Main Menu

Compressor Volume

Started by afountas, August 19, 2016, 09:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afountas

I noticed when I set my comp at unity volume the feedback from the silver screamers is inconsistent an  little harsh sounding. but if dropping the comp volume slightly below unity (maybe 20% lower), the overall tone is better and get I get a smoother sustain.

comp is a analogman BiComp -using the ross side with sustain level between 10-11 o'clock. 

Anyone else have experience with this?
Guitars: Equator Mini, Fender Strat Deluxe, Tacoma Custom Build Koa (acoustic), Taylor NS74CE (acoustic)> Martin D16GT (acoustic)>

Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell >  OD9 Silver > OD9 Silver > Analogman BiComp >
Loop Master 5 Loop (w/tuner out): 1. (Korg Pitchblack Tuner) 2. Whammy 5 w/ Midi  3. Black Cat Vibe 4. Line 6 M13 5.(empty) 6. Boomerang III

Amp: 1990 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue w/ Weber Blue Dog 50 watt Paper Cone Light Dope

bigebeer

That's about where Trey and I set ours.

Heady Jam Fan

I set the sustain a bit lower - 9 o'clock. I used to set it higher and dropped it over the years, concurrently having more success balancing the consistency between the tube screamers.

However, regarding the output, I agree with you. Trey has the volume knob on his set around noon. At least on my Ross (of course this can differ from pedal to pedal especially when they are that old), that is probably around the 20% under unity. Having said that, I recently just started using my Ross with the volume at unity. I've been using his older Mesa Boogie settings which are pretty dark and very clean, and I think running the Ross below unity was too much. If I have the amp's knobs a bit higher, I might turn the Ross back down. The interesting thing is - and maybe this is my mind playing tricks on me - just in the last couple days running the Ross's volume higher, I think it has more headroom that way: its less likely to be overdriven by a wah pedal, for example.

So just my 2cents. I would play around with: low Ross volume & high amp volume vs. higher Ross volume & lower amp volume (and possibly treble).
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Walker done done

I had big issues with the BiComp and sent it back after owning it for 3 weeks (this after waiting 18 months on the waiting list for it).  I'd sell it an get a Ross.  Worth it.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Arafel

I've had a BiComp for several years and love it. What issues did you have?
Guitars: German custom hollow Tele; Fender 60th anniversary Tele
Amps: Fender Twin Reverb (head conversion) -> Hard Truckers Fatty loaded with Celestion Century Vintages; Bogner New Yorker
Effects: RMC Wheels of Fire wah -> Analog Man King of Tone -> Analog Man Silvermod TS-9 -> Analog Man Astro-Tone-> Analog Man Bi-Comprossor -> Analog Man Bi-Chorus -> Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Analog Delay (with AMAZEO tap-tempo box) -> TC Electronic Ditto X2 looper - Ernie Ball volume pedal