Trey's use of reverb

Started by Buffered, May 06, 2016, 11:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffered

Hey all,

Picked up a Strymon Blue Sky and I really dig it so far for ambient reverb and subtle room stuff as well, but as a huge Phish fan we're all curious "What would Trey do?" I haven't focused on reverb as much as I hoped I had in years-past, and Trey's use of reverb is something unknown to me. How does Trey use reverb? I know he jumps between a few settings.

Thanks guys

PS - Anyone going to Riviera Maya this Winter? I'll be at the Hard Rock Resort, SD.org meetup?
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Buffered

Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

afountas

Is the question, does he use any reverb effects without delay?  Because, based on his gear, it seems like he doesn't use anything explicitly for reverb.   but many of the delay type effects he uses have reverb in them... microverb reverse delay for sure to me sounds reverby and the newer supa puss definitely has a natural reverb that sits under the delay. 

Guitars: Equator Mini, Fender Strat Deluxe, Tacoma Custom Build Koa (acoustic), Taylor NS74CE (acoustic)> Martin D16GT (acoustic)>

Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell >  OD9 Silver > OD9 Silver > Analogman BiComp >
Loop Master 5 Loop (w/tuner out): 1. (Korg Pitchblack Tuner) 2. Whammy 5 w/ Midi  3. Black Cat Vibe 4. Line 6 M13 5.(empty) 6. Boomerang III

Amp: 1990 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue w/ Weber Blue Dog 50 watt Paper Cone Light Dope

Heady Jam Fan

Tough question.

IIRC the gaffer tape on his Mesa says 7 or 8, but he also has the footswitch plugged in (albeit off to the side of his rig) to turn down the reverb if he wants. Conversely, the gaffer tape on the Deluxe Reverb says the reverb is turned off. However, I always think I hear distinct DR reverb in certain years' live music.

I don't know much about his recent setup (ie., newer pedals), but the Supa Puss is a delay, right? And to be honest, I think the Microverb's reverse reverb sounds more like a delay as well.

When I am playing alone at home, sometimes I turn the reverb up to about 7 on my Mesa, but I like my notes to jump out more and usually set it around 4. When recording, I turn it off and use post-processing effects (for many reasons) rather than onboard reverb. Live, I usually turn it way down, even off if the FOH sound guy has reverb and prefers doing it that way (especially because reverb is louder via the mic and can be overpowering an a poor acoustic environment), unless I'm playing terribly and I want a bit of reverby "cushion" ;)
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9