Ever have to fire someone in your band?

Started by phishlips, October 12, 2010, 08:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

It's all good. You both love to play and you both have a strategy for quality results. We all develop our preferences from our experiences.

I practice alone hard so that I'm not the lame duck during band practice. But only at band practice will we polish all those critical moments and cues that make performances spectacular and impressive.

So both of you dorks are correct ok!  Go drink a beer already and stick your hand in your pants and chill-ax.

I've been entertained:)
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Walker done done

Quote from: Happyorange27 on November 08, 2010, 09:27:25 PM
I've been entertained:)

That makes 2 of us =)

Good thread, I'm glad everyone has chimed in, it's made for some good reading if nothing else.  And, for the record, both of you have valid points.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

aoguitars

Quote from: Rusty the Scoob on November 08, 2010, 10:34:25 AM
If it's going to be just hangout time instead, then I want beers, a grill, and a football game, not to stand around with instruments and watch people learn songs.

Ah! And Rusty, this is something you most likely do every week. Sounds to me like you enjoy PRACTICING at being an awesome Patriots fan every Sunday. I like your style.

But seriously, guys, there are VALID points on each side. And unfortunately, just like it seems on every other thread on this site, people seem to take stuff a little too seriously, feel threatened, and then the name calling comes out. What good is a forum like this when people can't screw around with each other a little? Is sarcasm not allowed? I thought Rusty's "we're not arguing" bit was pretty funny, because it obviously wasn't serious. Honestly, this is a Phish-based forum, based on a community (Phish) of stellar, laid-back, funny and most importantly, intelligent people. Everyone brings great knowledge of the music and gear...but let's have some fun and levity, huh?

Back to the music...I happen to side with Rusty from my own experience in playing in a professional band. Practicing weekly was borderline impossible (we gigged 1-2 times a week), so we had songs to learn, songs to write, and when we got together, we were prepared with our parts, and practice was beneficial. That's just being professional--or at least it shows the devotion to furthering the band's vibe. Granted, sometimes you all get together and no one had the time, so you practice jamming--and which we can thank Phish's legendary practicing schemes for. I have never been good at practicing on my own. If I need to learn a tune, I'll throw it on, figure it out, done. But then practicing scales or modes or whatever? Never. However, the band was more of an improv-based jamband (Phish, Dead, Zappa, and originals), so our gigs were just as equally practice as they were performances....once the lights go down and you're on the stage, you're not relying on the Lydian mode, you're relying on your ears and the other guys in the band. That's when I (or you) really stretch out and learn new stuff, on the fly.

And Phishlips, glad things worked out with talking to the drummer--just like any relationship, communication is paramount. But shit, why is it always the drummers that are the wingnuts??                         (sarcasm)   (sort of  ;D)

ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

phishlips

....alright, alright,.......sorry for the name calling.

I hear you guys that a once a week practice is a lot to ask, it is.  However, these guys are a bit older and have the time without running out on family responsibilities or other things like that.  And, they're into it.

Rusty, maybe you and I should met and settle this "debate" on a stage sometime, huh???  (thats not a angry challenge, thats a friendly, lets have some fun jammin invite). ;D
G&L ASAT lately into- RMC3, modded ts7, modded ts9, ibanez delay, ross compressor, boss tuner, fender super.  lots of other stuff but thats the meat and potatoes.

Walker done done

And for the record, I actually like practicing - any time I get to jam w/ others is a good day - I think we'd all agree on that.  However, to Rusty's point, I don't need to practice once a week either (but I sure do get better as a player when I do....sometimes....sometimes it's good to take breaks too because if you practice too much it can sometimes get monotonous.)  I think he's right on the fact that you should expect your bandmates to show up prepared & ready to go.  But again, to phishlips point, my band usually does practice once a week...a.) we add songs at a pretty good clip, so we need to in some cases, and b.) we all like getting out of the house to have our "me" time with the rest of the guys.  As we all know it's a great place and a great excuse to "blow off some steam" as one guy we all know once (in)famously put it.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Rusty the Scoob

Quote from: phishlips on November 09, 2010, 12:11:25 PM
....alright, alright,.......sorry for the name calling.

I hear you guys that a once a week practice is a lot to ask, it is.  However, these guys are a bit older and have the time without running out on family responsibilities or other things like that.  And, they're into it.

Rusty, maybe you and I should met and settle this "debate" on a stage sometime, huh???  (thats not a angry challenge, thats a friendly, lets have some fun jammin invite). ;D

No worries, I certainly deserved the name-calling.  I like to push the boundaries too far sometimes in music and in life.

I'll jam with you anytime, Phishlips!  Hell, I'll even have a band practice with you if you like!   ;D
Phishhead playing Phil

www.fennario.us

phishlips

Whelp...got a new drummer!  We have a few dates to finish out with the other guy but thats that.  The old drummer decided he is going back out on the road with his bigger band (which I can't blame him at all) and understands that he needs to be replaced for good.  Sooooo, the new guy we got we've all known for a few years and totally smokes.  We're really excited to see where this goes now, we've been writing all winter and ready to actually play them with a drummer and let them evolve on their own now.  Played a gig last night that was just like an awakening!
G&L ASAT lately into- RMC3, modded ts7, modded ts9, ibanez delay, ross compressor, boss tuner, fender super.  lots of other stuff but thats the meat and potatoes.

sour d

Quote from: phishlips on April 01, 2011, 02:23:11 PM
Whelp...got a new drummer!  We have a few dates to finish out with the other guy but thats that.  The old drummer decided he is going back out on the road with his bigger band (which I can't blame him at all) and understands that he needs to be replaced for good.  Sooooo, the new guy we got we've all known for a few years and totally smokes.  We're really excited to see where this goes now, we've been writing all winter and ready to actually play them with a drummer and let them evolve on their own now.  Played a gig last night that was just like an awakening!
That's great. Sounds like a positive change. With the new drummer, what will you be using for settings on your RMC3? (I know, that has nothing to do with anything but I'm really curious what people are using for settings and I noticed you use a RMC3)
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

phishlips

Yes, a great change for the band.  Really good energy going on right now.  Too bad we still have a few dates with the other guy left to honor.  Last nights gig was smoking right from the start.  This guy is a real jazzer but comfortable with everything it seems.  Funny enough, he actually taught the other guy we've been using years ago.  I think we now have four people on the same musical and mental page.

RMC3, to be honest I'm not in love with this setting but here it is.  low and mid at 12, sweep at 7, volume at full.  fine tune 12/3 and 4,5, &6 dips on.  The biggest problem I have with this pedal is a volume lost I get or maybe not loss but with it on it doesn't really cut through the mix like I need it too.  I contacted Geoff and he sent me a new on/off switch but it didn't really make too big a difference.  Kinda frustrated with it, and completely over paid for it (thats what I get though for letting the girlfriend bid on it while I was at work...).  Anyway, I've been watching your thread hoping for some good ideas too.  So to sum it up, I'm still fooling around with it too.

Happyorange27

If you can locate the first resistor, probably a 68k, you can lower it to 56k or near that. This allows for more volume when wah is on. I'm referencing the crybaby circuit so if this is not present on a Teese, sorry. Just trying to help.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex