Trey's 93-96 Ts9s?

Started by YouEnjoyMyReba, February 16, 2011, 10:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sour d

Quote from: cactuskeeb on February 21, 2011, 06:35:15 AM

OK, you got me there.  But upon further inspection, i think what Gabe means is that the "Japanese" pedal has the made-in-Japan JRC chip whereas Ibanez used different chips made in different counties, starting in the nineties.  The new(er) reissues do use the original chip.
Maybe that's what he meant, but even the original ts9's from 81-84 can come with different opamp chips. You have to be carefull and find out which chip the pedal has before dropping good money on an original. Some of them came with the jrc2043dd chip that sounds lousy. Even some of the 84 pedal had the ta75558p chip which is not good and when they started reissuing the ts9 in 93 they continued to use the ta75558p and still use that chip in their ts9's. When they realized people were paying good money for modded pedals whith the jrc4558d chip they reissued the ts808 and put that chip back on the board. The reissue ts808's can be improved because although they have the correct opamp chip they skimped on other parts of the circuit. Cheaper caps, board, and resistors made of different materials (just like the reissue ts9's). I know this shit is boring so I won't get into the differences between a jrc4558d made in the early 80's and one made today (I make chips for a living at national semiconductor) but I will say that each lot of chips have different variables in the production process that can effect performance. To tell you the truth I think the rc4558p chip made by TI that was in some of the original t808 tube screamers is the best sounding chip (robert keeley uses these in his mods).
Quote from: cactuskeeb on February 21, 2011, 06:35:15 AM
I also know that he didn't use the ts10 for very long.  you can see photos of the two ts9s in live shots from 97-2000.
The topic of the thread is 93-96 but I'm not sure how long he used the ts10 either. I am curious though if anybody can elaborate. If we start talking about a change between 96 and 97 I think we are hearing more of an amp change to the deluxe. Am I wrong?
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

YouEnjoyMyReba

Quote from: sour d on February 21, 2011, 08:03:01 PM
The topic of the thread is 93-96 but I'm not sure how long he used the ts10 either. I am curious though if anybody can elaborate. If we start talking about a change between 96 and 97 I think we are hearing more of an amp change to the deluxe. Am I wrong?

I thought he used the deluxe for most of 96.  I could be wrong though
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

cactuskeeb

Quote from: YouEnjoyMyReba on February 21, 2011, 10:09:46 PM

I thought he used the deluxe for most of 96.  I could be wrong though

The first time he used a deluxe was on the Billy Breathes album: it was a "brown deluxe," which i assume is the tweed deluxe you see him playing through on the Letterman show, when they did Character Zero (http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=g7EB2NWJpMU), right after the album came out.  Then they were on tour in Europe, and right at about the end of that tour the deluxe reverb makes its first appearance.

cactuskeeb

Maybe that's what he meant, but even the original ts9's from 81-84 can come with different opamp chips. You have to be carefull and find out which chip the pedal has before dropping good money on an original. Some of them came with the jrc2043dd chip that sounds lousy. Even some of the 84 pedal had the ta75558p chip which is not good and when they started reissuing the ts9 in 93 they continued to use the ta75558p and still use that chip in their ts9's. When they realized people were paying good money for modded pedals whith the jrc4558d chip they reissued the ts808 and put that chip back on the board. The reissue ts808's can be improved because although they have the correct opamp chip they skimped on other parts of the circuit. Cheaper caps, board, and resistors made of different materials (just like the reissue ts9's). I know this shit is boring so I won't get into the differences between a jrc4558d made in the early 80's and one made today (I make chips for a living at national semiconductor) but I will say that each lot of chips have different variables in the production process that can effect performance. To tell you the truth I think the rc4558p chip made by TI that was in some of the original t808 tube screamers is the best sounding chip (robert keeley uses these in his mods).

This is all very informative.  Thanks, man.

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Phabulous

[/quote]

The main thing you're hearing is the (then) new Koa guitar (his first one), which was used in spots in late 96 and became the full time axe in 97. 

Happyorange27

This may not be applicable and not exact timing but Paul says:

"We did start using Grace Design 801 preamps around '98, kept them onstage so I could drive the 300 foot snake harder. The Grace preamps are extremely transparent sounding and virtually eliminate any slew rating, so I thought the integrity of the signal just improved a huge amount."

I know that's now what you are looking for but it is somewhat critical along the timeline.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex