NPD- TC Electronics Nova Repeater

Started by fulltone1989, July 18, 2011, 05:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

SO I traded my TC Flashback for this, and I'm really happy I did. The delay tones are just as good and I am really loving the delay loops I can make with my Whammy and Nova on the fly via the tap tempo. Getting the pedal made me flip-around my whole rig and I am really excited for making some great music with this new piece of gear.

Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

ColForbin

Cool, so what besides the obvious would be the main differences between the flashback and the nova repeater?  I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something......
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

fulltone1989

Quote from: ColForbin on July 19, 2011, 12:02:38 PM
Cool, so what besides the obvious would be the main differences between the flashback and the nova repeater?  I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something......

I would say that one of the really useful options for me at least on the Nova Repeater is that it has more delay settings, such as dotted 8th and so on and so forth. This feature provides other flavors of the same delay type, and can be used to spicen up the slapback of a delay-drenched solo. A slightly obvious feature thats new to me at least is the modulation knob. It works great! I can get some DMM style tones out of this for sure with some slight mod knob tweaks. The tone knob is also pretty cool for adding brightness to your repeats. In addition, the Kill Dry button is fun to use with your toe on the reverse setting for a trippy, reverse solo effect. I dig it!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

Happyorange27

This thread made me look into the Repeater.  I already almost got the Flashback but hesitated due to some feedback from folks.  I just want a workhorse delay unit with no frills.  The Repeater is what I will most likely get.  The Repeater has both foot and strum tap tempo which is great.  I don't need a looper built in because I hate having to choose between looper or delay.  I want both in separate pedals.  I like the dial options on the Repeater too.  I'm the type that will probably end up keeping all the dials set to one type of delay and I'll just tap my tempos and use it when needed.  Sometimes too many options are a bitch like when I take my wife to a fancy restaurant and the menu is huge, I'm all like "just pick one thing and get it already!".  ...Yeah go Repeater. :P
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Poster

I use two of these with "black" firmware. The main shitty thing about it are, you cant store any presets. So it may have a ton of great settings, but you can only use one! Hence, why I have two. I went to these after dumping an eventide delay pedal. The black hacker firmware makes the output louder, thats about it I think.

jadirusso

How do you get the different firmware and flash it?
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

fulltone1989

Quote from: Happyorange27 on July 19, 2011, 12:13:50 PM
This thread made me look into the Repeater.  I already almost got the Flashback but hesitated due to some feedback from folks.  I just want a workhorse delay unit with no frills.  The Repeater is what I will most likely get.  The Repeater has both foot and strum tap tempo which is great.  I don't need a looper built in because I hate having to choose between looper or delay.  I want both in separate pedals.  I like the dial options on the Repeater too.  I'm the type that will probably end up keeping all the dials set to one type of delay and I'll just tap my tempos and use it when needed.  Sometimes too many options are a bitch like when I take my wife to a fancy restaurant and the menu is huge, I'm all like "just pick one thing and get it already!".  ...Yeah go Repeater. :P

There are both positives and negatives of for each delay. For example, The FB has the option of a buffered-bypass (which is kind of a Boss type bypass with no tone suck) and the small footprint. Negatives are you have to decide between looper and delay, no tone knob, and no tap (these were for me at least) The Repeater for reasons I outlined in my above post. Both pedals can have defects for firmware issues, being digital and all. I think that should you pick it you will find musical uses for all the settings. I would check the Gear Page's emporium section, the Repeater can be had for around $110 all day. Flashback's usually run you $130-40 over there.

Quote from: Ole' Whiskey Calhoone on July 19, 2011, 01:46:16 PM
I use two of these with "black" firmware. The main shitty thing about it are, you cant store any presets. So it may have a ton of great settings, but you can only use one! Hence, why I have two. I went to these after dumping an eventide delay pedal. The black hacker firmware makes the output louder, thats about it I think.

Have you looked into the Nova Delay? A repeater with presets was what I got from the demos and descriptions.
Quote from: jadirusso on July 19, 2011, 02:02:11 PM
How do you get the different firmware and flash it?

I wanna know this too... seems useful.

IamWILSON

"Have you looked into the Nova Delay? A repeater with presets was what I got from the demos and descriptions."

I bought the Nova Repeater before I even realized Trey was using it and did a side by side assessment comparing it to the Nova Delay.  The extra options of the Delay were so not worth it for the price boost.  Plus I use 2 different settings with the repeater so I am practiced and quick enough to bend down and change what I need on the fly.  Its actually easier in my opinion than using the tap tempo, especially because the 2 settings I use still require knob adjustments.  When I'm on top of my game at a gig I like to remember before the song starts or during a part where its not necessary to play, but usually I remember right before I need it and make the adjustments quickly.  I wish I could afford a 2nd pedal, but its not really in the budget right now.

My only really issue with the Repeater is that I sometimes I tap the kill try button on accident when stomping the effect on or off and I lose my signal.  It really through me for a loop in rehearsal one day and had me checking a bunch of wires and connections before I realized what had happened.  I wish there was a way to disengage it completely.  The spill off feature is a must use though!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Happyorange27

Thanks Wilson!  Only time I used to bend down on delay was to turn the time knob for cool trippy, zipping effects. I'm sure everyone has done this on a delay pedal.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

ColForbin

I think I'll stick with my Flashback.  The analog dry-thru feature (i.e dry signal not being digitally converted), small footprint and the fact that it runs standard 9v is worth it for me to not have a tap tempo.  It sure would be nice, but I'm getting pretty used to the audio tapping by now.  Plus I never need to switch tempo on the fly.  But the Nova Repeater does look super cool man, have fun.
Current rig: 
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp

Happyorange27

Quote from: ColForbin on July 20, 2011, 07:36:57 AM
I think I'll stick with my Flashback.  The analog dry-thru feature (i.e dry signal not being digitally converted), small footprint and the fact that it runs standard 9v is worth it for me to not have a tap tempo.  It sure would be nice, but I'm getting pretty used to the audio tapping by now.  Plus I never need to switch tempo on the fly.  But the Nova Repeater does look super cool man, have fun.

Now i'm leaning the other way Col ;D  Good points you mention here.

fulltone1989

They're both great delay pedals.. just for my application and forseeable uses in the future,  the Repeater was a better fit for me.

Wilson- Thats very interesting, I also checked out the same Delay and was wondering why they can get away with charging so much extra? The Kill Dry is a pain sometimes, but it can be very useful for the reverse effect. What does the spill-over exactly do? I haven't been able to get to that part of the manual yet.

IamWILSON

Quote from: tomasmaclennan on July 20, 2011, 10:40:23 AM
They're both great delay pedals.. just for my application and forseeable uses in the future,  the Repeater was a better fit for me.

Wilson- Thats very interesting, I also checked out the same Delay and was wondering why they can get away with charging so much extra? The Kill Dry is a pain sometimes, but it can be very useful for the reverse effect. What does the spill-over exactly do? I haven't been able to get to that part of the manual yet.

Spill-over allows the effect to fade out after you turn it off so its just not an abrupt change.  I've never had that feature in a delay pedal before and it makes a world of difference, imo. 

Forbin, now you do make the flashback seem like its worth checking out.  I've never played on on it before.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

ColForbin

The flashback has kill dry, but it's nowhere near as accessible as the kill dry on the Nova repeater.  It's a dip switch inside the pedal, that is for use with effects loops.  Actually, it's one of two dip switches.  The other is to put the pedal into true bypass or buffered mode.  When you are in buffered mode, you have your spillover or "trails" that you guys are talking about.  When you are in true bypass however, it doesn't have them.  I wanted a buffer at the end of my chain anyways, so seeing as the flashback is the last pedal in my chain, I run it in buffered.  That way I have a buffer and I have the spill over feature.  I love that feature, it's quite dandy.

I think it all boils down to what your needs are.  For tomas and his requirements, the nova repeater is his baby.  For me, it's the flashback.  I was tight on room and I didn't want to run another adapter, and the fb sounded great to me...so that was the pedal for me.  Either way, they are both killer.  I'm sure Trey is digging his repeater bigtime.
Current rig: 

sour d

Does anybody know what Trey is using the repeater for? Or what settings he's using?
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe