Trey's Languedoc Cab: Batting / Wadding / insulation - anyone try it?

Started by Heady Jam Fan, March 16, 2016, 11:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

What effect does it have? My understanding is you need a few inches on 3 sides of the cab, which makes the cab "bigger" in acoustical physics: lowers the bass and smooths out the frequency response a bit. I know using actual fiberglass, as Trey apparently uses, is supposed to be bad: the vibrations aerate the fibers which end up jamming the speakers and our lungs. But I know a lot of cabinets have polyester (Dacron) wadding.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

The key is to keep a chicken living inside.  Poultry brings out the creamy mids.  ;D
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Happyorange27 on March 16, 2016, 12:54:37 PM
The key is to keep a chicken living inside.  Poultry brings out the creamy mids.  ;D

Makes it squawk

PS - I'm digging my tone lately and not asking about this for any particular reason other than curiosity and boredom :D. Its cheap, I like projects, so maybe I'll try it, but figured I'd see what people thought, if they've already done the experiment. My understand is the padding would have little effect in an open back cabinet. But apparently Trey has had his insulated for years, so who knows?
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Helping Friendly

I was wondering about this awhile back. I guess it would be easy to try but I'm scared of being ichy. Lol

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Helping Friendly on March 21, 2016, 06:54:03 PM
I was wondering about this awhile back. I guess it would be easy to try but I'm scared of being ichy. Lol

So looking into this a bit more, the issues I found with trying it are that apparently insulation and Dacron (polyester wadding) have very different acoustic properties. Insulation can become airborne due to sound wave vibrations causing problems with lungs or speakers if they get inside the voice coil. Also, I've been told this has pretty minimal effect on an open-back cab.

Helping Friendly

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on March 21, 2016, 08:51:51 PM

So looking into this a bit more, the issues I found with trying it are that apparently insulation and Dacron (polyester wadding) have very different acoustic properties. Insulation can become airborne due to sound wave vibrations causing problems with lungs or speakers if they get inside the voice coil. Also, I've been told this has pretty minimal effect on an open-back cab.
That makes sense.  So the question is why would Trey do it?  It seems silly to do if it has such a minimal effect?
Do you think I could get the same results if the insulation was covered by plastic? Like a giant ziplock? I would feel alot safer to try it that way.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Helping Friendly on March 22, 2016, 09:43:20 AM

That makes sense.  So the question is why would Trey do it?  It seems silly to do if it has such a minimal effect?
Do you think I could get the same results if the insulation was covered by plastic? Like a giant ziplock? I would feel alot safer to try it that way.

Not sure if the plastic from the Ziploc would have a negative effect. I wonder if insulation in the form of panels, rather than the free-floating-foam stuff, would have similar properties with less likelihood of becoming airborne. That might be a relatively safe way to try it out.

Helping Friendly

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on March 22, 2016, 10:11:12 AM

Not sure if the plastic from the Ziploc would have a negative effect. I wonder if insulation in the form of panels, rather than the free-floating-foam stuff, would have similar properties with less likelihood of becoming airborne. That might be a relatively safe way to try it out.

I agree my dude. Let us know if you ever try it. I'm gona have to wait for now. I just ordered a vovox sonorus cable. Expensive but from what I've heard top notch.  My rig is getting close to done. I'm gona post a thread on it soon! Hopefully...

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Helping Friendly on March 22, 2016, 02:19:06 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on March 22, 2016, 10:11:12 AM

I agree my dude. Let us know if you ever try it. I'm gona have to wait for now. I just ordered a vovox sonorus cable. Expensive but from what I've heard top notch.  My rig is getting close to done. I'm gona post a thread on it soon! Hopefully...

Nice feeling when your rig is complete ;)

I feel pretty complete with my rig. I've been thinking about a whammy, but I don't know if I can fit it on my pedalboard. If I can't fit it on my board, it wouldn't be in my TB Loop Switch, so I would want a Whammy with True Bypass... I also sold my Artinger, largely for financial reasons, and I'm thinking about a more affordable custom hollowbody.

Speaking of guitars, I was going back to that magazine article on Trey's guitar. I think it was in guitar player magazine. They listed the distance from each pickup to the strings, as well as the action (distance from fret 12 to strings). This shows I have way too much time to think about this stuff, but... I was thinking about distance from the pickups to the strings and wondering how you guys set your pickup pole screws? I know a lot of guitarists roughly set them to match the radius of the strings, then adjust to taste. For example, if I recall correctly, Trey's neck pickup is 5 32nds from the string. If the screw beneath each E-string is flush with the pickup cover, and set at 5 32nds from the E strings respectively above them, I guess the 4 middle screws could be raised so that each one of them is also 5 32nds from their respective string.

Anyway, I had setup my guitar a while back. I didn't measure when I setup the guitar, but out of curiosity (from reading that article), I took some measurements last night. My pickups were each approximately 1 32nd further from the strings than Trey's guitar according to the article. I had adjusted the screws on the neck pickup to an arch not quite as rounded as the string radius (my string radius is fairly flat at the bridge: 14"), and left the bridge pickup's screws flat with the treble side of the pickup slightly lower than the bass side.

I used to avoid playing with these settings because I thought it would lead me down a rabbit's hole, and I'd feel like I could never get back to the "good" tone where I started ;). But I guess since the rest of my rig feels pretty good, I starting thinking about these small tweaks more, which I guess a lot of people pay a lot of attention to.

afountas

The cab with the insulation is from way way back in the day.  He talks in the rig rundown about how they didn't even know how to cut the speaker hole correctly when they first made it.  I bet they just put the insulation in without much rationale, (maybe because it's common in closed back or car speakers?)... and it sounded good, so they stuck with it.
Guitars: Equator Mini, Fender Strat Deluxe, Tacoma Custom Build Koa (acoustic), Taylor NS74CE (acoustic)> Martin D16GT (acoustic)>

Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell >  OD9 Silver > OD9 Silver > Analogman BiComp >
Loop Master 5 Loop (w/tuner out): 1. (Korg Pitchblack Tuner) 2. Whammy 5 w/ Midi  3. Black Cat Vibe 4. Line 6 M13 5.(empty) 6. Boomerang III

Amp: 1990 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue w/ Weber Blue Dog 50 watt Paper Cone Light Dope

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: afountas on March 22, 2016, 05:03:43 PM
The cab with the insulation is from way way back in the day.  He talks in the rig rundown about how they didn't even know how to cut the speaker hole correctly when they first made it.  I bet they just put the insulation in without much rationale, (maybe because it's common in closed back or car speakers?)... and it sounded good, so they stuck with it.

Yeah, I think your spot on.

connor117

heady

which article about his guitar are you referring to?

cheers

Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan