Trey's Super Tremolo foot controllers

Started by snooner, November 15, 2012, 07:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snooner

I Think I got this... Been looking at this damn floorboard all day, here's what I came up with-

Someone had asked in another thread what type of expression pedal it was that was hooked up to the super tremolo.  The answer given seemed odd to me.  It is a dunlop, but the model number didn't match any dunlop, it matched another brand that looked nothing like a dunlop.  So I've narrowed it down to 2, it's in fact either a univibe controller (this is what I think it is) or perhaps the dunlop high gain volume pedal.  Bob Bradshaw did say that a volume pedal was recommended, but it would make sense that the same pedal that controls the rate of a univibe would control the rate of the super tremolo.  (It even kind of looks like 2 words used to exist on the label in the picture, which backs up the univibe expression theory.)

Next, the "custom latching switch" is not a custom job at all.  I noticed the tape under the labels..  Tape in trey's rig usually covers brands. (think Furman power conditioner) The layout of the switchbox was distinctly Morley, but the letters "A" and "B" looked different than the standard "A and B" and "A or B" I was used to seeing. I went through pic after pic of every footswitch I could find online til I found it.  An old school Morley RFS-2.

But then how is it hooked up and how do the "CHOP" and "CH.B" switches function??

Here's the theory..
Trey needs an on/off switch for the super tremolo for sure, it's in the 'dig crap' loop with other stuff, so the loop switch itself wont be the on / off..  I had thought it may have been one of the unlabeled switches in the rs 10, but that would be waaay too much tap dancing just to control tremolo sounds..  I'd bet on the CHOP switch being the "bypass" or on/off.  He's just calling the tremolo "chop", it doesn't change the waveform..  I'll bet he leaves it on square all the time.  The Ch B switch is just that..  When the LED is on over the CH. B switch, its on preset B. On the back of the super trem are different 1/4 inch jacks for each switch function.  The chop button is most likely hooked up to the bypass, and the ch. b is hooked up to the A/B that toggles between the 2 trem preset sounds.   Then I noticed that there was only one cable coming out of the back of the RFS-2..  Here's the thought, although I won't be able to test it with my own super tremolo until I get an old school morley switch.. The RFS-2 accepts a stereo cable.  I'll bet its just a stereo 1/4" male to dual 1/4" monos.  Done.  Again, untested hypothesis, but sure sounds good!

Pretty sure this more accurately describes the Super Tremolo gear, how it's hooked up, and how it functions.

(woohoo! first post!  Long time lurker, first time poster... nutbag.)    :)

the_great_lemon

Wow! That was awesome! Great research, and welcome!!!  ;D
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

snooner

Thanks!  It had just been bugging the hell out of me for a while now..

snooner

Just discovered the Morley MQ2.  Looks like the RFS-2 , but with one centered output, not 2.  Cant find too much info about this thing.  Trying to see if it accepts a stereo cable.  I know that this is the smallest of details, but the mq2 appears to say "in / out" by the jack.  Trey's says nothing there like the rfs2, but his has a centered jack, the rfs 2 has 2 on the edges..  Damn you Trey!!!!   :)  It's like the RFS 2 and the Mq2 had a baby..

snooner

Just got off the phone with Scott at Morley pedals.  Super cool dude.  Looks like they haven't made the MQ-2 since about 1997!  They don't come up used for sale that often.. He was gracious enough to offer to dig up the schematic and custom build me a 'NOS' version for lack of better terms.  Ironically enough, even though they were mass produced in the 90's, mine will indeed be a "custom latching switch," (like the label on this site said anyway)- just made by the guys at Morley to be like what they used to offer.  He told me to send pics of Trey's, and he'd get it done.  Wow, super impressed that they even cared this much about my one single little silly switchbox!  So there ya go, leaning toward Trey's being the MQ2, but it doesnt really matter if the guys at Morley are willing to build whatever works with my Super Tremolo.  Seriously awesome customer service.