Hollowbody/Semi-Hollowbody close to a 'doc?

Started by Mound1, June 12, 2009, 03:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picture_of_nectar

Oh, I thought you were talking about the link i posted on the previous page. I still think you are an asshole for calling David a douche here.

Yeah the video sounds like crap, it's obviously a cheap recorder, the acusitcs suck in that room and he has the looping track up way too loud.

Perhaps if he spray painted the guitar black and covered it in gaffing tape you'd think it was nice looking.

I'm leaving this website. Sick of your negativity, it's bringing me down. Have fun.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Poster

aww man Iam not attacking you? or david. dont get all mad :0(

Poster

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on December 31, 2009, 04:20:40 PM

Perhaps if he spray painted the guitar black and covered it in gaffing tape you'd think it was nice looking.

gaff tape is great stuff. all the hold, none of the stick!

Brian27

I love the Doc, but i wont be paying 10 grand for a guitar when i can get a Dillon or a Davison and do a little work to it. If you want to try to sound like Trey u need alot more the just his guitar. You have to spend almost 10 Thousand on amps, cabs, leslie, and a Rack of effects and Floor pedals. Trey's sound is way to worthy in my opinion to try to imitate 

Phabulous

Has anyone played a Bruton Universal?  They look sweet, and I've seen a lot of good buzz on other forums.  I think there's one on ebay right now for $2,500.

deadbearbobby

Quote from: Phabulous on October 27, 2010, 11:47:26 AM
Has anyone played a Bruton Universal?  They look sweet, and I've seen a lot of good buzz on other forums.  I think there's one on ebay right now for $2,500.

I talked to Ben Bruton the maker of Bruton guitars a few years ago about the universal uppercut... I love the look of it, and with a his 3 on 3 headstock design thought it would look sick... I never ended up buying a guitar from him. Ben is a great guy and very easy to talk to and more than willing to answer any questions. I just thought his prices were a little too high for someone that i'd heard of once (at the time) on the gear page... now there is a few post about him on the gear page... all say great things I almost bought the one you are talking about... but the headstock on it isn't that attractive, if im paying a good amount of money i want an awsome guitar with no flaws or things i dislike. However i will say that if i ever have $4,200 lying around and want an all flammed maple small archtop that is in the single cut shape... I would go to him. His double cut seems to be a little weird though. Very languedoc, but still seems off...
Apartment rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>SRB 808>Ross Clone>wally looper>Epiphone valve Jr
Gig rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>Big Muff >Ross Clone>wally looper>epiphone valve jr/polytone mini brute (stereo rig)>Two fender 15"bass cabinets
not in use: Vox AC4, Flanger hoax, Giga delay, PIgtronix Mothership

deadbearbobby

Quote from: Mound1 on June 12, 2009, 03:49:07 PM
Guitar question...

All else being equal (to Trey's rig), does anyone have any suggestions on what hollowbody/semi-hollowbody would achieve the closest to Trey's tone other than a Languedoc?  PRS?

Thanks!

In my opinon, and after owning a fully hollow guitar for a week haha... I really have to say that you can get "Languedoc sounds" out of any well made, small bodied, fully hollow guitar, run through a wah, a tube screamer, a compressor and into an already slightly overdriven amp. but the thing is yo have to be able to play like Trey to get the spot on "replica" sounds... Listen to phish or trey and listen to the way he solo's or plays chords. For soloing, he plays the notes slow or slower than the average player... letting some notes ring out and sustain for a few seconds... very much the way John Coltrane did or Miles davis... When Trey plays chords, he is using his right palm to mute strings as he plays to keep the guitar from feeding back too much... Really Trey has invented a new way to play guitar... Really he is crazy to have even used a fully hollow guitar with hot output pickups to begin with... but he did, and because of that fully hollow guitars arent just for jazz anymore. Oh and reguarding PRS... I have never really found them to be great at getting Trey/languedoc sounds... For that matter any semi hollow is tough to get a very, very close sound or a spot on sound... I used to own an Ibanez AWD82BK... I bought it because it looked like treys guitar... But it didn't sound like it... because there is a piece of wood running through the center. I hope this helps... really i'm no expert... just trying to help and share my experience.
Peace and do what works for you man.
Jazzed
Apartment rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>SRB 808>Ross Clone>wally looper>Epiphone valve Jr
Gig rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>Big Muff >Ross Clone>wally looper>epiphone valve jr/polytone mini brute (stereo rig)>Two fender 15"bass cabinets
not in use: Vox AC4, Flanger hoax, Giga delay, PIgtronix Mothership