Main Menu

Road Rage

Started by manicstarseed, November 07, 2011, 10:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manicstarseed

Hi.

So as I am painfully aware when a tone sucking effect is doing so when the effect is not engaged, I am considering a bypass looping switch system. I found these kits at Road Rage http://www.roadrageprogear.com/compact_true_bypass.html and am wondering if they live up to their potential or are they more trouble than they are worth. It seems pretty legit as far as tone-transparency, but there are more connections, does that make a difference.

In the end I am going to get two (in front of amp and FX loop) of these things for my rig (X-mas present) and looking for some additional input on the practical application of such devices. Should I get their buffer while I am at it? What else should I consider?

I am aware that Voodoo makes programmable ones but I am not yet willing to spend $220 for a single 4x, then more money for the controller. I do not need the "programmable" at this time.

Any input would be welcome.
Thanks! :D

Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

picture_of_nectar

Those look nice. I use a Loopmaster switcher that looks similar. Definataly go for the Master ByPass switch. Allows you to go straight to clean with one click.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

fulltone1989

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on November 07, 2011, 11:44:30 PM
Those look nice. I use a Loopmaster switcher that looks similar. Definataly go for the Master ByPass switch. Allows you to go straight to clean with one click.

The loopmaster units are the best. Definitely get a master bypass though like picture said.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

manicstarseed

Master Bypass - Check.

We are going to get "more for our money" because I am buying the kits that will allow me to wire it any way I want. Getting the master bypass means I need a +1 to whatever quantity of loops I need. That's not a problem, just a point of design.

Should I be considering any active buffers? I have a CAE unity gain buffer that was slated to go in a guitar, but perhaps it makes more sense to be installed in the looper.

Thanks for  the input so far.

Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Synthesizer->GR-55

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

Happyorange27

Great article on buffers and true-bypass and how they can both be used properly for best tone.  I liked it.

http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/TheGigRig_what_is_a_buffer.pdf
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Poster

lol so run directly through a tuner on the true bypass board. no thanks! i basically agree with their use of the buffer, but meh, every tuner does something shitty to a guitar signal. my tc electronics has phony true bypass hence its place in a loop. but ive found each pedal's bypassed coloration is unique to each unit, typically the less the better sound, but if many stompboxes are needed, buffers are a must. you can also explore an OBEL, or buffered On Board Effect Loop, ala Kimock/Jerry, to remedy most all these issues.

Happyorange27

On the first setup they put the tuner on an A/B switch.  I think the article was helpful just in general for understanding some basics.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Poster

http://www.wald-electronics.com/wald-electronics_shop/tiger_preamp_clone.html

you dont have to use one with an OBEL, and they can push your guitar through a dozen boss pedals.

using a booster, or preamp pedal cant really do the same thing, as the buffer needs to be as close to the pickups as possible.

Happyorange27

I'd give you good karma points for that but I hate to mess up a perfect number.

Poster

some people put preamps/buffers in guitars for shredder style stuff, ala carvin, but you can easily mod those over to a stereo tip, mono out, OBEL ;0)

Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK93-Q2v0K4&feature=related

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK93-Q2v0K4&feature=related/url]

manicstarseed

So My New Schecter came with 6 dedicated piezo pickups http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?SubCategoryID=19 and the Graphtech Ghost system - http://www.graphtech.com/fckeditor/userfiles/File/GHOST%20A-P%20Manual.pdf.

I think this is a buffered input and should qualify for "buffered" and low impedance output, correct? Anyone disagree?
I know my LP and Strat all require an outboard buffer, thats besides the point....

Ah the OBEL....I think Jerry went to a UGB (unity gain buffer) to account for the fact that his guitar lead tripled in length overnight with the addition of the  OBEL.
Connecting the pickups directly to the effects is something I have considered time and again. Its tempting, but boring that extra 3/4" hole in the side of my guitar has kept me from installing it.

Synthesizer->GR-55

Poster

Jon from Further (now with his most recent rig, after DSO, in further and with $$$) is the closest Ive heard to the real deal. Completely organic tonality. I guess you just have to the entire caboodle to get the full force, ie each component, and front of house to feel it in your gut. There are couple of those guys kicking around with tribute rigs that get real damn close though. its awesome! checkout the bottom of the wald electronics custom shop page, they get close but no cigar! well except for that dude in flip flops, he was cool.

manicstarseed

I got the CB-1 http://www.caesound.com/cae_prod_new.html
for when I decide to go for the OBEL.

I am thinking about putting it in the Road Rage (1st or second position). I want at least the wah and the  soon to be Qtron+ "communicating" with the PUPs

Synthesizer->GR-55