Main Menu

Compressors?

Started by the_great_lemon, December 22, 2011, 08:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_great_lemon

As you guys know I am in the process of revamping my rig to trey-like effects.  I say trey-like because I know with my budget, my current gear, and my lack of Jedi-ness (and apparently my overuse of hyphens...) I know I won't actually be able to sound all that close to him, but nonetheless the search is on....

I've narrowed it down to a few key choices as far as Ross clones go because unfortunately a real Ross is a bit too much at this point:

1. Analogman 3 Knober- you guys don't seem to fond of these for some reason, yet a lot of other guys on some other forums really like them. Care to elaborate?
2. Keeley 2 Knob Comp- Only heard positive things about it and it's the same price as the Analogman. How do you like yours Walker/ IamWilson?
3. Cmatmods 3 knob or 4 knob- Anybody ever played one of these? I can't seem to find all that many reviews
4. Barber Tone Press- The concept is totally cool, it's on the cheaper side, and as with the Keeley I've only heard positive things

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks guys
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

dabomb

From everything I heard I like the BOSS CS2 (not CS3) ... Check it out on YouTube. I think it stands up great against these other Ross Clones.

With that said, I'm looking for one on Craigslist so if you see one...IT'S MINE!!!

MomaDan

The Analogman Bi-comp also has a great reputation. Give it a look
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

fulltone1989

Quote from: the_great_lemon on December 22, 2011, 08:26:43 PM
As you guys know I am in the process of revamping my rig to trey-like effects.  I say trey-like because I know with my budget, my current gear, and my lack of Jedi-ness (and apparently my overuse of hyphens...) I know I won't actually be able to sound all that close to him, but nonetheless the search is on....

I've narrowed it down to a few key choices as far as Ross clones go because unfortunately a real Ross is a bit too much at this point:

1. Analogman 3 Knober- you guys don't seem to fond of these for some reason, yet a lot of other guys on some other forums really like them. Care to elaborate?
2. Keeley 2 Knob Comp- Only heard positive things about it and it's the same price as the Analogman. How do you like yours Walker?
3. Cmatmods 3 knob or 4 knob- Anybody ever played one of these? I can't seem to find all that many reviews
4. Barber Tone Press- The concept is totally cool, it's on the cheaper side, and as with the Keeley I've only heard positive things

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks guys

In this case I'd definitely buy used, you can get either the Keeley or the Analogman in the $150 range if you look hard, they're definitely out there though. Barber effects kick a** in general and the Tone Press is pretty popular over on TGP
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

IamWILSON

TGL-  I really really love my Keeley 2 knob, mine is really old though and a little different from the one's that Robert is making these days.  However I don't think that should mean the quality is any better or worse than his more current production, I think he's probably just made more adjustments in the design to get it to where he wants it to be.  I have come across a MIA Ross and MIT Ross in the last couple months and the Keeley beats them both in transparency and reliability.  However there really is something about the tone of the original MIA Ross Compressor that is like no other.  Even if I decide to keep this USA Ross Comp that I currently have, there is no way I'll sell my Keeley because I know I would regret it.  Long story short, if you think you can swing the $300+ to get a Ross, get one.  And rest assured if you decide it's not for you, you can sell it and get your money back anyway.  But if you can swing $150 or so for the Keeley 2 knob (used) I would have to say that is the best value. 
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

sour d

The keeley was too transparent for me. Not enough squish. Walker reviewed a bunch of comps not too long ago if you want to search out that thread. I have a mit ross for sale on ebay right now for $175.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

IamWILSON

I know what you mean soud d!  I am really torn between going with the Ross or the Keeley, I like them both for very different reasons.  The Ross just makes a little too much noise for my liking when I'm not making music.  If I can squish the Keeley and Ross into 1 pedal and take what I like of each I think I would soil myself! 

Also, pretty funny about the MIT Ross on Ebay because I saw that the other day and wondered if it was a StrangeDesigner's listing because of the mention of Trey.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Happyorange27

Quote from: IamWILSON on December 23, 2011, 01:12:23 AM
  The Ross just makes a little too much noise for my liking when I'm not making music. 
Bonepicker amps makes the Tight Squeeze compressor and it has an internal downward expander (or noise gate) that kicks in when the sustain knob is set high.  This automatically quiets down that typical noise you get when using high ratios.  Sounds sweet right?  Only good luck getting ahold of that dude.  I've been trying to get mine for almost a year.

Anyway, I have an adjustable noise gate in my currently compressor.  Even with my TS-9 on full gain, my gate keeps the signal dead quiet when I'm not playing a note.  If anyone has noise issues, I suggest even a single noise gate pedal right infront of your compressor.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Happyorange27

Also for what it's worth, Cmatmods told me his circuit is a true copy of the Ross.  I got Mike Shubin to buy one and he loves it.  Who is Mike Shubin you ask?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6IsegwGyxY&feature=BFa&list=PL464EAC500BE0D7C9&lf=plcp
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

patrickstefanski

I have an Analog man Bi-Comp which I thought was the greatest thing ever.

...until I got my grey Ross.

Nothing touches it.
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

the_great_lemon

Quote from: patrickstefanski on December 23, 2011, 11:22:48 AM

...until I got my grey Ross.

Nothing touches it.

I'm sure! My only concern is the noise that an old unit like that could produce as a byproduct, especially if it's after overdrive pedals. How noisy is yours? Compared to the Analogman?

Also, considering I have never played with a real compressor before (only a boss cs-3 *gag*) I am looking for one to help maintain the dynamics that I've come to know and love. Or, is that just a matter of setting the sustain/compression control lower?
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper

picture_of_nectar

Analogman was noisier then my Grey Ross. Any compressor will add some noise.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

IamWILSON

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on December 23, 2011, 04:25:13 PM
Analogman was noisier then my Grey Ross. Any compressor will add some noise.
My Keeley hardly adds any noise.  I usually have the sustain set to around 9-10 o'clock and level around 1 or 2.  Also, it's in my chain right after 2 ts9s (and my "always on" ts9 is set with level dimed).  Hence why I really like it that it runs them very quietly.

the_great_lemon

So, as it turns out I was able to get a great deal on an MIA Ross Compressor from a good friend of mine! ;D  What's even better is I can try before I buy.  I'm heading over tonight; I'll report back later with my findings or what I'm expecting to do, to buy.

So if I were to spill the cash, what kind of power adapter should I use from my PP2?  Any helpful tips from any Ross owners?

IamWILSON

Quote from: the_great_lemon on December 29, 2011, 04:39:00 PM
So, as it turns out I was able to get a great deal on an MIA Ross Compressor from a good friend of mine! ;D  What's even better is I can try before I buy.  I'm heading over tonight; I'll report back later with my findings or what I'm expecting to do, to buy.

So if I were to spill the cash, what kind of power adapter should I use from my PP2?  Any helpful tips from any Ross owners?
You indeed are a very lucky lemon!  I'm currently running mine by PP2 with the battery clip adaptor because I'm also running an original ts-808 w/ the little 3.5mm plug??? (the one that looks like the 1/8" size power from old adaptors).  If you have all the original power cables that came w/ the PP2 you should have 1 of the battery contacts and 1 of the smaller plugs as well.  Good luck lemon... I'm sure you'll like it, especially if the price is right!