Main Menu

Kang

Started by Stiles12, March 27, 2008, 02:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiles12

Its almost spring weather up here in new jersey, so i have started to find my self putting on a lot of string cheese. I cant find anything on Micheal kang's rig, he only lists his guitars on the website. last time i saw them he had a shit ton of gear, and most of it was pedals as I remember he only had like 4 total rack mounts. he uses some type of fender amp, and it looks like he has some type of mesa boogie heads for an overdrive type amp. (he has two of both of these for stereo play)
does anyone know anything about his stuff, anyone have any pictures perhaps. help me out
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

cactuskeeb

He has the Wah-->2TS9s-->COMP-->VOL. going into a DMC switching system (rackmount) -- which I don't get at all b/c the latter uses FET switching circuits; in other words, I wonder why he doesn't use something better when a. his tech should know better and b. the band could afford it, obviously.  At any rate, The loops contain a G-Major (rackmount) effects device (for delay, etc.) and he's got a DTR-2.  Somewhere in the mix are a few transformer isolated outputs driving multiple amps (a fender deluxe reverb, and two Mesa Boogie triaxis heads into cabs loaded with EV speakers) as well as his budget (why?) leslie sim., the mesa boogie "Revolver" rotating cab.

lumpy

for some reason, as i cant remeber where this info came from, but i remember him using two-rock amps
can you still have fun?

cactuskeeb

I think you're right about that.

Two rocks are too hi-fi for my tastes. 

Poster

lol this thread reminds me of when i was in electromandoflux in VT. i used to play a 69 mandocaster into 2 5150 half stacks with digitech whammy> metal master> morley wah >danelectro reverb >danelectro delay

and it was fucking awesome sir! i remember jamie masefield from jass mandolin laughing his ass off when he heard what i was up to!

lumpy

Quote from: posternutbag on July 25, 2008, 02:08:33 PM
lol this thread reminds me of when i was in electromandoflux in VT. i used to play a 69 mandocaster into 2 5150 half stacks with digitech whammy> metal master> morley wah >danelectro reverb >danelectro delay

and it was fucking awesome sir! i remember jamie masefield from jass mandolin laughing his ass off when he heard what i was up to!

lol I just saw this, and not to threadjack(not that anyones talking about kangrig anymore) but can i get a recording of this somewhere? I would really like to hear these Van Halen mando tones ;D
can you still have fun?

Poster

absolutely, it was some of the most fun i ever had in college. we played in the basement of the fat chick fake sorority house, at a couple lakeside bbqs, on the side of the highway on the stoop of my apartment (fully electric, with about 60 rednecks from a trailer park up the street who heard the noise and all the families from my apartment building) it was fucking epic. We played an instrumental cover of Rush's tom sawyer twice. Once to open the show and second to close the show naturally LFOL! Somehow we played Castleton State College and Green Mountain College before I was electromandofluxed out.

However, I have been feeling the urge to go nuts all over again.... :o

Custom mando rig might be my new thing again :o

cactuskeeb

Quote from: posternutbag on August 29, 2008, 06:14:45 PM
at a couple lakeside bbqs

:D That's so random !  You're hilarious..

Hey, I've got a custom mando -- check it out:

Poster

Hey, I've got a custom mando -- check it out: {quote}

Very pretty. Mine is a semi hollowbody and it really growls when pushed. One thing fun to try is running it through an aby splitter into a whammy octave down and then dry into a tube amp. heavy fucking metal.

what do you tune yours too>? my favorite mando has 5 lone strings and i usually would change the lowest string to whatever suited the tune.

lumpy

so.....can i hear this anywhere????

I think you should play and justice for all by metallica on that thing lol. I wanna see someone play heavy metal with a tiny mando getting these HUGE tones. You'd have to headbang violently and evrything, then people would look at you and think you're playing that on a like a toy guitar ;D
can you still have fun?

Poster

Quote from: lumpy on August 30, 2008, 10:24:50 AM
so.....can i hear this anywhere????

yeah ive got to dig, and upload it somewhere. ill get it asap. ive got to take the family on a picnic and clear of branches out of my yard and patch my fence first. a storm damn near took out my entire backyard fence. anyway, i was in electromandoflux about 4-5 years ago, so I have to dig for the compressed audio on my HD,

lumpy

Thanks man. Sorry about your fence though that really sucks. And I did't mean to sound like a impatient dick; if I did I'm sorry, I'm just super curious to hear this. You don't gotta rush the recordings or anything!
can you still have fun?

Poster

well back in those days i was living off pharmies, homegrown, magic hat, poon tang, and trout i fished out of the lake across the street. we never got record unless we went over to a friend house who had one of those fucking huge plastic mixers that had the retarded cd burner in it. i know we recorded a bunch with that. it def wasnt like today where everybody has a recorder built into their ipods or whatever. well let me rephrase that, none of my friends in college ever had any money either. so gear and recording was pretty much only the result of hand me downs and baked trips to the shitty guitar store an hour away  ;D

Poster

Quote from: posternutbag on August 30, 2008, 10:50:19 AM
well back in those days i was living off pharmies, homegrown, magic hat, poon tang, and trout i fished out of the lake across the street. we never got record unless we went over to a friend house who had one of those fucking huge plastic mixers that had the retarded cd burner in it. i know we recorded a bunch with that. it def wasnt like today where everybody has a recorder built into their ipods or whatever. well let me rephrase that, none of my friends in college ever had any money either. so gear and recording was pretty much only the result of hand me downs and baked trips to the shitty guitar store an hour away  ;D

i remember my first time at "be music" in rutland VT. they were pushing snarling dogs strings, dean guitars, and danelectro pedals LFOL

lumpy

I'm in college and man, our recording setup was a giant piece of shit. We never had money as we would spend it on pedals. We had a trip for recording equipment like 2 years ago beacuse we had no recording equipment in any way whatsoever. oh yeah and we had like 30 bucks left so we went to radio shack and purchased something pretty close to this

we used that for so long lol, using the built in mic. damn near impossible to get a good sound, we would have to move it all around to find a place where all the sounds were somewhat equal volume.

So I know about recording problems. now we run each instrument into a PA mixer and run that to the computer and record like that. But tape recorder sucked, and its hard to find tapes, for while we could only get tapes with 15 minutes on each side, so nothing could be longer than 15 min. And sometimes the button would pop up and it would stop. Or the batteries would die halfway through.
can you still have fun?