Which Looper?

Started by fulltone1989, June 19, 2012, 10:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

I know this has been discussed thousands of times on the net but I am looking to pick up a looper for mainly practice usage but also something that will be easy enough to use live so that I can record a quick loop on the fly ala a funk siren. Memory Slots are a huge plus.

So far, the one closest to fitting the bill is the Boss RC-3 but what else is out there? I have owned a Boomerang + and a RC-20XL in the past and while both were great the sound quality was a tad iffy IMHO.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

IamWILSON

Check out the Akai Headrush.  An old friend that I played with 10 years ago had one, and he got great tones out of it in live situations.  They aren't that expensive either.  I almost got one, but then decided to just get a Boomerang when I found a used one for the right price.  I bought the Boss RC-20 around the time I was looking for a looper and returned it before the 30 days was over.  I never got it to sync up right.  The boomerang is a breeze in that department.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

fulltone1989

Quote from: IamWILSON on June 19, 2012, 10:41:46 PM
Check out the Akai Headrush.  An old friend that I played with 10 years ago had one, and he got great tones out of it in live situations.  They aren't that expensive either.  I almost got one, but then decided to just get a Boomerang when I found a used one for the right price.  I bought the Boss RC-20 around the time I was looking for a looper and returned it before the 30 days was over.  I never got it to sync up right.  The boomerang is a breeze in that department.

I actually owned an Akai Headrush E2 for awhile, got it with GC's $99 sale last year on them. I thought it was a-ok but the build quality and lack of saved spots was a bit of a concern for me. I had the + and loved it but I needed money so I sold it (stupid!) I only really need practice quality loops for jazz standards/chord progressions and to save riff idears. Ideally, I would be purchasing an RC-3 from GC should I want to try the Boomerang III.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

sour d

digitech jamman stereo. great looper.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

fulltone1989

Quote from: sour d on June 20, 2012, 01:58:40 AM

Why do you like it? I see you have both a Jamman and a Boomerang on your board, how would you compare the two?

picture_of_nectar

I'm really happy with the Rang III, it has a great buffer and seems to improve my tone when it's in my chain. Has some cool functions. I still have a ton to learn about how it works, but basic looping is pretty straightforward.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

fulltone1989

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on June 20, 2012, 12:05:37 PM
I'm really happy with the Rang III, it has a great buffer and seems to improve my tone when it's in my chain. Has some cool functions. I still have a ton to learn about how it works, but basic looping is pretty straightforward.

I would love to have one of these, but unfortunately it doesn't save loops. Of course, running a simple recording setup between the III and an amp would solve that problem. Do you use the Stereo option? Do you have the sidecar/volume roller? If I had the cash i'd do a Rang III + sidecar and roller on a PT Junior.

MomaDan

I like the original 'rang and never have any problems with sound quality. Guess it didnt work for you? Now if I could only get rid of all the noise accompanying it...
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

sour d

Quote from: fulltone1989 on June 20, 2012, 11:31:29 AM

Why do you like it? I see you have both a Jamman and a Boomerang on your board, how would you compare the two?
Thats an old pic of my board. I actually dont use the boomerang anymore because it was too noisy at gigs. I did like the reverse function but I use a boss dd7 for that now. The digitech is great. You can scroll through the 99 loops with your foot. Sound quality is great. You can also use the guitar input and the mic input at the same time if you wanted to loop vocals. USB out to a computer and burn your song ideas or loops to a cd. Slow down or speed up loops without changing pitch. I does have a reverse function but I havent messed with that yet. I have used it to record sound clips to randomly play at gigs (honey badger, yoda, stewie, shit like that). I have also used one to record gigs with a line out from the soundboard.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

fulltone1989

Quote from: sour d on June 20, 2012, 04:43:37 PM
Quote from: fulltone1989 on June 20, 2012, 11:31:29 AM

Thats an old pic of my board. I actually dont use the boomerang anymore because it was too noisy at gigs. I did like the reverse function but I use a boss dd7 for that now. The digitech is great. You can scroll through the 99 loops with your foot. Sound quality is great. You can also use the guitar input and the mic input at the same time if you wanted to loop vocals. USB out to a computer and burn your song ideas or loops to a cd. Slow down or speed up loops without changing pitch. I does have a reverse function but I havent messed with that yet. I have used it to record sound clips to randomly play at gigs (honey badger, yoda, stewie, shit like that). I have also used one to record gigs with a line out from the soundboard.

Wow, this looks awesome, the added footswitches looks like its real easy to use live. Is it possible to upload loops from iTunes to the JamMan? Do you use it in conjunction with the SD card?

Heady Jam Fan

From iTunes? Just don't go Milli Vanilli on me
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on June 20, 2012, 08:05:48 PM
From iTunes? Just don't go Milli Vanilli on me

Haha I won't. There's an AUX jack so I guess you can! The Boomerang III looks really cool but for the added coin I am not sure if I need all those features, but it looks just so awesome. If only it saved a loop or two! Thankfully GC stocks the III but I can't try it out in store. Only online :/

Edit: Looks like the Digitech Jamman Stereo is the way to go any way you look at it. Going to check one out tomorrow along with the new Whammy, will report on my findings.

fulltone1989

Sour, does the Jamman Stereo have a Dry mute like the older 'Rangs?

fulltone1989

Went ith the jamman, although its still pretty early in my relationship with the unit it's pretty easy to operate and can do the verse>bridge loop thing with some simple tap dancing. Funk sirens may Be a little difficult to pull off.

sour d

Quote from: fulltone1989 on June 22, 2012, 07:27:04 PM
Went ith the jamman, although its still pretty early in my relationship with the unit it's pretty easy to operate and can do the verse>bridge loop thing with some simple tap dancing. Funk sirens may Be a little difficult to pull off.
Search ebay for the FABE footswitch. I have one and it makes it nice saving loops on the fly.