Bought my first Equator

Started by Helping Friendly, July 06, 2016, 05:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helping Friendly

I just bought a previously owned mini. It shoud arive Friday. Ive never owned one before so i wanted to ask you guys that have one what to expect. It has a maple top and back, mascare sides and that colorado neck David uses. I really wanted to find one with a maple neck but I couldn't so I took a chance with this one. I know nothing about Colorado wood? Anyone know what it is similar to?

Also what gauge strings do you guys feel works best with it? Anyone try different pickup combos? Would love to hear some experiences or suggestions on how to get the most out this mini  :)
Thanks dudes

Heady Jam Fan

Looks great!

Maple is pretty bright and snappy with great sustain. The soft maple (well, relatively soft - still one of the hardest, brightest woods) such as on your guitar, is not quite as bright and sustaining as the hard maple (which is what I went with on my current guitar).

What pickups are in it, before anyone runs away with suggesting their favorite pickup of the day ;) ? If it has SD 59's, I'd stick with what you've got. I also can't recall what wiring David uses regarding the mini switches. Are they both coil-taps (one for each pickups), a master-coil tap and a series/parallel switch, or something other than setups Trey has used? I tend to either go single-coil or humbucker, so I don't usually wire 2 coil-tap switches (one for each pickup), rather I do a master coil tap.

More on coil-tap / single-coil mode... You can wire the coil-tap mode so that the guitar is still humbucking when the pickup selector is in the in-between position. A humbucker is basically two single-coil pickups that are RWRP and wired in series. In other words, each humbucker has one north and one south coil. You want to keep a north coil active from one humbucker and a south coil active from the other humbucker.

As far as strings, I never got along with the DR Tite Fit 10's that Trey endorsed. I often had problems with intonation. I play Ernie Ball Slinky 10's because they are cheap, work well and I personally like the slinkiness because I hurt my fretting hand in the past. Whenever I get a new guitar, I always make sure the nut fits the strings very well. If its too tight (and you hear the strings pop as you tune) or too loose/sloppy, its no good: take it to a good luthier.

If you notice any issues with keeping tune after the guitar has adjusted to the environment at your home (heat and humidity), and there isn't any issue with the nut, I always check out the tuners. He probably uses good tuners, but you can get a set of locking tuners for like $30-60. I used a set of Jinho (generic, but they make most of the tuners out there) with a 19:1 ratio and they were the best tuner's I've used, with sperzel-style locking.

There is an article posted discussing Trey's pickup heights. You can get a high precision ruler for like $5 and double check the pickups heights because who knows whose changed them.

Oh - and get some strap locks!
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fanch

Congratulations on the purchase.  I will keep it brief as I know that some don't like Equators.  However, I too purchased a used one recently (standard) and I have been very happy with my decision.  Interesting to have to learn how to control the feedback at first.

to shed some light on the mini switching schematic (this is what I have been told by the buyer who has another Equator):

Up (i.e. towards you) - parallel
Middle - series
Down (away from you) - humbucker

The pickups this came with are Electric City RD 59 Revival - i like them. 

have fun and enjoy.

dustin

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: fanch on July 07, 2016, 11:04:26 PM
Congratulations on the purchase.  I will keep it brief as I know that some don't like Equators.  However, I too purchased a used one recently (standard) and I have been very happy with my decision.  Interesting to have to learn how to control the feedback at first.

to shed some light on the mini switching schematic (this is what I have been told by the buyer who has another Equator):

Up (i.e. towards you) - parallel
Middle - series
Down (away from you) - humbucker

The pickups this came with are Electric City RD 59 Revival - i like them. 

have fun and enjoy.

dustin

Each of the mini switches are 3-way? I had that on my Artinger. The parallel setting is still humbucking, quieter than a single coil, but also warmer (not quite as midrange-focused as a humbucker). I didn't love the parallel setting, felt it was a bit dull. What about when each mini toggle is set to single coil and your pickup selector is in the middle (in-between) position - is it humbucking?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Helping Friendly

Thanks for the info guys! I believe this one is setup a little different than a doc or a standard equator.  The guy I bought it from said instead of there being a master coil split switch for both pickups and another switch for series/parallel, there is a three-way switch for each pickup that is single coil/humbucker/out-of-phase.
I'm not sure I'm going to leave it that way. I was never a fan of out of phase.

It has duncan 59's in it. I'll probably put an a4 mag in the neck as I usually do with all my guitars. And I might opt for something with a little more output in the bridge.  Maybe a duncan custom.

And I agree. I hate the fact that I bought an equator.  Even though I bought one I am not a fan of them or any doc copy for that manner. The only reason I did is because Paul would not acknowledge my emails what so ever. What does a guy do who wants a smaller body archtop? That's why I got the pederson j2 but I just let it go because it had a 25" scale length as most hollowbodys do. So really I felt like I didn't have much options as far as smaller sized hollowbodys with a 25.5" scale length.  I would of gladly got a doc but Paul is obviously not able to respond to me. Oh well. Now I'm stuck with a wanabe doc.  Damn it Paul look what you made me do! I hate myself now. Lol

seriesnuns

I laugh when people have issues with people copying languedocs. No one seems to bat an eye with all the Garcia copies.

If Paul wanted more business he would put more effort into production but it seems you have to know someone to get on his list.

I'm happy with my equator, current have imperials in it, but I am thinking of switching back to 59s. 

Helping Friendly

Right on right on. It just arrived UPS. I'm gona let it acclimate till tomorrow before I open it up.

Poster

Problem was that he made junk guitars with underpaid labor, was kinda a dick about admitting it... Looks like he's learned how to build them better - at other peoples expense. Glad people are happy - really sucked to get one of the early ones and get flamed for not liking it. I spent a good bit of money fixing it before selling it no reserve :)

Helping Friendly

I couldn't resist! Last night at midnight I took it out of the shipping box and left it in its case. Now this morning I finally opened her up and to my surprise it was just a few bricks wrapped in news paper! Just kidding. Lol.
My first impression was how freaking loud this guitar is unplugged . I wasn't used to that with the pederson. I checked this thing up and down and I gotta say I honestly can't find any building flaws. I think Poster is right when he says David got better. That was another reason I pulled the trigger on this is because it was built late 2014. I haven't plugged it in yet but so far I'm happy with how it feels and looks. I noticed the 25.5 scale length right away. I really must hate 25". No more over bending notes  and mushy high register notes with the longer scale.
I'll try to post a review after I play this thing plugged in with some pedals. Well I should say I'll probably play it straight into the amp for awhile before I add any effects. I want to get to know the instrument in a pure state before I start adding envelope filters into whammy. Just kidding I don't even own an envelope filter.lol
If anyone has any questions feel free.

seriesnuns

I really think these hollowbody sound better/different when they take additional sounds into the guitar and get it vibrating.

More than just the sound of the amp your playing. If you play along with songs get it loud enough so the guitar is vibrating from the sound. That's where I think these small hollow bodies shine.

Helping Friendly

Quote from: seriesnuns on July 09, 2016, 09:31:06 AM
I really think these hollowbody sound better/different when they take additional sounds into the guitar and get it vibrating.

More than just the sound of the amp your playing. If you play along with songs get it loud enough so the guitar is vibrating from the sound. That's where I think these small hollow bodies shine.

I know exactly what you mean. With my Pederson every time I looped a loud rythem or played with a band I got that. As soon as those sound waves enter the f- holes it becomes alive and sustains forever.