Can anyone help me tab a Talking Heads solo?

Started by No Nice Guy, March 29, 2016, 06:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Nice Guy

So I still don't trust my ear very much, and I've wanted to play this for a while.  In the live album Stop Making Sense, they start Crosseyed and Painless in a funky, slow tempo, and right before they speed up to the song's tempo one of the guitarists teases the melody line of the chorus - I'm trying to figure out how to play that.

He plays it at about 0:37 in this video, right after the drum fill.  It's tough to get a good view of the fretboard but it's somewhere around the 8th fret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyDb4szpWmc
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Down_With_Sco

David plays that intro line solo with his Boss pedals and the alembic(?).

first line in on the B string

e---------------------------
B--10-----9--10-9---------
G-------------------11-----
D------------------------9-

harmony line

e--9------10-7----7-9-77---------------9-10--12-14-7----7-9-77---
B-----------------------------------------------------------------------
G-----------------------------------------------------------------------
D----------------------------99---------------------------------------99-
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo