Summer 2016 trey rig

Started by Down_With_Sco, June 25, 2016, 01:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down_With_Sco

Right away Trey showed off his new guitar in Minnesota. It is a Maple top with Mahogany back and sides and also Maple binding this time. Looks like he played the Koa #1 all n1 of Wrigley.

Have't had many good shots of the side, but Trey does have the DR out and the Mesa propped vertical.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Heady Jam Fan

Nice!

Man, he has a collection of those 'Docs... Maybe he can share?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Brian27

Besides his Docs, I saw he had his Boogie Head besides his Speaker Cabs and he also had what looked like his Modded DR beside his rack. I could be wrong since there have been no close ups, but i watched the DWD from yesterday and the Fender Jewel light was on.

Helping Friendly

I don't think it is a spruce top. I think there's an article out there that is false. Someone I just talked to said they spoke to Paul about it and it is Maple top Mahogany sides with flamed maple binding. I can't believe he just got this because if I was to get a doc built it would be this exact set-up!
I heard he broke a string on it during first set which is why he went to koa #1 mid set.

Helping Friendly

Maybe he said walnut sides I forget.. but definitely maple top...  ;)

webephishin

Quote from: Helping Friendly on June 25, 2016, 06:06:29 PM
I don't think it is a spruce top. I think there's an article out there that is false. Someone I just talked to said they spoke to Paul about it and it is Maple top Mahogany sides with flamed maple binding. I can't believe he just got this because if I was to get a doc built it would be this exact set-up!
I heard he broke a string on it during first set which is why he went to koa #1 mid set.

Yeah he broke a string early first set in St. Paul then he switched to the koa and hasn't gone back.
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Down_With_Sco

Quote from: Brian27 on June 25, 2016, 05:51:16 PM
Besides his Docs, I saw he had his Boogie Head besides his Speaker Cabs and he also had what looked like his Modded DR beside his rack. I could be wrong since there have been no close ups, but i watched the DWD from yesterday and the Fender Jewel light was on.

Yep, got the boogie head listed and yea he has a DR next to the rack unit and a DR behind him.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Heady Jam Fan

Spruce and maple have nearly opposite qualities. Hard to tell with the stage lighting in the pic.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

tsbot

The way things sound live I'd venture it is spruce.  But that could be his new coil splitting too.  I emailed Paul yesterday but I don't know if he'll get back to me.  Hopefully,  but not entirely optimistic.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: tsbot on June 27, 2016, 01:55:53 PM
The way things sound live I'd venture it is spruce.  But that could be his new coil splitting too.  I emailed Paul yesterday but I don't know if he'll get back to me.  Hopefully,  but not entirely optimistic.

Yeah, I don't know - hard to tell. This pic kinda looks like Maple to me:

Down_With_Sco

Personally I'm more of a Maple fan... and since I play an LP mainly, if I were to get a Languedoc it would be Maple top with Mahogany back and sides (or maybe Walnut just to mix it up).

I agree, it definitely has more of a curly Maple flame to it than the Spruce guitar before that got refinished.

seriesnuns

Quote from: Down_With_Sco on June 27, 2016, 04:15:52 PM
Personally I'm more of a Maple fan... and since I play an LP mainly, if I were to get a Languedoc it would be Maple top with Mahogany back and sides (or maybe Walnut just to mix it up).

I agree, it definitely has more of a curly Maple flame to it than the Spruce guitar before that got refinished.

Check out the neck pickup angle and how much he raised the adjustable pole pieces.

Down_With_Sco

tsbot

Just heard back from Paul - this is cut and paste from my email.  First question was asking specs to put to rest the inaccuracies out there.  Second question was if it was built in my same batch, I told him I was intrlgued by that.  Here are his replies:

1. Mahogany body with a curly maple top. The switches are as follows:
switch 1 drops the two inside coils, leaving the outside coils active;
switch 2 flips the coils so that the inside coils are the active ones.

2. Yes. I built this guitar on spec and lent it to Trey recently for a
rehearsal. He decided he liked it.

Jkendrick

1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT