Trey's KOA Hard Truckers Sister Cab

Started by strangedesign, June 06, 2007, 08:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strangedesign

Well, this past weekend while in Atlanata for Outformation I got to hang out with Glenn from the Hard Truckers. Brian Brown had built some cables for me and he delivered them to my friends house. He also borught over the sister cab of Trey's. This thing is sooo nice. I didn;t realize but KOA is an endangered wood and only comes from Hawaii. You are not alowed to cut any down. You can only use it if you find it on the ground. Anyway... The Hard Truckers found a piece of KOA in the back of a shop that had been there for 75 years. They made 3 cabs out of it. 1st one they sold to someone in California. The 2nd Trey bought. Glenn said Trey wanted the last one to match but getting arrested got in the way. After I heard that story I had to buy it. Glenn gave me a great deal and now I have Trey's sister cab  :D
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Walker done done

Dude with a story like that you GOTTA post some pics!  Good find!
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

strangedesign

I am in Charlotte fo rthe next 10 days but as soon as I get back I will post some pics of it. Her eis the link to treys
http://www.strangedesign.org/rigs/details.asp?artistID=3&equipmentID=33

www.strangedesign.org

strangedesign

So here is my rig including Trey's sister cab.

The signal path is as follows:

This is Trey's sister cab. 3 cabs were made from a piece of 75 year old KOA. One went to a guy in San Fran. Trey got the next one and I got the last one.

Notice the Hand Made speaker cable Brian made for connecting the cab to the amp. Just like trey's my cab is loaded with Two 12" Tone Tubby Alnico Hempcone Speakers.

www.strangedesign.org

Walker done done

Dude!  Sick set-up.....where do you live?  I wanna come over and play on that thing when my custom gets here!  Are you in a band?  God I hope so with all that gear!

PS - what type of cables are you using to connect the pedals?  Those look pretty diesel.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

strangedesign

I'm in Birmingham, AL. I haven't played with anyone in almost 4 years. I travel about 90% of the time for my job and only make it home a couple of weekends a month. The cables with the blue ends are Live Wire Advantages series. The cables with the green ends are from Brian Brown. I will eventually replace all the Live Wire with Brian's.

www.strangedesign.org

Walker done done

Bummer....too far from Portland to get together for a jam.

And btw - that cab is fucking gorgeous, man.  Congrats on getting it again, sooooo pretty....I bet she sounds like a bird.  Let me know if you ever get rid of any of your gear - I'd be happy to take any of it off your hands!  :D

Being that the 'Doc replica is going to be here in a month, I don't think I'll be purchasing anything in the near future, but I hope to pick up one of those HT cabs too someday.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

strangedesign

Built a pedal board this weekend. Makes everything musch eaiser to access. I used 3/4\" particle board and 2x2's to brace the riser. The riser is not connected to the main board. It is heavy enough that it does not move. This also allows me to make different risers to accomodate more or less pedals or not use a riser at all.

www.strangedesign.org

Walker done done

Good work.  Looks a lot neater, too.  What did you use for the covering?  A friend of mine had a buddy of his build one for him that has all the electronics on the inside, which is pretty sweet, and I've always wanted a hand-made one so I could customize it a little more than the one I have now but just haven't gotten around to it yet.  Maybe someday.  

I'll try to remember to snap some pics of my gear when I get home this week (I work 2 hours away from home/gone 5 days a week).

So you say you travel a lot too?  Ever make your way up to Maine?  If so, get in touch, maybe we can jam!

Loop 3 Boomerang+

strangedesign

Quote from: \"shakedown_04092\"Good work.  Looks a lot neater, too.  What did you use for the covering?  A friend of mine had a buddy of his build one for him that has all the electronics on the inside, which is pretty sweet, and I've always wanted a hand-made one so I could customize it a little more than the one I have now but just haven't gotten around to it yet.  Maybe someday.  

I'll try to remember to snap some pics of my gear when I get home this week (I work 2 hours away from home/gone 5 days a week).

So you say you travel a lot too?  Ever make your way up to Maine?  If so, get in touch, maybe we can jam!
For the covering I used some all purpose carpet that I found in the automotive section at Walmart. It is almost identical to the covering on the Peavey monitor wedges I have. I attached it with a can a of spray adhesive.

I do work out of town most every week. I mainly work in Charlotte and Dever. I occasionally get up to Manhattan but that's about it.

www.strangedesign.org

Walker done done

Hey Scott, quick question:

Do you know if Trey uses batteries for all of his floor pedals?  The reason I ask is because in all the pics I've seen I don't see any power suppling them, so I assume he just uses 9volts for all of them and switches them out every show or whatever?  Thanks.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

strangedesign

Quote from: \"shakedown_04092\"Hey Scott, quick question:

Do you know if Trey uses batteries for all of his floor pedals?  The reason I ask is because in all the pics I've seen I don't see any power suppling them, so I assume he just uses 9volts for all of them and switches them out every show or whatever?  Thanks.
He has AC power built into the TS9/Wha board and power is wired to both TS9's and Wha. You can see the power cables coming out of the back of the TS9's in this pic:

You can see the AC power next to the clock on the board in this pic.

www.strangedesign.org

strangedesign

Well, I boxed up both my TS9's today and sending them off to AnalogMan tomorrow for the TS9/808/Silver Mod's. Can't wait!!!

www.strangedesign.org

strangedesign

The Headrush is a delay with 3 modes: Tape Echo, Normal Echo, and Loop Recording. I mainly use the normal echo. It will also allow me to tap in the delay time. It will also do loops up to about 30 sec. and you can record infinite layers on the original loop. You can also play normal over the loops you have created. Pretty much like the boomerang. Once of the coolest features it has (and I don't use it) is the tape echo. The Tape Echo function is designed to simulate a 4 head analog tape delay. Each head has its own output so that you can send multiple signals from the Headrush to multiple amps or mixer channels. There is a Head-Gap dial where you can sync up the delay times of the heads or stagger them. When they are staggered and you use the individual head outputs, you get some cool quadraphonic echo. Maximum delay time in the Tape Echo mode is only 5.9 seconds which kind of sucks but I'm not complaining. Activation and setting of delay time is performed in the same manner as in the Normal Delay mode. There is a HF Damp function that allows you to dampen the frequency of the delay feedback. This is supposedly designed to replicate the lo-fi qualities of the old analog tape delays. It may be a useful tool but the sound quality is too good to be mistaken for old tape heads.

My OC-2 isn't moded. I put it in a true bypass loop to see if there was any difference and I couldn't tell teh differnece. I thought about sending it to AnalogMan. He said he will mod any BOSS effect but I really like the sound I get out of it.

www.strangedesign.org

strangedesign

Yep, it's got two 16 ohm Alnicos. The headrush was around $225. I got it 8-10 years ago. They have a E-2 out now.

I want one mopre pedal and I'm through buying. I want a chorus pedal. I have been looking at AnalogMan's. I would probably get the expression pedal jack installed.
http://www.buyanalogman.com/Standard_Chorus_p/am-standard-chorus.htm

I also want to upgrade my small stone phaser. I have the cheap Russian made one. From what I read it was made as cheap as possible. Anak\\logMan said he won;t tuch them. He does sell new moded SmallStone Phasers though. http://www.buyanalogman.com/product_p/eh%20small%20stone%20with%20mod.htm

My main complaint is mine looses volume when turned on. AnalogMan's mod sets the volume the same, and includes an internal trim pot so you can set the volume just where you want it. He also put a second trim pot inside to control the FEEDBACK when you have the COLOR switch up. If left alone, the pedal will feedback and whistle when the volume is increased. This allows reducing the feedback to keep the sound OK. It also allows you to make the COLOR UP sound closer to the sound of the COLOR DOWN sound if you don't like it to be so crazy. Or if you want the whistling feedback you can dial some in. I would also probably get him to add the Small Stone Exp Pedal Control Jack.

www.strangedesign.org