Compressor help?

Started by Flavaham, September 16, 2011, 05:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian27

I havent read enough about Modtones or seen many vids on any of their pedals but i hear the Tubescreamer clone is great. I would get a Retro Sonic Compressor. Its awesome and is a great Ross Clone

fulltone1989

Quote from: webephishin on March 26, 2012, 04:14:17 PM
have any of you guys tried a modtone lemon squeeze compressor? I haven't really heard much about modtone but my friend just got one for 50 bucks.  I'll give a try one of these days...

Seems like it could be a clone of the Orange Squeezer unit. Lemon, Orange, fruits! I never tried this comp circuit but from what I've read it's different than a Ross
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Walker done done

I have an Orange Squeeze and can confirm it is different than a Ross.  Everything is.  There is no substitute.

Thankfully, my good friend SourD just curated an 80's Ross for me, so I'm now officially "in the game"  :D
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

sour d

Quote from: Walker done done on March 27, 2012, 11:05:57 AM
I have an Orange Squeeze and can confirm it is different than a Ross.  Everything is.  There is no substitute.

Thankfully, my good friend SourD just curated an 80's Ross for me, so I'm now officially "in the game"  :D
It is actually a '78 ross. I dated it by the pot codes (not 420. The number stamped on the potentiometers). If you look at the pots on older pedals the number stamped on the side or back will start with 137 then the next 2 numbers are the year.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

MomaDan

I've read the Orange Squeezer is pretty transparent, does it have enough compression to get towards Trey 97 sound. 97 sounds like the levels on the Ross were very high to me.
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Heady Jam Fan

Yea, I just got a Philosopher's Tone from Pigtronix, which is a cool little comp, but as stated above, if its not a Ross clone, its not a Ross clone.

The PT is flat like more 'modern' compressors; doesn't have that midrang-y thing that a Ross does. However, the compression feels somewhat similar to a Ross, fairly squashed even at the minimal setting and the attack time seems relatively similar (not sure of the actual spec). The bloom is definitely a bit different than a Ross or other comps, not a bad thing, but different. Pigtronix suggested it is a much improved technology, working more quietly and with better sustain (obviously these things are all relative to settings).

I need more time to complete an opinion, but I spent a few hours a/b'ing with the Ross clone. Both after the TS's, I found that they had a similar noise:sustain:volume maintenance ratio (the three variables I am interested in). The Ross may have actually been the winner by a slight bit and also runs off of a 9v standard, while the PT can be powered by 9v, but shipped with an 18v supply. The noise from the 2 units was different; the PT's noise was 'thicker' sounding, while the Ross's noise was more midrangy and thin sounding. When I set the comps to have a similar volume of noise, I found that the Ross's buzz was less noticeable to me, but maybe cuz I am used to that slight background buzz frequency. At this amount of noise, I actually found the Ross to have slightly better sustain, both pedals maintained the ultimate volume similarly across the span of my guitar's volume knob - which is the main reason I tried the PT, I was hoping to get by without a volume pedal (at louder volumes I think I could with either comp, as the amp compresses a bit).

As for the EQ, sometimes I like the more open sound of the PT, but it is less familiar to those beloved jam tones where the Ross really smooths out the top and bottom of the TS's. On the other hand, it seems a few people on this forum are using dirt pedals with a flatter EQ and I would guess that TS>PT might have a similar frequency plot to a more transparent OD>Ross (that is a gross generalization, I know).

As for the amount of noise, I made a few changes to my rig recently and I think I am getting a little more buzz than usual so I need to work that out. I need to spend a lot more time with this comp too before I make a decision. In the end, I might just be a Ross fan to the end.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Walker done done

Quote from: MomaDan on May 02, 2012, 05:58:09 PM
I've read the Orange Squeezer is pretty transparent, does it have enough compression to get towards Trey 97 sound. 97 sounds like the levels on the Ross were very high to me.

I agree it is pretty transparent.  I used it for a year or so until I got the Keely 4knob comp.  I still liked the Keely better than the Squeeze, but the Squeeze is a good comp for sure.  I'd reco' trying it.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

MomaDan

Whats the going rate on a gray Ross? One just went up on my local CL in beat up condition, it looks pretty affordable for a vintage Ross. I asked for gutshots to see the codes after reading sour's post.
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Walker done done

Quote from: MomaDan on May 04, 2012, 12:53:08 AM
Whats the going rate on a gray Ross? One just went up on my local CL in beat up condition, it looks pretty affordable for a vintage Ross. I asked for gutshots to see the codes after reading sour's post.

$300-$350...and they go up from there.  If you can grab it, do it.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

ColForbin

^Truth.

There is one on ebay.ca right now for $499US, buy it now only.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

IamWILSON

If anyone is interested, I would sell my Ross Compressor (grey, Made in USA) for $400.  Paypal and shipped.  It also comes in the original box with a couple of the Ross inserts.  I've considered selling it for a while, so I figured this is a good place to start.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

fulltone1989

Quote from: IamWILSON on May 04, 2012, 03:15:09 PM
If anyone is interested, I would sell my Ross Compressor (grey, Made in USA) for $400.  Paypal and shipped.  It also comes in the original box with a couple of the Ross inserts.  I've considered selling it for a while, so I figured this is a good place to start.

Lemme see what shakes outta the graduation tree!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

MomaDan

Quote from: tomasmaclennan on May 04, 2012, 05:00:34 PM

lol thats exactly what I was thinking. You know your a gearhead when relatives ask what pedal to get you for a present  ;D

fulltone1989

Quote from: MomaDan on May 04, 2012, 08:10:08 PM
Quote from: tomasmaclennan on May 04, 2012, 05:00:34 PM

lol thats exactly what I was thinking. You know your a gearhead when relatives ask what pedal to get you for a present  ;D

Exactly, I need to upgrade the board itself too. PT-1 Hardcase for $129 at GC seems like a good ol deal to me!

IamWILSON

Quote from: tomasmaclennan on May 06, 2012, 03:36:00 PM
Exactly, I need to upgrade the board itself too. PT-1 Hardcase for $129 at GC seems like a good ol deal to me!

I think you can get the PT-2 with a soft case for that same price.  More real estate for the future, and I don't know what kind of gigging our touring you are doing, but the softcase is great if you're staying local.  Even if I'm touring and packing the gear myself, I know I'm fine w/ my softcase, but I guess if you were to fly with it the hardcase would be a bonus.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).