Looking for a decent, but cheap acoustic

Started by TheSeeker, April 01, 2014, 04:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSeeker

Any suggestions?  I have about $300-$400 to drop on an acoustic.  I basically just need it to record some rhythm tracks....No Olson, don't even think about it  ;)
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

Heady Jam Fan

Aw man, you knew what I was gonna suggest ;)

Have you ever tried an Alvarez guitar? I've owned a few over the years and always thought they were incredible acoustic guitars for the price - nice easy action, sweet tone, not as warm as some higher-end acoustics, but if you have bass or drums in your recording you don't want that extra low end on your acoustic anyway.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

I'd also check out Seagulls too. My store carries them and although we've had to send some back over the years for neck resets (free for us and first owner, warranty service is good) Made by our buddies in Quebec using Canadian wood which is kind of cool too. They make a mini jumbo CW that's very comfy. At that price point, almost 100% of the guitars will be laminates. I'd also suggest a Simon & Patrick, kind of Canadian Martins. Better quality control and all solid woods. Great mic & piezo pickups. Love mine, but that will be between $500-$700.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

No Nice Guy

Yamaha's are nice.  I also went into Guitar Center and just played with a few, it's the best way.  Some with nice finishes and okay sounds were the Yamahas, Fenders, and Lunas (best finishes by far).
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Poster

The absolute best cheaper acoustic is an Epiphone Masterbuilt. Any of them. I'm pretty snooty too... If they are setup properly, hard to beat.

TheSeeker

Any love for the cheaper Martin guitars?  That Epiphone looks pretty nice...I might have to ride up to GC and check one out if they have any.  It is a little out of my price range though.
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

Buffered

Quote from: TheSeeker on April 02, 2014, 12:11:51 PM
Any love for the cheaper Martin guitars?  That Epiphone looks pretty nice...I might have to ride up to GC and check one out if they have any.  It is a little out of my price range though.

We carry Martin too and those are good intermediate guitars, with HPL sides though. They start with a MAP of around $600 IIRC though for a bare bones model.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation