Light

Started by Walker done done, August 08, 2009, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

Taken from Emil's site.  I actually haven't played through this one yet so I can't confirm that it's accurate:

Light
Phish

B -> E (A bunch of times. If you know the song you know what I mean.)

B               F#
I can't see the light between
Dbm       E
me and my mind
     B        F#
I can feel the memories
Dbm        E
fall---- behind
       B                E
And the light is growing brighter now
       B                E
B         E         F#m           E
I see the future is less and less there
       B        G#m             F#
and the past has vanished in the air
       F#m         E
and I'm left in the now
       F#m     E
with a wondrous glow
 Dbm             B
I think I'm still me
   D
but how------
         A
would you know------
E   A   D  A
B               F#
Dbm       E
me and my mind
     B        F#
I can feel the memories
Dbm        E
fall---- behind
       B                E
       B                E
B              E    
It takes a few moments
F#m          E
of whirling around
          B            G#m       F#
'till your feet finally leave the ground
   F#m         E
and fending off fears
   F#m         E
and heeding the call
   Dbm     B
and finally waiting
   D
for nothing-------
  A
at all--------
E   A   D  A
B               F#
Dbm       E
me and my mind
     B        F#
I can feel the memories
Dbm        E
fall---- behind
       B                E
       B                E
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

jadirusso

I was messing with this song today and Emil's is just a touch off. This is what I hear from the live performances. Emil's had Dbm or F#m in places where it should have been an A.

B -> E
B               F#
A       E
me and my mind
      B        F#
I can feel the memories
A        E
fall---- behind
        B                E
        B                E
B         E         A           E
        B        G#m             F#
        A         E
and I'm left in the now
        A        G#m
with a wondrous glow
  Dbm             B
I think I'm still me
    D
but how------
          A
would you know------
E   A   D  A

B               F#
A       E
me and my mind
      B        F#
I can feel the memories
A        E
fall---- behind
        B                E
        B                E
B              E     
It takes a few moments
A          E
of whirling around
           B            G#m       F#
    A         E
and fending off fears
    A         G#m
and hearing the call
    Dbm     B
and finally waiting
    D
for nothing-------
   A
at all--------
E   A   D  A
B               F#
A       E
me and my mind
      B        F#
I can feel the memories
A        E
fall---- behind
        B                E
        B                E

Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

Walker done done

Aiight so I worked this one through a little further and added the intro to the solo at the end as well.  Jadirusso (or anyone else for that matter) let me know what you think.

Light
Phish

Intro: B -> E

Chorus:
B               F#            C#m       E
I can't see the light between me and my mind
      B        F#       A          E
I can feel the memories fall---- behind
        B                E
        B                E

Verse 1:
B         E         F#m           E
        B        G#m             F#
        F#m         E
and I'm left in the now
        F#m     E
with a wondrous glow
  C#m             B
I think I'm still me
    D
but how------
          A
would you know------

Verse ending: E   A   D  A

Repeat Chorus

Verse 2:
B              E          F#m       E
It takes a few moments of whirling around
           B            G#m       F#
    F#m         E
and fending off fears
    F#m         E
and heeding the call
    C#m     B
and finally waiting
    D
for nothing-------
   A
at all--------

Verse ending: E   A   D  A

Repeat Chorus

Repeat:
        B                E
And the light is growing brighter now...

The backup vocals are in 2 sections (below). 
Fish sings #1, Mike/Page sing #2, while Trey sings the main vamp above.
The chords below are there to illustrate "where" the words fall in relation to the
chords above...hope it makes sense.

E                                              B           
1:(Fantasies unfiltered)            2:(Purify our soul)
   E                                                   B
1:(Obstacles are stepping stones)   2:(Guide us to our goal)

Light/intro to solo:

e ----------------------------------------------------
B ---16-17-19---16-17-19---16-17-19---16-17-19--------
G ----------------------------------------------------
D ----------------------------------------------------
A ----------------------------------------------------
E ----------------------------------------------------

e ----------------------------------------------------
B ---16-17-19---16-17-19------------------------------
G -------------------------18b20—18b20---16-----------
D ----------------------------------------------------
A ----------------------------------------------------
E ----------------------------------------------------
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

jadirusso

Cool Walker.. I'll check it out when I get home to a guitar. I'll check out your Show of Life updates too..
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185

jadirusso

I listened to two copies of this song and I think the chords are pretty accurate on the one I updated.. now the voicing of the A chord in spots is not an A barre chord. It's more like below. The start of the lead you have tab'd looks good.

--
--
--
Joe

Walker done done

Quote from: jadirusso on November 16, 2010, 08:29:01 PM
I listened to two copies of this song and I think the chords are pretty accurate on the one I updated.. now the voicing of the A chord in spots is not an A barre chord. It's more like below. The start of the lead you have tab'd looks good.

--
--
--

Are you referring to that C#m in the beginning that I added?  I think that's right - play along to it, then turn it off and play along and sing along to it yourself...

When he hits the "me" (in the "me and my mind") part it's a definite difference from the next A chord (where he sings "fall).  There's only really 1 note difference between that A and the C#m, but I think that's exactly it...it's a slight difference.

Can we get someone else to chime in here?

Loop 3 Boomerang+

jadirusso

Yeah the C#m is what I'm refering to.. Also what you have as F#m in Verse 1 (in three different places).. I'll definitely listen again and see

One of the versions I was listening to last night was a youtube video and I didn't really see a C#m but it wasn't a great shot at that point.
Perhaps the difference is just a different voicing of the A chord?  maybe the first one is like the voicing I tab'd and the second one is a different voicing?

Anyway I'll check it again.
Joe

jadirusso

Walker I agree with you that on some live versions it seems as though Trey sometimes doesn't play a chord there or something and it sounds like it'd be different than the A that comes later but I did just listen to the album version and it sounds like an A to me.. sounds to me like this voicing..

---

Joe

Walker done done

LOL we need another opinion...someone else chime in here!  Please =)

Loop 3 Boomerang+

jadirusso

hehe yeah I mean it's not that big of a deal.. it's only off by one note. I'm just telling you what I hear..
Joe

jadirusso

well I did finally find one youtube video where you can kind of see what he's playing.granted he does screw up some other parts.. it's an hd vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_lpQqEGkYQ
Joe

IamWILSON

I think you're both pretty right about this...its basically "6 of 1, half dozen of the other"

I just figured it out using the Greek Light and on the first go round you can hear Trey play the A Maj triad, then on the second time through the verse he plays C#m.  The C#m just acts as an AMaj7 chord, if Mike is playing A, but at the same time, sometimes I could swear I hear Mike play C#, so it kinda sounds like it goes both ways to me. 

Anyway, good work gentlemen.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).