Started by Heady Jam Fan, January 12, 2013, 12:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

Anyone use this? Seems cool, good reviews, compared to a typical TS circuit:

Pros:
Low Noise

Cons:
May not get as much compression or midrange

It seems you could get in the same territory as a typical TS running it in the boost mode, which gives more midrange, as well as setting the internal dip to 9v rather than 18. Anyone test one out and see if it actually has the midrange and compression of a TS in this setting? Is it actually quieter?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

We have a D+S II at work which is similar I think and it's a very versatile pedal, goes from almost fuzz dist. to a little dirty boost. Haven't tried the OD9 Pro+ though and I didn't even know they made one! 
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on January 12, 2013, 12:53:22 PM
Anyone use this? Seems cool, good reviews, compared to a typical TS circuit:

Pros:
Low Noise

Cons:
May not get as much compression or midrange

It seems you could get in the same territory as a typical TS running it in the boost mode, which gives more midrange, as well as setting the internal dip to 9v rather than 18. Anyone test one out and see if it actually has the midrange and compression of a TS in this setting? Is it actually quieter?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Heady Jam Fan

Yea, I'm not sure if I knew it existed. I am familiar with other pro+ pedals, so I might have just forgotten about it, but I saw a discussion on it on another forum and was hoping for some insight/opinions. I suspect they considered some similar adjustments on the D+S, but I kinda doubt they are similar pedals - the D+S is not a TS circuit right?

Anway, the thing that grabbed me was they claimed it runs quieter than a typical TS circuit. Apparently Analog-Mike compared it to his Silver mod and said they were very similar and he has not developed any mods for the Pro+ yet, but he found the Silver to actually run more quietly than the Pro+ because of the pro+'s internal charge pump (which ironically ought to have the effect of decreasing noise when run at 18v, but also decreasing compression and midrange, so its a double edge sword and really takes away from my interest in the pedal quite a bit).

Considering noise, most of the noise I get is RF interference coming through my guitar (hollowbodies are particularly vulnerable to this). While my Rat is a little quieter than a TS, IIRC my Silvers were no quieter than my vintage TS's and, while I though my SRB808 was quieter when I first got it, I tried it again recently and it was just as noisy.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

picture_of_nectar

I dunno about the Pro+ but I use 2 OD9s, one Silver, one True Vintage(808) mod. They are great.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone