Wah pedals vs Envelopes Filters

Started by fulltone1989, August 19, 2012, 03:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Hey everybody, thinking about adding an EF (Emma discombobulator) to my board for some Jerry tunes but as I already have an RMC3 on the it MIGHT be overkill, I think they're different effects though. What're y'alls thoughts?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

sour d

I think they are both different creatures. I would definetly recommend the emma. I don't think they are still making them but you can probably find one used.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

fulltone1989

Quote from: sour d on August 19, 2012, 08:52:32 PM
I think they are both different creatures. I would definetly recommend the emma. I don't think they are still making them but you can probably find one used.

Luckily my local shop has a DB-1 that I can grab and try out, their used price is a bit above the going rate but I think I can flip it reasonably quickly should I not love it, but i've heard it does the Dancing/FOTM envelope tones really well.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

manicstarseed

Agreed that they are very different beasts. Hard to say exactly, but in fact I find very little overlap in their practical use. There is room for both on my board.
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

ColForbin

I am using an Emma, really like it.  You need both, clearly.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

fulltone1989

Thanks for the positive (albeit financially negative) contributions everyone! I was able to trade some gear in and take the Emma home. I'm a bit curious about where to place it in the chain however. I want it as close to the guitar as possible but since it's buffered it might act funky with my vibe.

sour d

I would put it first in your chain.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

fulltone1989

Quote from: sour d on August 20, 2012, 02:44:37 PM
I would put it first in your chain.

Yeah that was my reckoning as well, placing a TB tuner in front of the DB (for sake of cable routing and board space) wouldn't cause any issues do you think it would?

EDIT: Stuck it right behind the wah and it tracks just fine from there, only reason I didn't stick it first in the chain is that the wah needs an unplugged input or the battery would die.  Only problem is I can't turn it off as it makes everything sound cool! What I didn't expect is how nice the buffer is on the Emma, I had a T1M MB on there that I thought was the cats ass but no longer as the Emma retains the high end of my tone that much better!