Educate me on vibes

Started by fulltone1989, August 01, 2011, 04:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Quote from: Happyorange27 on September 14, 2011, 10:17:36 AM
I checkout out some Micro Vibe videos and it seems good.  Also on the price low end is the Lovepedal Pickle Vibe but sounds great too.  Hmmm.

I owned a pickle vibe for a few months, and its a decent pedal which held it's value through my ownership, I sold it for the MV. Reason being for me was that it only has a speed knob, although there's an internal trim pot for intensity inside the unit. It also didn't get very intense, the effect was quite subtle when the trip pot was maxed out. Also, its an emulation of the circuit- no photocell bulb, meaning the pickle vibe is essentially a phaser. A good effect - yes. I just wanted big knobs for the feet.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Happyorange27

[/quote]

I've got plenty of time on thursday! Will get it onto youtube for you then. The VL Micro Vibes can be found for around 80 on the used market, GC used section gives you a 30 day or so if you don't like it.
[/quote]

Hook me up ;)
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

raisingfreen

For great sound and a simple one knob pedal I would say check out the Sweet Sound MoFaux Vibe. I have had a few of these and have settled on an older black one. The new ones come in white. It sounds basically the same as thier larger MoJo Vibe but is more of a set it and forget it type pedal. It has an internal trim pot that helps a bit for fine tuning. I put a Fulltone style large knob on mine and can control with my foot. Very easy and sounds just perfect. Same size as a small MXR box as well. Can be found between $120-$200 even though it is possible to get a new one direct from Barb (Bob Sweets wife) if you can actually get a hold of her. Also available on a few websites including Analogman.

For the price its worth a try, as it will easily keep its resale value.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Happyorange27

Sweet!  pun intended... I didn't know those pedals can still be obtained.  I saw Analogman had one for auction a while back.  Is there only a handful left or does someone still make them for the Sweet business?  I wonder.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

fulltone1989

You can buy them from Sweet Sound. I am looking for a vibe with a smaller footprint, perhaps I may get a Pickle Vibe.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

fulltone1989

picture_of_nectar

I just bought one of those black case Mofaux vibes. I'll let ya know how I like it.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

raisingfreen

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on October 24, 2011, 10:10:19 PM
I just bought one of those black case Mofaux vibes. I'll let ya know how I like it.

There is a trim pot on the inside that is useful ONLY if your absolutely not getting the sound you want. These vibes tend to sound best at all settings below 2pm (on the external dial) unless you like the fast rate craziness. If for any reason if you decide to adjust the trim pot, note the exact original position first for reference as its hard to see. As I recall the best adjustment is actually counter clockwise in the smallest amount possible. The total range of adjustment is not much but if you get it wrong it makes it sound like crap. (ie it will get thinner sounding and more phasery)

Great pedal, just don't overdo any internal adjustments. I have been testing this alongside a Fulltone Deja Vibe and the MoFaux sounds really great to me. The Deja has some more adjustments however. Just put a larger round knob on the MoFaux so you can adjust with your foot. Simple and takes up a really small footprint.

BTW, Sweet Sound did make a Pro level half rack vibe just like the Black Cat. Have never seen one for sale however.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux