Main Menu

Trey In A Box

Started by GonePhishing46, August 01, 2012, 06:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GonePhishing46

I've designed in Photoshop a "Trey-in-a-Box" pedal. Anyone that builds pedals here, has anyone thought of this? I'm going to make a prototype. Here's what the outside looks like (just for an idea). I might actually put "trey in a box" on it or make it original looking. What y'all think?

Custom Hollowbody -> TS-10 -> TS-9 modded -> Ross Compressor -> Whammy II (True Bypass) -> Tuner -> Black Cat Vibe -> Alesis Quadraverb -> Groove Tubes Soul-O-75 -> Groove Tubes 4x10 Cabinet || Hammond Leslie

sour d

Good idea. I just noticed you use a ts10 in your rig. Awesome.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

GonePhishing46

Hell I could extend it a little more and fit a wah on the right side before the tubescreamer. I have a PCB for one that has DIP switches like the Teese. That would be a mean pedal. Then fit a Black Cat Vibe after the comp
Custom Hollowbody -> TS-10 -> TS-9 modded -> Ross Compressor -> Whammy II (True Bypass) -> Tuner -> Black Cat Vibe -> Alesis Quadraverb -> Groove Tubes Soul-O-75 -> Groove Tubes 4x10 Cabinet || Hammond Leslie

Heady Jam Fan

Nice mock up, I have thought about similar things, mostly stemming from the fact I always thought it would sound sweet to run a Fuzz Face in parallel to a TS9, built into a single box and I got to thinking of something like that eventually. I think it is a cool idea, would save power spots, and I find my SRB808 2in1 to be quieter than my Ibanez TS9s. On the other hand, some people (including me) are picky about their pedals and want to hand select them.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

GonePhishing46

well i was gonna have a switch on each tubescreamer to be a ts-9, or ts-808 and maybe an IC selector knob between JRC4558D RC4558P and maybe a JRC4558DD. I found the JRC4558DD in a Delay pedal from the '80s and stuck it in my TS-9 and I absolutely love it. It took away all the grainy harshness. Awesome chip. And maybe an attack time on the Ross and the treble/Dynacomp switch

Heady Jam Fan

Yea man, sounds cool!

If you are doing it commercially, I think a lot of people would be interested, especially if they want a jam tone and don't have expensive versions of those pedals - if the price is competitive to buying each separately, it seems it would be really convenient. I could see having something like that as a backup, just take that and a delay for a quick gig/practice when it wouldn't make sense to lug my entire board.

That Double D chips is interesting, I don't recall ever hearing of it.

One of the things I was thinking about with something like this was an expression pedal control for the overdrive and a midrange boost for leads (after the comp).

Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

sour d

The double d chips were used in some of the boss overdrives
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

raisingfreen

Good idea....
Visual Sound came out with the original Route 66 that was sorta like this but the comp was always before "single" drive. I would suggest in an effort to appeal to a larger market and thus more customers that you use dip switches so that you could change the order of the effects signal (comp/od or od/comp). For example not everyone likes comp after drive (we do, but not everyone). I always wondered why for instance Analogman has not done this yet. He has the king thingy which has two drives but no comp. I bet it would be two pricy to the consumer. Just what would be attractive price for this?

Maybe if we could all just send in our Ts9s and a comp to be rehoused into one box?
In any case keep up the work and let use know what it will cost to buy one. I would be interested. I don't want it to say "Trey in a box" however (metaphorically this is wrong). Maybe just a simple (3) effect pedal in an all grey or black box.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

raisingfreen

I would be curious to know how a 3-in-one pedal such as this would be powered. If all three need at least 9v 60-100ma each to run how to you develop a circuit to run 3 effects from one 9v power supply. Or if all three wanted to see 12v for example how would this be done?

fulltone1989

Is it possible to have an exp in and an AB switch to select between a wah and vibe speed control?

Quote from: raisingfreen on August 01, 2012, 10:28:19 PM
Good idea....
Visual Sound came out with the original Route 66 that was sorta like this but the comp was always before "single" drive. I would suggest in an effort to appeal to a larger market and thus more customers that you use dip switches so that you could change the order of the effects signal (comp/od or od/comp). For example not everyone likes comp after drive (we do, but not everyone). I always wondered why for instance Analogman has not done this yet. He has the king thingy which has two drives but no comp. I bet it would be two pricy to the consumer. Just what would be attractive price for this?

Maybe if we could all just send in our Ts9s and a comp to be rehoused into one box?
In any case keep up the work and let use know what it will cost to buy one. I would be interested. I don't want it to say "Trey in a box" however (metaphorically this is wrong). Maybe just a simple (3) effect pedal in an all grey or black box.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

raisingfreen

Quote from: fulltone1989 on August 02, 2012, 12:00:09 AM
Is it possible to have an exp in and an AB switch to select between a wah and vibe speed control?

"Well, which is it young feller? You want I should freeze or get down on the ground? Mean to say, if'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop. And if'n I drop, I'ma gonna be in motion. You see..."

raisingfreen

Quote from: fulltone1989 on August 02, 2012, 12:00:09 AM

Ok...Just figured out what you were initially asking. I would guess a wha would need to somehow be able to switch from a wha to a expression pedal. Most times I have seen expression pedal used it is the Dunlop Vibe Expression pedal. Looks like wha but no inputs just a single output to connect to the device and controls either the rate or depth depending on what is selected via the a/b box.

Even if this could be done I would imagine you would want both anyway as the wha has a signal running through it and an expression does not. It appears the new Black Cat Vibe does have a EXP pedal input. I just wish they would build a controlled variable rate Trem the same way or put both in a single box and call it a TremVibe.

GonePhishing46

As far as the power, a simple "one spot" will power it just fine. I've already thought of this. I'm not really exploring over 9v, trying to keep it as simple as possible for a 3in1 effect. I do have it true bypassed also

GonePhishing46

GonePhishing46

It's in a Hammond 1590D enclosure which is 7.38" x 4.7" x 2.05"