Summer of 89'

Started by bripple3, September 13, 2010, 01:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bripple3

OK, so I know I am going to get a toooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnn of shit for this, but I somewhat like Summer of 89'. Trey is as talented as they come and can write whatever the hell he wants. Could  give me some chords, tabs, anything? it would be greatly appreciated! I know it will be very hard for some people to read this, but all our dislike/likes are subjective. Thanks phriends!

Walker done done

Quote from: bripple3 on September 13, 2010, 01:03:46 AM
OK, so I know I am going to get a toooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnn of shit for this, but I somewhat like Summer of 89'. Trey is as talented as they come and can write whatever the hell he wants. Could  give me some chords, tabs, anything? it would be greatly appreciated! I know it will be very hard for some people to read this, but all our dislike/likes are subjective. Thanks phriends!

If I get some time next week I'll try and remember to sit down and tab it out.  Feel free to remind me if I forget.  I know Trey is using a capo (can't remember where) up until the jam at the end, where he whips it off.

I actually like this song too; yeah it's a little mushy but who gives a fuck.  I think it'll strickly be a summertime song, and not one that'll make it into the rotation too often, so it's cool.  I love the part where it quiets down in the middle, followed by the line "Glad to find any time alone...and it's summer, once again" - just hearing that (twice, actually) this summer while seeing the band I once wondered if I'd ever get the joy of seeing again, was totally awesome.  Brought me back to MY first shows, the craziness of it all, seeing them for the first time with my best friends up at the Great Went....man, those were the days.  Great memories.  And I think that's why I appreciate this song - for Trey, it's a memory song.  That thread wove through to me and brought back my memories, too.  It's nice to hear his reflection on things. 
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Walker done done

Here are the lyrics, from Phish.com:

We danced all night
And swam at dawn
In the summer of '89
And life stretched out
Like a rolling lawn
In the summer of '89

I see you standing there
In that dress you used to wear
You stole my heart
But I didn't mind
In the summer of '89

Brazilian music on the stereo
We hiked the Long Trail to a spring
I took blades of grass
And I wove you a ring

Our eyes were bright
But our smiles were worn
In the summer of '95
On the road
When our first was born
In the summer of '95

We'd sing to put her down
As the bus rolled out of town
We were driving blind
No clue where we'd arrive
In the summer of '95

Life changes, time presses on
It seems each year goes faster than the last
It's not that I don't like the way things are
But lately time just drives me right back to the past.

Glad to find any time alone
And it's summer once again
The days are full
But they're not our own
Remember our life back then

We shared one small room
And a bed and a chair
I closed my eyes
You touch my hand
You smile
And I'm there

You're the same girl I loved back then
For now and all time
You'll be that girl of mine
In the summer of '89

And we danced all night
And we danced all night

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Walker done done

Alright this is all yer gettin'.  I'm not saying it's perfect by any means, but it's a start.  Fairly easy song; one part I didn't spend any time on was after that 2nd interlude, so koko beware:

Summer Of '89
Phish

Verse:
   G          D
We danced all night
    Em      C
And swam at dawn
       G         D      G
In the summer of eighty nine
    G               D
Our lives stretched out
       Em      C
Like a rolling lawn
       G         D      G

Em        D        G
I see you standing there
Em      D                 G
In that dress you used to wear
    G        D
You stole my heart
Em           C
But I didn't mind
       G         D      G

Bridge:
C                      G
Brazilian music on the stereo
C                            G
We hiked the long trail to a spring
C      G     
I took blades of grass
G   D            G
And I wove you a ring

[Interlude over first half of verse]

Our eyes were bright
But our smiles were worn
In the summer of '95
On the road
When our first was born
In the summer of '95

We'd sing to put her down
As the bus rolled out of town
We were driving blind
No clue where we'd arrive
In the summer of '95

Bridge:
Life changes, time presses on
It seems each year goes faster than the last
No, it's not that I don't like the way things are
But lately time just drives me right back to the past

[Interlude over first half of verse; then:]

Am7

D D   D > Dsus4 > D D > Dsus4 > D D > Dsus4 > D

G (quiet)        D
Glad to find any time alone
         Em           C
And it's summer once again
G          D
The days unfold
Em                  C
But they're not our own
G       D              G
Remember our life back then

Em        D         G
We shared one small room
Em    D         G
And a bed and a chair
G          D
I close my eyes
Em           C
You touch my hand
G           D       G
You smile...and I'm there

C                      G
You're the same girl I loved back then...

G           D
For now and all time
       Em              C
You'll be that girl of mine
         G         D      C
From the summer of eighty nine

G  D  (then Dsus > G)

(there's a slight walk-down of sorts in that D chord that heads back to the G...just lift your finger off the high E string and allow it to ring before hitting the G.  Listen to a copy for reference.)

G          D
And we danced all night
And we danced all night

Loop 3 Boomerang+