Main Menu

Treys MSG Rig

Started by wolfmansfather, December 23, 2016, 09:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfmansfather

2 808s and a klon.. New Trainwreck komet amp.. And 2 new bruno cabs.

wow

im excited to hear this!

seriesnuns

I think he's having some mid-life GAS. Ha

I'm curious to see what sticks.

Since 2009 I think we've had mainly the Mesa

Lately  Bogner, Fender, Marshall, now the Trainwreck.

I would like to know the story behind that TS808, looks like it's been reliced hard core.

wolfmansfather

haha.

ya i think the 808s are both vintage. not sure if any mods are done..

Hoody

That's 4 amps live in 2016.  Pretty unusual for him.  And 4 overdrive pedals.

And what, 4 different Languedocs.  Wonder why so many changes.

Can't wait to hear it.

Anyone ever figure out why he had that blue strat on stage for the entire fall tour?

Helping Friendly

Good point hoody. Those Komet amps seem pretty strait forward. They sound good from what I've heard on YouTube. In the mix I'm sure Trey will sound like Trey. It will be fun to hear any different subtleties tonight. I'll be in section 200's. Holla at me!

ColForbin

Quote from: Helping Friendly on December 28, 2016, 12:08:39 PM
Good point hoody. Those Komet amps seem pretty strait forward. They sound good from what I've heard on YouTube. In the mix I'm sure Trey will sound like Trey. It will be fun to hear any different subtleties tonight. I'll be in section 200's. Holla at me!

I haven't been here in a while, so sorry if I sound like a stranger....

But to your point, I heard him play in 2009 with a strat and he still sounded like Trey, it was stupid fun.  It was at the first Rothbury, Phish wasn't together and it was his first show since the arrest.  He got on stage with Mike Gordon's band.  Then Fishman joined.  Party.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Mister Buddy

Not to be nitpicky, but Trey was arrested 15 December 2006. He played five times later the same month; three times in 2007; fourteen times in 2008. Rothbury was by far from his first gig since being busted in Whitehall. But, yes, Trey sounds like Trey on a strat, tele, jag, SG, and whatever else he picks up :)

ColForbin

My bad, sorry.  I don't catch everything up in my hidey hole here in Canada. 
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Helping Friendly

Since this thread is still going I have to say with peace and love that I hated his tone at MSG this year. Too much bass! Way too much imo. Is Trey going def?? At many points it sounded like a 2 bass band. Not a fan. I love Trey and phish more than anything but I hope that Komet tone never comes back. Maybe the bass knob was just up too high for me? Idk man.  Ok thanks.  Peace and love,  peace and love.

Brian27

If i played in a band with a bass player the Bass on my amp would be completely off. He indeed sounded way bass heavy. Aren't 6L6's and EL34's pretty bass heavy tubes?

afountas

Maybe it's the TS 808 pedals?  I feel like they're a lot bassier sounding than the analogman silver modded ts9s.
Guitars: Equator Mini, Fender Strat Deluxe, Tacoma Custom Build Koa (acoustic), Taylor NS74CE (acoustic)> Martin D16GT (acoustic)>

Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell >  OD9 Silver > OD9 Silver > Analogman BiComp >
Loop Master 5 Loop (w/tuner out): 1. (Korg Pitchblack Tuner) 2. Whammy 5 w/ Midi  3. Black Cat Vibe 4. Line 6 M13 5.(empty) 6. Boomerang III

Amp: 1990 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue w/ Weber Blue Dog 50 watt Paper Cone Light Dope

Down_With_Sco

Quote from: afountas on January 19, 2017, 12:18:34 PM
Maybe it's the TS 808 pedals?  I feel like they're a lot bassier sounding than the analogman silver modded ts9s.

But the AM mod brings them to 808 specs before the Silver mod is even setup.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

afountas

I understand but if you A/B an AM silver vs. a stock 808, the silver seems to have more clarity and sound brighter.   For some reason I always thought the 808s sounded sort of muddy... but I am talking about a new 808... never played a vintage one before.   But, i've also never played a Komet. 

However, the reason I am leaning toward the cause being the 808s is because we've heard a bunch of different amps recently (bogner, deluxe reverb, mesa, marshall) and the impact on his tone was much less dramatic (in my opinion) compared to the last few shows.  So, either the Komet is way different compared to all these other amps or it's something else. 

But, serious I don't know.. just tons of speculation.
Guitars: Equator Mini, Fender Strat Deluxe, Tacoma Custom Build Koa (acoustic), Taylor NS74CE (acoustic)> Martin D16GT (acoustic)>

Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell >  OD9 Silver > OD9 Silver > Analogman BiComp >
Loop Master 5 Loop (w/tuner out): 1. (Korg Pitchblack Tuner) 2. Whammy 5 w/ Midi  3. Black Cat Vibe 4. Line 6 M13 5.(empty) 6. Boomerang III

Amp: 1990 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue w/ Weber Blue Dog 50 watt Paper Cone Light Dope

Helping Friendly

You could be on to something with the 808's. In my opinion i think the majority of the added low end came from the Komet. I remember hearing those amps are bass heavy. But who knows? It could be a combination of things. Either way I much prefer the mesa with the silvers.

Jkendrick

I think the Marshall was the most drastic change. For me the 808 is the creamiest, smoothest of the Tubescreamers, but it is definitely more mid-heavy. I have a TS9 modded by Keeley and an 808 with the True Vintage mod from Analogman. I prefer the 808, but like the choice and the two stacked together balance well. My issue with the Komet tone and especially the Marshall is that it's just too gainy. I liike Trey's tone smooth and creamy without much grit or growl.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT