Main Menu

Trey's speakers

Started by connor117, April 14, 2016, 01:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

connor117

ok so i had a thread awhile ago and it was agreed that in the 90s trey was using the V30s.

it seems a lot of folks here are exploring other speakers. can some of you share your experiences, and why you chose NOT to you v30s??

it seems a mark iii, with v30s, tubescreamers, a ross, and a sweet hollow body are the basics for that mid 90s formula.

i know trey had v30s in the deluxe when he played that too. i believe the bruno cab had Blues tho.

i lot of people hate on the v30 as being inefficient. icepicky. too much upper mids. thats also why people harsh on ts pedals, but i feel its the mids in both that help the guitar sit in the mix so well.

i know the purple hazes are in effect know, but i think w/o the ross and adding the tube factor things are different now....

if speakers are 40% of you amp sound, as it is said, what speakers are similar, but perhaps "tastier", with the mesa. speaker technology has come a good ways since 1993.

i hope you know where im coming from. I've read a lot, and worked with v30s, jbls, EVs, jenson, and other celestions.
just curious as to others' thoughts and experiences.

thanks for sharing

Heady Jam Fan

I love the V30's! To add to our previous convo...

I think the new Purple Haze speakers sound good, but they aren't the classic Trey. I think he is still using his Ross, but set mildly. However, less compression and less upper mid bite (after ditching the V30's) leaves a less powerful, urgent, soaring tone. I think the Purple Haze was good for the Jerry thing, but I prefer the V30's. I think they are a big part of the early 90's tone. Also, I don't think V30's are inefficient. They are rated 100db, which is as loud as anything else.

Even though V30's aren't new tech, I don't know that there is necessarily anything that improves upon it. If you want something to complement the V30, I'd maybe consider an Eminence Red Fang. Much more affordable than the Gold. I think solely Alnico gets a little to compressed at high volumes with the Mark III, but paired the a ceramic magnet speaker like the V30, it should be ok.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

connor117

thanks for sharing heady!

anyone else?

anyone have experience with austin speakers or warehouse guitar speakers?
cheers

Down_With_Sco

I have a V30 in my combo but it's negative wire is disconnected currently so I only my mesa 2x12 with C90s and I've come to like the balance of the two. The Blue stripe is very bright and aggressive and can get even more so when I really crank the eq, that said the C90 speakers balance out the sound nicely for me and I don't really see the need to change speakers (if I do I'm thinking the Creamback H75s)

With that said, using the Ross compressor kind of mellows out the highs too much for me sometimes and I gotta fiddle with my treble a bit. The V30's probably compensate for that a little bit better since their voicing.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo