Trey's Rack - Top Pedals

Started by afountas, October 27, 2016, 12:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afountas

https://treysguitarrig.com/2016/10/14/2016-fall/

The 3rd picture down shows the pedals on top of his rack, with sticker numbers that correspond to the CAE audio switchers.   So, what we learn:

You can see the TS9, Supa Puss and Tubefactor labels but the rest is me speculating:

1. Compressor (traditional location for a compressor but not something Trey usually does).  I am guessing this is the case since the volume levels on the screamers are turned down, otherwise the volume spike would be pretty substantial.
*2. Screamer Half Scream
*3. Screamer Full (volume at 11 o'clock)
*4. Tube Factor
5. Univibe (can't see it but a guess)
6. Microverb or DM 2000 (can't see it but guess)
7. Microverb or DM 2000 (can't see it but a guess)
*8. Supa Puss

Now, I have no idea how he's  running the pedals on the floor into these pedals and you could do some seriously funky routing with the CAE audio switchers he uses because each of the loops have seperate "In | Send | Return | Out" jacks.
Guitars: Equator Mini, Fender Strat Deluxe, Tacoma Custom Build Koa (acoustic), Taylor NS74CE (acoustic)> Martin D16GT (acoustic)>

Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell >  OD9 Silver > OD9 Silver > Analogman BiComp >
Loop Master 5 Loop (w/tuner out): 1. (Korg Pitchblack Tuner) 2. Whammy 5 w/ Midi  3. Black Cat Vibe 4. Line 6 M13 5.(empty) 6. Boomerang III

Amp: 1990 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue w/ Weber Blue Dog 50 watt Paper Cone Light Dope

Arafel

Do you know which Screamer is first in the chain? The way it looks here, the first one (half scream) is first, but I had always heard he went to the full screamer first, then used the second one as a boost. Or are they both on at all times?
Guitars: German custom hollow Tele; Fender 60th anniversary Tele
Amps: Fender Twin Reverb (head conversion) -> Hard Truckers Fatty loaded with Celestion Century Vintages; Bogner New Yorker
Effects: RMC Wheels of Fire wah -> Analog Man King of Tone -> Analog Man Silvermod TS-9 -> Analog Man Astro-Tone-> Analog Man Bi-Comprossor -> Analog Man Bi-Chorus -> Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Analog Delay (with AMAZEO tap-tempo box) -> TC Electronic Ditto X2 looper - Ernie Ball volume pedal

Brian27

The first Screamer is going to be the one with less drive. The second is the one has the drive all the way up. I am more interested in the Tubefactors placement, and use. Is it a clean boost for the amp? Is it a 3rd overdrive set to sound more dirtier then the 2nd screamer?

afountas

I think he has switched the order of the half scream and full scream order over the years.  But it appears now the half screamer comes first in the chain, then into the 2nd screamer with full scream based on the numbers and how the CAE switcher is numbered. 

They're definitely not both on all the time, and not sure if he's even using the half scream as a boost that's left on all the time. 

I think he's switching between them and when when the jams are peaking probably kicking both on to get some extra dirt and fatness.

I bet he's using the Tubefactor like a line buffer..  These pedals have two settings: Factor 1 and Factor 2.  When the pedal is ON it's in factor 1 mode which engages the preamp Tube it's driven by and just refines your tone. I bought one a few months ago and it's fucking sweet, I was blown away by how the much it articulated the guitar tone and made the clarity of the notes better, particularly when using it with the silver tube screamers.  Sort of reminds me of a Sarno Black Box but it adds more of a shimmery treble and it also has an additional drive setting.  That additional drive setting is "Factor 2".  I doubt Trey is using it, but I wouldn't rule it out because because it sounds sort of like a tubescreamer when engaged.

Guitars: Equator Mini, Fender Strat Deluxe, Tacoma Custom Build Koa (acoustic), Taylor NS74CE (acoustic)> Martin D16GT (acoustic)>

Effects:
Loop Master 5 Loop (w/tuner out): 1. (Korg Pitchblack Tuner) 2. Whammy 5 w/ Midi  3. Black Cat Vibe 4. Line 6 M13 5.(empty) 6. Boomerang III

Amp: 1990 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue w/ Weber Blue Dog 50 watt Paper Cone Light Dope

afountas

Also, regarding the Tubefactor.  When it's on Factor 1 with the drive settings at around 11 oclock and the output at about 8 o'clock you get almost no added drive to your tone but a whole lot better clarity of each note... particularly high end.  This is what i meant by it being similar to a Sarno Black Box.

The pedal's manual doesn't have those settings listed as a way to deliver a boost; however it does work.  If you set the Drive to 9 oclock and output to 3oclock you also get a neutral boost but your signal is just way hotter.

http://87.106.71.220/files/huke/customclass/tubefactor/manual/TubeFactor_Manual.pdf

Effects:

Helping Friendly

I thought I would ask this here instead of starting a new thread. Anyway i have a H&K TF on its way and I was curious where in the chain to run it? Before compression or after? Before or after Ts9? I think I'm gona use it as an always on type of thing. Thanks

afountas

I like it before the ts9s. I use it as an always on thing as well, like a signal buffer. I tried it after the ts9s but didn't like it as much, felt it changed the sound profile of them a little too much.  I think the Silver ts9s have a really soft shimmery sound and when feeding them into the TF it harshens it up a bit to much for me. But Trey has it after them which is sort of interesting. But I moved it before them and couldnt be happier. And if you're planning to use the factor 2 setting, I would probably recommend keeping it before compression because it has a pretty substantial volume spike that you cant really adjust and I feel the compressor helps keep that a little more in check.

Effects: