Trey's Languedoc Cab: Batting / Wadding / insulation - anyone try it?

Started by Heady Jam Fan, March 16, 2016, 11:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helping Friendly

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on March 22, 2016, 02:41:51 PM
Quote from: Helping Friendly on March 22, 2016, 02:19:06 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on March 22, 2016, 10:11:12 AM
Quote from: Helping Friendly on March 22, 2016, 09:43:20 AM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on March 21, 2016, 08:51:51 PM
Quote from: Helping Friendly on March 21, 2016, 06:54:03 PM
I was wondering about this awhile back. I guess it would be easy to try but I'm scared of being ichy. Lol

So looking into this a bit more, the issues I found with trying it are that apparently insulation and Dacron (polyester wadding) have very different acoustic properties. Insulation can become airborne due to sound wave vibrations causing problems with lungs or speakers if they get inside the voice coil. Also, I've been told this has pretty minimal effect on an open-back cab.
That makes sense.  So the question is why would Trey do it?  It seems silly to do if it has such a minimal effect?
Do you think I could get the same results if the insulation was covered by plastic? Like a giant ziplock? I would feel alot safer to try it that way.

Not sure if the plastic from the Ziploc would have a negative effect. I wonder if insulation in the form of panels, rather than the free-floating-foam stuff, would have similar properties with less likelihood of becoming airborne. That might be a relatively safe way to try it out.

I agree my dude. Let us know if you ever try it. I'm gona have to wait for now. I just ordered a vovox sonorus cable. Expensive but from what I've heard top notch.  My rig is getting close to done. I'm gona post a thread on it soon! Hopefully...

Nice feeling when your rig is complete ;)

I feel pretty complete with my rig. I've been thinking about a whammy, but I don't know if I can fit it on my pedalboard. If I can't fit it on my board, it wouldn't be in my TB Loop Switch, so I would want a Whammy with True Bypass... I also sold my Artinger, largely for financial reasons, and I'm thinking about a more affordable custom hollowbody.

Speaking of guitars, I was going back to that magazine article on Trey's guitar. I think it was in guitar player magazine. They listed the distance from each pickup to the strings, as well as the action (distance from fret 12 to strings). This shows I have way too much time to think about this stuff, but... I was thinking about distance from the pickups to the strings and wondering how you guys set your pickup pole screws? I know a lot of guitarists roughly set them to match the radius of the strings, then adjust to taste. For example, if I recall correctly, Trey's neck pickup is 5 32nds from the string. If the screw beneath each E-string is flush with the pickup cover, and set at 5 32nds from the E strings respectively above them, I guess the 4 middle screws could be raised so that each one of them is also 5 32nds from their respective string.

Anyway, I had setup my guitar a while back. I didn't measure when I setup the guitar, but out of curiosity (from reading that article), I took some measurements last night. My pickups were each approximately 1 32nd further from the strings than Trey's guitar according to the article. I had adjusted the screws on the neck pickup to an arch not quite as rounded as the string radius (my string radius is fairly flat at the bridge: 14"), and left the bridge pickup's screws flat with the treble side of the pickup slightly lower than the bass side.

I used to avoid playing with these settings because I thought it would lead me down a rabbit's hole, and I'd feel like I could never get back to the "good" tone where I started ;). But I guess since the rest of my rig feels pretty good, I starting thinking about these small tweaks more, which I guess a lot of people pay a lot of attention to.

I need to get on of those measuring tools. I feel like my pole pieces are extremely close. But I like the tone better. I feel I get the most harmonic detail that way. Who knows though I'm horrible with measurements unless its in incriminates of 1/4". Now I'm curious were mine is exactly. Damn!

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Helping Friendly on March 23, 2016, 12:10:24 PM

I need to get on of those measuring tools. I feel like my pole pieces are extremely close. But I like the tone better. I feel I get the most harmonic detail that way. Who knows though I'm horrible with measurements unless its in incriminates of 1/4". Now I'm curious were mine is exactly. Damn!

It was $5 on ebay for a precision ruler. Don't go for the ones that are like $2-3.

I think my action was set slightly lower than Trey's according to that article. I always worked to get mine as low as possible while eliminating buzz because I've hurt my left (fretting) hand in the past and low action is key for me, especially on 25.5" fret scale necks.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Walker done done

I Have an old ratty pillow in the back of my cab.  Kind of like insulation, plus if I ever got too twisted I could just take it out and then nap right there. 
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.