Anyone ever play a Mesa lonestar?

Started by Helping Friendly, November 06, 2016, 09:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helping Friendly

I've been thinking about selling my Mark III and picking up the lonestar.  I don't use the overdrive channels on the mk3 and I think the lonestar has a nicer clean and reverb from what I've heard.  Maybe a little more point and shoot compared to the Mark. But still a Mesa with those funky tone pots.

Anyone here ever had both or played both and can compare the two? Mainly interested in the head versions because I'd still like to utilize my cabinet. Thanks dudes

tsbot

Check out the guitarist from 'The Lawn Boys - A tribute to Phish'  he plays one and has for awhile.  I talked with him a few years ago - he's super nice and answered my questions.  He rips too.

http://www.lawnboysnyc.com/#newspg

Down_With_Sco

I havent played a Lone Star but it seems the Classic is better because it uses 6L6's over the Special which uses EL84s.

Bayliss from Umphs still uses a classic with another amp I belive.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Helping Friendly

True that . I should of specified. I am referring to the classic.  I definitely would only get that one..

seriesnuns

I had the special for a couple years ago. I remember it had nice cleans, and the reverb was outstanding. With my vibe it created a gooey delay type feel.

There's a mod where you can get channel 2 to have the same gain structure as channel 1. Make sure you read the manual as amp can do a lot of things. A lot of knobs.

I remember it sounded good with a Weber blue dog, but I couldn't bond with it when I wanted to drive it in either channel 1 with TS or channel 2 with the drive knob.

Buffered

I have had my LSS for about three months now, definitely agree with seriesnuns! Excellent fender style clean and the OD channel is usable for me too, thick and chewy on all modes. Still, the higher the master got the better the amp sounds. Just tetubed this morning actually.

Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation