Heavy Dime this Saturday 1/22/11 @ Bubba's Sulky Lounge

Started by Walker done done, January 20, 2011, 11:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

In case anyone wants to make the trip, we'll be there!  Phishy first set, dance/jam 2nd set.  We're also pulling out a couple of new tunes (we'd have more but are bringing along a new bassist).  New tunes are Regulators (Warren G) and Willin' (Little Feat).   8)

We'll also have my good friend Toby on drums for the first set (YES!!!!), a good friend Mr. Flip is going to be singing Regulators with us, and my sister Jenileigh will also be joining us in the 2nd set for It's My Life (Talk Talk, better known by when No Doubt covered it).

Gonna be a fun night...Bubba's is always crazy.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

sour d

Just happens to fall on a saturday night that I'm working. It's too bad because I really want to see that light up dance floor. Maybe next time.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Walker done done

Quote from: sour d on January 20, 2011, 01:27:26 PM
Just happens to fall on a saturday night that I'm working. It's too bad because I really want to see that light up dance floor. Maybe next time.

Arghh bitchin'!  Well, gotta make the benjamins somehow right?  Next time for sure.  The dance floors are quiet the spectacle...especially come 11pm and on, once everyone is sideways.  Bubba's is a tough place to play from a band perspective - the stage is surrounded by brick and the enclosure in which we play in is quite compact (for a 5 piece anyways) so the sound can be tricky on stage...damn near impossible sometimes to hear the guy next to you (unless the bass is next to you...for some reason you can always hear those fuckers! LOL).  But...people LOVE going there, and everyone is always pickled when they leave.  It's like walking into an indoor flea market, too - there's shit on the walls everywhere...weird shit, like old signs from the Wild West, an old carriage wheel here, a freaky looking maniquin there.  Kind of reminds me of a few cool shows I've seen on TV lately...sort of a combination between American Pickers, Oddities, and Pawn Stars all wrapped into one.  Quite bizarre, indeed.

The other thing that makes it tough is the management (or lack there of).  We only make the door, which is fine...but we need to pay our own soundguy (most places in Portland, sans the Big Sleazy, have a sound guy for you) and you have to pay your own door guy.  But get this - it's the door guy's responsibility to check ID's!  Tell me: since when is a guy I hired qualified to check ID's????  It's crazy.  Pretty much we could let anyone of any age in since it's technically not "on us" if they get busted. 

But regardless - definitely get down to Bubba's at some point...it's pretty weird yet somehow cool at the same time.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Walker done done

Here's our setlist from Bubba's on 1/22:

Saturday 1/22/11 Bubba's Sulky Lounge - Portland, ME

I:
Comes A Time (Neil Young) >
Walk Away (The James Gang)
Loving Cup (Rolling Stones)
Life During Wartime (Talking Heads)
^Late In The Evening (Paul Simon)
Shakedown Street (Grateful Dead) >
Roses Are Free (Ween)
Sex On Fire (Kings of Leon)
Money For Nothing (Dire Straits)
Couldn't Get It Right (Derek Holt & The Climax Blues Band) >
Bm Jam (Heavy Dime) >
Down Under (Men At Work) >
Crosseyed & Painless (Talking Heads)
Message In A Bottle (The Police)
Suzy Greenberg (Phish)
**Regulate (Warren G)

II.
Take On Me (A-ha)
#It's My Life (No Doubt/Talk Talk)
I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You (Alan Parsons Project) >
Eyes Of The World (Grateful Dead) >
Sledgehammer (Peter Gabriel)
Rock and Roll (Velvet Underground)
What I Got (Sublime)
Billie Jean (Michael Jackson) >
Bubba's Jam (Heavy Dime) >
Psycho Killer (Talking Heads)
Your Love (The Outfield)
And She Was (Talking Heads)
Kids (MGMT)
Wagon Wheel (Old Crow Medicine Show)
Alive (Pearl Jam)
*Willin' (Little Feat)

Show Notes:
- entire 1st set with Toby White on drums (our regular drummer, Steve Sincyr, on drums for set 2)
^ - with Jeremiah St. Clair on bass & Kevin Town on trumpet
* - 1st time played.
** - 1st time played.  With Chris DiPhilipo on lead vocals and Jenileigh Taylor on backup vocals
# - with Jenileigh Taylor on lead vocals

Loop 3 Boomerang+

patrickstefanski

Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

sour d

Nice to see the setlist. Better to hear it. Did you guys happen to record it? Regulators, mount up!
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

cactuskeeb

Wow, that setlist is huge.  Great mix of song styles as well.  Do you have any recordings of recent shows?

Walker done done

Thanks guys.  I also enjoy the diversity of the setlist, it keeps it interesting.  I find myself getting bored with songs quickly so we're always adding new songs at a pretty decent clip.  I'm always trying to get more Phish in the setlist, but I at least get my rocks off by jamming on a lot of these songs. 

Most of the recordings are done w/ our keyboardists Zoom H4n, so they're audience recordings (and therefore aren't the best quality)...but they're listenable for sure.  We have a couple of SBD's here and there and our new soundguy is going to be doing board recordings from now on (hopefully).

But...I do have recordings of all the recent shows and was looking for a place to upload them so I could include a link when I post the setlist for anyone who wanted to listen.  Was thinking of using the Archive, but have never uploaded there before...is it easy?  Any other ideas would be welcome.  Thanks again.

PS, new songs we're working on (no particular order):
- November Rain (GNR)
- Ride Captain Ride (Blues Image)
- Right Down The Line (Gerry Rafferty)
- Fatman In The Bathtub (Little Feat)
- Baker Street (Gerry Rafferty)
- Down By The Seaside (Zeppelin)
- Man Eater (Hall & Oates, regretably...lol)
- Tiny Dancer (Elton John)

Trying to get Hood, Tweezer, Halley's, Light, 2001, and Beauty Of My Dreams into the rotation too, but not for this next show, which is at Buck's Naked BBQ on 2/25.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Walker done done

Quote from: sour d on February 05, 2011, 06:14:33 PM
Nice to see the setlist. Better to hear it. Did you guys happen to record it? Regulators, mount up!

I was really excited to get Regulators into the setlist.  Unfortunately, my buddy Flip who came up and sang it with/for us didn't do as good a job as I had hoped but it was still a blast to play.  I'd like to keep it in the rotation but it'll depend on if I can convince the band, and if someone will take half the verses (either Warren G's or Nate Dogg's part...it's a hard one to try and sing all the verses yourself, you run out of air halfway through)

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Walker done done

Quote from: cactuskeeb on February 05, 2011, 07:19:49 PM
Wow, that setlist is huge.  Great mix of song styles as well.  Do you have any recordings of recent shows?

Got some recordings - where should I upload to?

Loop 3 Boomerang+