Trey lessons from 1999 Guitar World magazine

Started by Stecks, November 28, 2012, 11:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

picture_of_nectar

sigh...just when I start to feel better about my playing I read something like this and realize how much i don't know...
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Stecks

Quote from: MomaDan on November 29, 2012, 11:08:12 PM
Quote from: webephishin on November 28, 2012, 07:37:16 PM
I totally wish I new the language he's speaking in....sounds really good, but I might understand 10% of it at the most haha. I'm a self-taught guitarist so I'm very limited in terms of music communication for guitar.  With that said, thanks for sharing these- they're interesting to read despite my lack of terminology of scales/notes/dominants/7ths/chords/you get the idea  ;D

Yes I am sort of in this realm as well. Living with a two other musicians and jamming all the time has really helped the last couple months. Its just not the same as playing along to loops

Yep.  Great for your timing - plus it forces you to listen, as well.  Its like visiting certain types of websites vs. having a girlfriend. :)
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Stecks

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on November 30, 2012, 12:06:12 AM
sigh...just when I start to feel better about my playing I read something like this and realize how much i don't know...

Isn't that the beauty, though?  Reframe that thought!  You should never feel "bad" about your playing, but you should be confident in what you already know, yet aware that there's ALWAYS something you can improve on.  Any guitarist, Trey included, knows that there's TONS of shit he doesn't know, and MANY aspects of his playing that he can improve upon.

Yeah, but you can't know everything.  Just learn something new - you have to be willing to take some risk.  When you come back and read those articles in a year or two, you might know exactly what he's talking about and more.  Learn it and try to teach it to someone else - if you can teach it (correctly), you KNOW it :)

Knowing that there's so much I don't know is what drives me to learn more.  If I have any talent, its because I'm very self-conscious about my playing, I'm willing to take some risks, push what I know further while learning new things and incorporating them into my playing...  and because I know guitarists who ARE awesome and I've had a lot of help along the way.  Most of the time I think I suck, but its probably not that bad - nor is it as good when I get compliments after getting off stage or playing with friends, etc.  We slayed it on Tuesday night - I overheard a few people say that I'm an awesome guitarist - I don't believe them.  Nor do I really believe myself when I feel like I suck, or when other people say it, too :)

Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ