Anyone else think Trey has completely lost his edge?

Started by cactuskeeb, August 31, 2009, 12:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raisingfreen

I think the best thing we got from all this is the re-introduction to the word "boo-ya". I'm not even sure I have heard it before. But I agree with ColForbin. If you going to use it it needs to be worthy. In this case it was just plain weird.kbye.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

HunSanity

Sorry but i have to chime in here...after a bunch of VERY elequent technical talk by poster keeb and walker (which i enjoy and agree with), the smartest thing i heard someone say was "he is all smiles" (and i read posternut agree)..

i know people, especially guitar nerds such as us, can sit here all day and nit pick, but at the end of the day our favorite player is doing a TON better for himself, and the music is showing that.. i saw them 3 times on the second summer leg, and even when i might have felt there was a boring moment, they are up there cheesing it up and having a blast (that is more impoortant then my opinion).. we should all be grateful (and i know we are) that the best band out right now is back, and enthusiastic agian!!!  this is the closest this band has been since their greates runs and it is becaus ethey are having fun agian!!

even with a few flubs, trey is far and away the best guitar player out right now and arguably the best ever (yes including hendrix, call me crazy)

trey is always gonna play mad notes, he is always going to have a lot of mid range, and he is always gonna explore.  my advice is to not get too hung up on one thing, as it is the greatness of the whole that matters....

p.s. dont mean to sound all professory, i know this started as more of a observation, and that is what a forum is for...but i just want to take a quick moment to show my appreciation to the band and all you smart peeps!!

later dudes..

Walker done done

I think it's a great point and agree.  They are up there smiling.  Awesome, keep it going Phish.  The fact that I get to even see them again - let alone in this wonderful capacity (them happy, the music sounding great, and everyone effin' psyched to be there) makes me overjoyed.  I needed this in my life right now, so you won't find me complaining.  And I don't think anyone here in this forum would disagree - we're all obviously psyched to have them back.  That's what's nice about this forum, too - we can express an opinion about a tone or a note or a philosophy or a pedal or a tablature and get some interesting feedback.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

HunSanity

cactuskeeb

Quote from: dopaphrit on September 08, 2009, 12:18:25 AM
Quote from: sour d on August 31, 2009, 03:10:13 PM
Ok, I'm gonna say it... My sister turned me on to phish in 1990 and I've been hitting shows/tours ever since. I feel the same way as cactuskeeb on this one and it kinda hurts to admit that my six string hero is sounding sub par. If you listen to any of the recent shows and a mistake is made, 9 times out of ten it was big red. As far as him getting used to a new rig, he should be able to show up with a line6 amp and a squier strat and still blow my mind. Maybe "sober trey" needs to relax and have a couple beers and sample some lot headies. That my friends is probably the magic that is missing.

That last part makes me sick. He's a human being trying to get healthy, so if his music is affected in his struggle to save his life, sobeit. It'll level itself out. Give him time. He's human. Forget the rockstar aspect for a second & respect the fact that he's a person dealing with his own shit outside of pleasing other people.

I'm glad you care so much about Trey the "human being."  That's so sweet of you, man...awe. :'(

cactuskeeb

Quote from: dopaphrit on September 08, 2009, 12:38:00 AM
I can't believe any musician would spend their time worrying about what another musician uses for gear (Much less what they PLAY!!!) even if its someone like Trey, instead of their own shit. You spend all your time in some messageboard....why don't you fucking close your laptop & go practice your own stuff and find your own voice. boo-ya. kbye.

Dopeaddict, I think you have to be a musician to understand what musicians would spend their time on, right?

EDIT: Oh, didn't see you guys and already ripped this guy to shreds on account of his booya-ing.  My bad.  I was just trying to help.

cactuskeeb

Quote from: Walker done done on September 16, 2009, 04:27:31 PM
I think it's a great point and agree.  They are up there smiling.  Awesome, keep it going Phish.  The fact that I get to even see them again - let alone in this wonderful capacity (them happy, the music sounding great, and everyone effin' psyched to be there) makes me overjoyed.  I needed this in my life right now, so you won't find me complaining.  And I don't think anyone here in this forum would disagree - we're all obviously psyched to have them back.  That's what's nice about this forum, too - we can express an opinion about a tone or a note or a philosophy or a pedal or a tablature and get some interesting feedback.

Awe... :'(

Walker done done

Quote from: cactuskeeb on September 22, 2009, 04:12:47 PM

Thanks for recognizing my post buddy.  Now here's a pack of gum, I'll show ya how to chew it!  ;D
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

cactuskeeb

Quote from: Walker done done on September 22, 2009, 04:16:43 PM
Quote from: cactuskeeb on September 22, 2009, 04:12:47 PM
I think it's a great point and agree.  They are up there smiling.  Awesome, keep it going Phish.  The fact that I get to even see them again - let alone in this wonderful capacity (them happy, the music sounding great, and everyone effin' psyched to be there) makes me overjoyed.  I needed this in my life right now, so you won't find me complaining.  And I don't think anyone here in this forum would disagree - we're all obviously psyched to have them back.  That's what's nice about this forum, too - we can express an opinion about a tone or a note or a philosophy or a pedal or a tablature and get some interesting feedback.

Thanks for recognizing my post buddy.  Now here's a pack of gum, I'll show ya how to chew it!  ;D

Thanks but I already knew how to chew stuff like gum before you were born.

Boo-yaw!

Walker done done

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Poster

Walker done done

Loop 3 Boomerang+