Trey's Mid 90's Screamers (TS9)

Started by surefootedllama, July 27, 2009, 01:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouEnjoyMyReba

yes u did but im not sure if im reading it right
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

picture_of_nectar

Yeah it should be fairly obvious even to a true beginner that a Les Paul isn't going to give you Trey tone.

Try this:

Guitar->wah->Ts9->Ts9->True bypass switch->Hig Gain Amp Input  (all analog)
                                                                      ->Whammy->Looper->Low Gain Amp Input (analog pedals + digital pedals)

This is basically how i have my rig, except I have a chorus pedal and delay pedal in there and no whammy. This way I can set a metronome beat that runs while I play clean, i can engage the bypass switch, loop a progression, then disengage it and solo using the analog circuit.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

YouEnjoyMyReba

I understand that im not gonna get a trey tone from my les paul but it was a gift from my dad and its all ive got right now.  Times are tough at the moment but when i get the money buying a hollowbody is the first thing im gonna do.  I will look into the equators but what are some other good hollowbodies to check out?
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

Walker done done

I'm not a fan of Equators either.  I'll leave it at that.

I think you're amp is fine, for now at least.  Maybe look into getting a nice Tone Tubby (the red one) speaker.  They're around $300.

Switch the order of your pedals first.  Mess around w/ the bass/mid/treble/reverb & get that where you want it.  Without looking, I think I have my bass and treble around the 4-5 range, and the mid is up around 10, I believe.  Different amp though...I just remembered those DR's don't have a mid pot do they?  Oh well.  You've got some nice pedals (minus that BiComp, IMO), so you should be able to get somewhere near where you're looking w/ what you've got.  Yeah, the LesPaul won't get you "Trey" sound, but that's fine for now, it's a fine guitar and it's what you've got.  Save up and get something nice.  I'd of course reco' Andrew Olsen @ www.aoguitars.com.  Have him build you what you want. 
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

YouEnjoyMyReba

Thank you all very much.  No DRs do not have a mid pot.  I really appreciate everything but im still not sure if im reading the pedal chains correctly.

Quote from: YouEnjoyMyReba on December 29, 2009, 04:27:05 PM
The way im looking at it, im seeing Guitar plugged into whammy, plugged into wah, plugged into ts9, and so on.  So the guitar is the first in the chain and the amp is last, meaning that whatever pedal is plugged into the amp is the last pedal in the chain and the pedal plugged into the guitar is the first. Correct? Please forgive my ignorance.

Is this correct?

picture_of_nectar

yeah youenjoymyreba, Guitar is first, Amp is last...think of your signal originating in the string->pickup->through pedal chain-> amp. The music doesn't start in your Amp does it?

I have owned 3 Hollowbody guitars, a PRS and 2 Equators.

The PRS is definately a nicer build quality as far as having prefect fit and finish. The Equators were a little rougher around the edges, not perfect. But the tone was NO comparison. 100x closer to that of a Languedoc then a PRS. Only true hollowbdy guitar without a centerblock can touch the sustain and harmonics Trey gets. As far as i know, Equator is the only one producing slimline hollowbodies with no centerblock. Am I wrong?

Sorry i won't buy chep shit made in korea on an assembly line.

How long have you been waiting for you're AO guitar Poster? 9 months?

YouEnjoyMyReba

Ok thank you.  Thats what i figured but i was looking at Treys rig and i noticed that his wah is after his Ts9s but maybe thats just the way its placed on the pedal board, idk.  Anyway thank you very much, i really appreciate everything you guys have said, since i have become a member of these forums i have learned an incredible amount of information.  Maybe one day i can be a true jedi like you guys!

picture_of_nectar

jeesus, chill out, I didn't compare the two. I asked how long your build took. the axe looks sexy as hell and I am sure it's top notch. sorry I struck a nerve. It's too bad you're such an ass...makes this place pretty intimedating to come to with questions for anyone who isn't 'pro' like you.

jonb52578

wow trolling in epic form. momma said if i cant say nuthin nice i shouldnt say anything. lucky i got my no trolling badge in brownies ::)
talking about music is like dancing about architecture

picture_of_nectar

whos trollin who? I come on to offer some what I believe to be sound advice...and poster calls my guitar a wonky peice of shit...so whatever.

YouEnjoyMyReba

Both of you guys offer very valiable opinions.  As a newbie Poster's post are somewhat intimidating but very informative nonetheless, sometimes i need some non-sugar coated information.  Picture of Nectar you have also been extremely helpful and very welcoming and i greatly appreciate your patience and zen like tolerance.  Thanks to everyone involved in this forum, I value everybodys opinions that post here.

Poster

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on December 29, 2009, 10:54:48 PM
whos trollin who? I come on to offer some what I believe to be sound advice...and poster calls my guitar a wonky peice of shit...so whatever.

lol you seem a little stressed man

Walker done done

I'm gonna kick both of you in the mouth and then take a dump in it and make you chew, and I had Mexican for dinner, so STFU already.  Make your points without attacking each other.  However, it does need to be said that the above picture if fucknig hilarious.  Who doesn't love David Carradine?  May he rest in peace.

picture_of_nectar, Equator is defintely not the only dude building hollow's w/out a center block.  My Resurrection doesn't have one, AO builds them without...and I'm sure there's many more out there.  It is true though that a hollowbody guitar with a center block and one without are 2 totally different animals.  And YouEnjoyMyReba, for the record, you'll want one without a center block if you do get a hollowbody.  Your pedal chain starts with your guitar, goes into your wah, then into your TS's, then delay/boomerang, then into the Whammy, then into the amp.  The Whammy should be the last thing in your chain if you don't have a way to bypass it or don't have a switching system.  Move your chain around accordingly, then see how you like it, and report back with what you've learned from the new series of pedals.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

YouEnjoyMyReba

Ok i switched the order.  I have guitar>wah>Ts9>Ts9>Bicomp>Whammy II>Boomerang>amp.  It sounds better but there was a considerate jump in volume when the Bicomp and Whammy were engaged.  The Bicomp was not a problem, i just turned the level knob down.  However, the whammy was extremely loud when engaged and did not get any quieter when i turned the level knob on the back down.  It also had some other weird unexplainable sound coming out of it.  Overall, however, without the whammy engaged my tone did sound better (thicker,warmer), but i like to use my whammy alot, especially with the wah.  Any ideas?  Thanks again everyone, your help is greatly appreciated!

I also got the georgle L cables that someone suggested and i love them, thanks!

cactuskeeb

Quote from: posternutbag on December 29, 2009, 05:57:45 PM
i cant even fathom how you can compare a guitar built by a hobbyist and that of a hollowbody built by Andrew O who studied under Tobias... You dont even know what your rambling on about. There wont be a fucking thing ROUGH about this guitar. and of course its truly hollow.

furthermore the construction of a prs hollowbody and that of an equator is completely different. the stop tail and tail piece are night and day different. i would argue from your line of reasoning a huge gibson hollowbody with the tail piece would sound closer to a languedoc than a fucking wonky equator with its warped sloppy everything.

Don't edit this any further...
I couldn't agree more with the tone of your comments regarding equator.  

Also: Thanks, YouEnjoyMyReba for the kind words.

edit: "make [them] chew" hahahahahaha