What is the most creative pedal you have seen?

Started by mblem22, April 14, 2013, 11:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mblem22

Shamelessly phishing for inspiration here.  The design phase of the tremolo that I'm working on is coming to a close and I'm looking for the next idea.  I know some of you guys have tons of experience with effects so I thought I'd ask around.

Has anyone ever seen any really creative or interesting pedals?  Maybe you have an idea for a pedal that doesn't even exist anywhere else?  Heck, if anyone comes up with something really cool and I make it, I'll send you one of them after I finish it!   ;)

Happyorange27

I think Heady had this idea but I've thought about it too.  Make a TS-9 that allows you to increase the gain knob, and the circuit simultaneously adjusts the volume to keep the loudness unitary.  I thought of doing it with gears on the knobs, but you would have to get the ratio perfect.  Also you still need a true volume knob that would allow you to actually change the volume.  Not really necessary since we all run a comp after these pedals anyway.

But if these combined knobs had an expression pedal jack, you could control all the dirt with your foot.  That might be handy.  It's hard to fine tune the dirt on my guitar while shredding some intricate lick. 
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

picture_of_nectar

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

webephishin

Quote from: mblem22 on April 14, 2013, 11:23:12 PM

Has anyone ever seen any really creative or interesting pedals?  Maybe you have an idea for a pedal that doesn't even exist anywhere else?  Heck, if anyone comes up with something really cool and I make it, I'll send you one of them after I finish it!   ;)

How about a pedal that emulates a sitar?  That would be sweeet!! 
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

mblem22

Quote from: Happyorange27 on April 15, 2013, 07:41:53 AM
I think Heady had this idea but I've thought about it too.  Make a TS-9 that allows you to increase the gain knob, and the circuit simultaneously adjusts the volume to keep the loudness unitary.  I thought of doing it with gears on the knobs, but you would have to get the ratio perfect.  Also you still need a true volume knob that would allow you to actually change the volume.  Not really necessary since we all run a comp after these pedals anyway.

But if these combined knobs had an expression pedal jack, you could control all the dirt with your foot.  That might be handy.  It's hard to fine tune the dirt on my guitar while shredding some intricate lick.  

I like that idea!  It sounds very doable and I would really like to make something similar to a TS anyway.  I need one for my rig  ;).  I probably will look into this idea.

A friend of mine also suggested an interesting idea which is based on a TS.  Basically, it would be a combination TS feeding into a reverb, but the reverb effect would be based on the clean signal.  It could also be set up with a knob to incrementally shift the input of the reverb to the TSed signal.  Hopefully that made a little sense.

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on April 15, 2013, 12:37:10 PM

http://livemusicblog.com/2013/02/24/fan-hand-delivers-custom-made-guitar-effects-pedal-to-trey-anastasio/

webephishin showed me this link.  Definitely a creative idea, but I'm not quite sure I understand it.  How exactly are you meant to control the light sensor?  With a laser?  Kuroda?

Quote from: webephishin on April 15, 2013, 09:48:58 PM
Quote from: mblem22 on April 14, 2013, 11:23:12 PM

Has anyone ever seen any really creative or interesting pedals?  Maybe you have an idea for a pedal that doesn't even exist anywhere else?  Heck, if anyone comes up with something really cool and I make it, I'll send you one of them after I finish it!   ;)

How about a pedal that emulates a sitar?  That would be sweeet!!  

Haha, good thought.  I'd have to familiarize myself a little more with the frequency content and dynamics of a sitar.  Could be possible.

Happyorange27

The photo cell is a peculiar input device.  I've seen some pedals that use them.  You can't reliably control them due to ever changing lighting conditions and your foot placement, but for making random and cool crazy sounds, it can be very fun.  It's all about how much light you expose or cover with your foot.  More of a novelty than anything.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex