Whipple Wah and Whipple hand wound inductors

Started by Happyorange27, December 19, 2010, 03:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

Disclaimer: I am not the expert on Whipple products. Contact Michael at dandyjob and go to
http://m.myspace.com/home.wap?bfd=webnext&isredirected=true#friends.list/profile/207833298
In order to get the real details.

With that being said I'll share my experience with my now good friend Dr. Steam Whipple. I did plenty of research on how to mod my Crybaby. I decided to order the Whipple halo inductor after many good reviews and sound clips. I also learned that Whipple has spent much of his life studying the original Clyde McCoy Vox circuit. Whipple is a meticulous fellow. He believes in high quality components for the entire pcb.  He found that he could hand wind his own inductors which have more inductance than most of your inductors found today. In fact I doubt you will find any inductors at 500mH. These are a critical component in the pedal. This mod alone will make your current wah sing.
You will see there are other common mods on his site as well, like resistor swaps, true bypass switch and the ICAR potentiometer. That pot made a huge difference for me as well. Basically I did all of these mods to my Crybaby including an LED and it was a total transformation!
Up until this past summer he had to modify existing pcb boards which is fine but you are limited to the traces and the signal path and board real-estate. When I purchased my inductor, Whipple left me a funny reply to my message and so I joked back with him. I mentioned that I was an engineer and that I would be happy to help him out if he ever needed a prototype of anything mechanical or electrical. He inquired about designing a dedicated pcb and I was happy to start presenting concepts. In short, we went through about 100 iterations of the pcb layout in order to optimize component nesting, low noise, wire access and many other specifcation that you never knew existed until you design a pcb from scratch:)
So we ordered the first batch and we prayed that it was going to work. IT DID!
The result is the best wah pedal ever known to our ears. It was such a celebration that we made a bad ass wah together. Again, I'm really just the dude that worked on the pcb; Whipple is the man behind every other detail. He took only the best parts of the classic Vox wah and tossed the junk. In my opinion it's the best wah system. I recommend trying his mods or outright buying a complete Whipple Wah from him.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Poster

Very interesting indeed! Hmm, I really want to do a side by side comparison with one of my wah's and a whipple. Maybe Ill mail you my backup!

What inductors does he use? Red/Yellow/Orange?

Happyorange27

Quote from: posternutbag on December 20, 2010, 12:20:26 PM

What inductors does he use? Red/Yellow/Orange?

None of those colors man. This is a different animal.

I'll do a side by side for you if you want.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Poster

What i meant to say, what what does his inductor sound closest to? More mids? Less mids? More bass? Less bass? Vintage EQ? More modern EQ? Thanks!

Happyorange27

In a nutshell I'll say vintage EQ. It's definitely not like a Morely which sounded like a laser. That was back in my early days. Anyway the range is full for sure but the volume doesn't have any spikes which is great. Most of the sweep is uniform in volume. You can of course mod in some bass or do a vocal mod if you need a change. But I can just sit there and play with the wah for long periods of time because it has so much depth.
My original Crybaby had limited frequency range which I never noticed till I put in the ICAR pot.

Poster

mine has 8 pots inside. Gain, Vol, Sweep, Treb, Mid, Bass, Bright, and Voice. with a 3 way inductor selector. The middle position has a special inductor from Pete Cornish and thats what seems to be a mix of red and yellow fasel. i use that one the most.   My backup only has mods from Garmopat, he very recently just reworked that one for me, and has fewer internal pots. No voice or bright, and no Cornish. Its housed in a V847, and sounds wonderful. I think its hardwired to have a red fasel but id have to check. Maybe i can get a whipple inductor for it, and put in a three way switch :0D

Happyorange27

sour d

Quote from: posternutbag on December 21, 2010, 06:32:31 AM
Maybe i can get a whipple inductor for it, and put in a three way switch :0D
I think you would be happy with just the whipple. $25 and 3 minutes with a soldering iron. Try it. If you don't like it I'll buy it from you.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

raisingfreen

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Walker done done

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Happyorange27