Mark III Red Stripe Head +Buy soon or its gone+ $975 Out the Door!!

Started by tsbot, February 14, 2016, 03:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsbot

Buy it here and get it cheaper!  It's on eBay with no reserve w a 3 day sale.

https://reverb.com/item/1664612-mesa-boogie-mark-iii-head-red-stripe-price-drop

Hoody

This is a great amp, and i'd say a very good price.  I paid a good bit more, and then put another $150 into it.  But they're tanks, will last another 30 years.

If someone is looking for an MKIII, this is as good of a price on this model as i think you'll see.

Curious what settings the poster TSBOT likes on it.  I keep mixing it up now and finding new ones i like.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Hoody on February 16, 2016, 01:19:44 PM
This is a great amp, and i'd say a very good price.  I paid a good bit more, and then put another $150 into it.  But they're tanks, will last another 30 years.

If someone is looking for an MKIII, this is as good of a price on this model as i think you'll see.

Curious what settings the poster TSBOT likes on it.  I keep mixing it up now and finding new ones i like.

Agreed with all the above!

I went back to that "Meta-Study" of Trey's Mark III settings thread, and I've been using the lower input volume that Walker picked up from the Pro-Audio-Star photos of Trey's rig. I added the settings I've been using at the top of the thread. I think one of the tough things is how much guitar speakers are effected by the room. When I was using a 1x12, I would put it on my pedaltrain hardcase so it sat on something the same / consistent at every gig and every venue. When I finished that TRM Trucker Style 212 I'm using, I had it on a stand, and I realized it sounded very nasal as compared to standing it on the hardwood floor at my place. Without changing a knob, moving the cabinet from 3 inches off the floor to sitting on the hardwood, it went from sounding nasal to smooth. Likewise, if I moved it 6 inches forward onto the carpet, it might sound muffled and dark. If I moved my cab 4 inches back, it would be nearly against the wall and sound too compressed/dead/bassy. If I took the amp to the basement, the treble might bounce off the concrete and sound ice-pick-like in my ears. Likewise, I have been making slight adjustments to the microphone I built into the cab. So many minute changes makes a big difference. I think having the 212 with V30's couple with a hardwood floor is really ideal for Trey's tone. He always has his cabinet on the ground and I think most stages are known for resonating (for better or worse - some sound guys go through lengths to isolate their mics from those vibrations) in the bass / lower frequencies. If I'm not running such a midrange focused setup as you get with a TS>Comp>Mesa>V30, I like to decouple the amp from the floor so it sounds tighter, but lately I've been thinking his rig sounds best on a wood floor.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on February 16, 2016, 02:01:56 PM

I went back to that "Meta-Study" of Trey's Mark III settings thread, and I've been using the lower input volume that Walker picked up from the Pro-Audio-Star photos of Trey's rig. I added the settings I've been using at the top of the thread. I think one of the tough things is how much guitar speakers are effected by the room. When I was using a 1x12, I would put it on my pedaltrain hardcase so it sat on something the same / consistent at every gig and every venue. When I finished that TRM Trucker Style 212 I'm using, I had it on a stand, and I realized it sounded very nasal as compared to standing it on the hardwood floor at my place. Without changing a knob, moving the cabinet from 3 inches off the floor to sitting on the hardwood, it went from sounding nasal to smooth. Likewise, if I moved it 6 inches forward onto the carpet, it might sound muffled and dark. If I moved my cab 4 inches back, it would be nearly against the wall and sound too compressed/dead/bassy. If I took the amp to the basement, the treble might bounce off the concrete and sound ice-pick-like in my ears. Likewise, I have been making slight adjustments to the microphone I built into the cab. So many minute changes makes a big difference. I think having the 212 with V30's couple with a hardwood floor is really ideal for Trey's tone. He always has his cabinet on the ground and I think most stages are known for resonating (for better or worse - some sound guys go through lengths to isolate their mics from those vibrations) in the bass / lower frequencies. If I'm not running such a midrange focused setup as you get with a TS>Comp>Mesa>V30, I like to decouple the amp from the floor so it sounds tighter, but lately I've been thinking his rig sounds best on a wood floor.

Definitely agree with coupling differences/a amp stand. I have my Redplate set up on my brick fireplace and it simulates the floor and you can really tell the difference from it being on a stand and losing some bass frequencies. I'll have to experiment more for sure. The carpet in my basement may make it sound dead, but I'll have to try. I may install Fender style tilt back legs to bring to jams and such.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on February 16, 2016, 02:55:44 PM

Definitely agree with coupling differences/a amp stand. I have my Redplate set up on my brick fireplace and it simulates the floor and you can really tell the difference from it being on a stand and losing some bass frequencies. I'll have to experiment more for sure. The carpet in my basement may make it sound dead, but I'll have to try. I may install Fender style tilt back legs to bring to jams and such.

When I had a wide 1x12 or horizontal 212, I thought of doing tilt back legs and a piggy-back attachment. They aren't cheap, but a cool option.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on February 16, 2016, 06:14:59 PM
Quote from: Buffered on February 16, 2016, 02:55:44 PM

When I had a wide 1x12 or horizontal 212, I thought of doing tilt back legs and a piggy-back attachment. They aren't cheap, but a cool option.

Have any of you guys used the Standback amp stand? Seems like it has all the benefits of a stand without having to carry a amp stand to a gig
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation