What strings do you use?

Started by webephishin, February 23, 2016, 06:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webephishin

Curious to hear what strings you guys use.  Do you use certain strings depending on the genre of music you play?  Have you experimented with different brands of strings?  What differences did you notice?  I've been using DR Tite fit 10's for some time.  They have been good but I think they corrode too quickly and seem a little bit too tinny/bright, so i'm thinking about changing it up a bit. 
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

bigebeer

For a long time I used Thomas Vinci Strings and really loved them. However I was going through them like mad and they are a little pricey because of shipping & handling. I switched to d'addario 10s and while I don't like them as much I got used to them and can buy locally in bulk for very cheap. I use them for everything except jazz, I prefer flat wounds there for a mellower tone.

Heady Jam Fan

The DR Tite Fit 10's sound and play just fine IMO, but they are more than often a bit wonky and won't intonate.

I use Ernie Ball Slinky 10's. Cheap, consistent, easy to play, which is important since I've hurt my fretting hand in the past.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

sour d

I prefer leftover cabling from the Zakim bridge in Boston when I can get 'em or DR tite fit
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

tsbot

Paul winds his with D'addario XL 10-46.  I've been sticking to that but went the NYXL, really liking them.

Buffered

For me the EXL110's just work. They intonate fairly easily on all my guitars, and are bright. I go through them a little faster but I don't mind and 3 packs for $10 is a nice price for strings for me.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Down_With_Sco

Xavier 10's on strat and tele
Xavier 11's on the LP

Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Helping Friendly

I just bought a set of Thomastik-Infeld Jazz BeBop stings. Haven't tried them yet though.  I currently use Pyramid pure nickel round wound.  If not those DR pure blues. I really like pure nickel round wound on archtops

Jkendrick

Like many of you, I tried the DR Tite Fit because of Trey. I personally hated them. I currently use D'addario pure nickel round wound 11s.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Helping Friendly

Quote from: Jkendrick on February 29, 2016, 09:33:07 AM
Like many of you, I tried the DR Tite Fit because of Trey. I personally hated them. I currently use D'addario pure nickel round wound 11s.

Was Trey known to use tite fit DR's or Pure Blues DR's?
I've tried both and I prefer the pure blues DR's. The Tite fits are nickel plated steel while PB's are pure nickel, which make them softer and more comfortable than the tight fit. A little less tension as well. I would think Trey would opt for the more vintage style pure nickel on a quality archtop like that. Better tone imo. Not as shrill.
  We know he used DR's but are we sure they were tite fits? Could just be assumed? I'm thinking someone said "he uses DR's" and someone assumed the Tite fits.
  Nickel plated steel strings are more popular just for the simple fact that people stay away from pure nickel because they are unaware of what they're all about. There are very little options of pure nickel compared to nickel plated now a days. Back in the day it was the opposite, and mostly, if not all were Pure nickel. Steel is waaay cheaper than nickel. Probably why alot of string makers started using steel?

Fun fact: I just looked up cost per pound
Steel = 0.23 cents
Nickel  = $3.94

bigebeer

He's on D'addario's now but still must have an endorsement deal with DR because he listed them in the GuitarMag interview. But if you look at pictures of the last few tours you can clearly see the colored ball ends in his tailpiece which is D'Addarios signature.