GRAB drifting

Started by Poster, January 08, 2008, 09:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

One of my favorite songs to play
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Poster

you should totally make a you tube video breaking down drifting, i still dont know a few changes :oops:

about midway though this video trey starts making gestures to the sound guy and looking over toward mike and marco, its like he could carry on a 3 way conversation without missing a beat. totally awesome

Walker done done

I will once my git gets here and I've had some time to test drive her.   :o

For some reason I've noticed youtube won't let me post videos longer than a few minutes long, yet I see other videos on there that are as long as 20 minutes......so what gives?
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Poster

i haven't bought myself a digi video camera yet, because i have too many toys already and know i couldnt help myself from legging shows :) maybe one day  :?:  but yeah youtube like myspace is screwy like that. anything for free has to suck somehow right?

Walker done done

Quote from: \"posternutbag\"about midway though this video trey starts making gestures to the sound guy and looking over toward mike and marco, its like he could carry on a 3 way conversation without missing a beat. totally awesome

He's telling them not to blow their load yet.  You can see (and hear) his thoughts as he's building the jam up and really relying heavily on color notes (3,5,6,7,9, etc.) and then climaxing when it's right, and that way both Mike & Marco know when & how to build the jam along with him so when it DOES crescendo, you get this total orgasmic & organic feeling like something big just happened naturally, which is true, but all it really is is a methodical process of building blocks to help the group (and the audience) reach that \"level\".  It takes good ears and discipline to do that.

Something I've been trying to instill into my bandmates for a while now, though it seems for the most part it falls on deaf ears either because they a.) don't try hard enough (i.e. practice at HOME.....geez what a brilliant concept huh?), b.) don't understand it, or c.) aren't listening enough to what's going on around them.  Probably a combination of all 3 and then some.  Too often people just listen to what they are playing, which is incredibly frustrating and eventually will show itself and you'll realize that what it is is what it is.  It's also the sign of a number of other things, not the least of which is a musician who needs to improve.  It is VITAL to always try to be listening to what others are playing.

There's an old saying: \"you can tell a guitarist, but you can't tell him much\", though I find the saying is quite universal for ALL instruments, not just guitar.  In the end, you can't force people to do something; they're either going to get it or not.

Obviously, these guys (Grab) GET IT.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Walker done done

Also, he makes some gestures towards the front of house - not sure if when you said soundguy you meant the on-stage sound guy or soundboard sound guy, though I'm not convinced he's looking at Paul - I think it's more probable that he's looking at CK5 and letting him know when to get the freak on with the light show and what not.  Just a guess.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Poster

yeah its hard to tell from that video for sure. very goofy cool nonetheless. from all the other tapes of grab ive heard marco and trey do chase each other a bit during the jam dueling color notes. maybe its as simple as trey signaling marco that hes starting that rehearsed progression? its pretty much the same thing each time with grab. i love it