Which EQ Pedal?

Started by fulltone1989, January 25, 2012, 11:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

That's kind of the tone that I was hoping to move towards in my DRRI with an EQ pedal, the mid-boosted DR.

Happy, how do you like the Dano Fish n' Chips EQ? It's gotten a fair amount of praise and is super cheap.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Happyorange27

Tom I bought it as a joke cuz I had $25 gift card at Best Buy. Well it's actually just fine. No obvious tone sucking. I really only use as a boost after compressor, meaning all bands at zero, just the volume slider raised. It does however sound good when sliders are used for a hump. I might upgrade some day but for the money it's good. Not much risk by just getting one.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

IamWILSON

Quote from: Happyorange27 on January 28, 2012, 05:20:34 PM
Tom I bought it as a joke cuz I had $25 gift card at Best Buy. Well it's actually just fine. No obvious tone sucking. I really only use as a boost after compressor, meaning all bands at zero, just the volume slider raised. It does however sound good when sliders are used for a hump. I might upgrade some day but for the money it's good. Not much risk by just getting one.

HO, why don't you just turn your compressor volume up a little more instead of using the eq as a flat boost?
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Happyorange27

Quote from: IamWILSON on January 28, 2012, 06:14:08 PM
Quote from: Happyorange27 on January 28, 2012, 05:20:34 PM

HO, why don't you just turn your compressor volume up a little more instead of using the eq as a flat boost?
Mr. Wilson that is a great question. As you may know when using a compressor pedal your dynamics are somewhat limited. When I met singing I'd like to have a normal volume and when I am soloing I like to have a louder volume hence I like the option of raising my entire volume of the rig.  Have you ever played on stage and you needed just a little more boost?  This is why I have a boost pedal.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Yea, I have a used Micro Amp I use for this, $40 used can't be beat!
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

IamWILSON

"Have you ever played on stage and you needed just a little more boost?  This is why I have a boost pedal." 

I've got a special volume knob installed on all my guitars just for this.  My knobs go up to 11... so if I need that little extra push over the cliff, I turn it up to 11.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Happyorange27

Quote from: IamWILSON on January 29, 2012, 03:09:36 PM
"Have you ever played on stage and you needed just a little more boost?  This is why I have a boost pedal." 

I've got a special volume knob installed on all my guitars just for this.  My knobs go up to 11... so if I need that little extra push over the cliff, I turn it up to 11.
That's cool but that pushes harder through all pedals especially OD. I go for a general increase after the compressor so that I don't necessarily push the signal to be dirtier. Also Wilson if you are playing with decent compression you method isn't buying you much volume boost right. Hey to each their own.

IamWILSON

Quote from: Happyorange27 on January 29, 2012, 03:12:44 PM
Quote from: IamWILSON on January 29, 2012, 03:09:36 PM

That's cool but that pushes harder through all pedals especially OD. I go for a general increase after the compressor so that I don't necessarily push the signal to be dirtier. Also Wilson if you are playing with decent compression you method isn't buying you much volume boost right. Hey to each their own.
Actually, I just save a little room in my regular volume knob for the increase.  Or if while playing, I really do need a little more volume after my guitars volume knob is maxed out, I will turn my amps volume up a little more.

Happy, have you ever seen Spinal Tap?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY

Happyorange27

Damn some if you videos aren't playing on my phone. I'll check it out later.

Yeah I don't want to be going over to amp an messing with it. I like defined levels of decibels. :)