Trey's CowPhunk Chords?

Started by SimpleHood, February 28, 2009, 06:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimpleHood

Hello,
Im new to these forums but play guitar a lot...
What are those chords that trey uses with the wah in 97, Just like during the breakdowns when he goes back and forth between two chords?
I don't know that much about trey's style or the chords he uses a lot and would LOVE it if someone could explain or tab me out the chords.
I'm sure that you know which ones im talking about but if you don't then take the 12/29/97 tube or 7/22/97 walnut creek mike's or basically any other late 97 jam.

Thanks so much.
Midtown1991@yahoo.com is the email if you need it.

Stiles12

What's going on man,
you opened a can of worms my friend..I am jamming with some guys right now that love funk and it makes it fun to throw some of these lines down

First before i get into it, make sure you are playing your funk jams with "Two handed Rhythm" just like a piano player would. your picking and and fretting hand are equally important to really funk these things out.

chords that trey plays in the Tube from 12/29/97 look like this

An Am at the 5th fret and add the 9th (these are just some chord structures, you're going to have to get the pull offs and timing from practice, also a good way to create your own funk rhythms is to lay down the flat am and use your pinky to hit notes that you know are in the scale, mess around you will find some cool shit)

---5---7---5
---5---5---5
---5---5---5
---7---7---7 these notes are not needed but trey uses them "at times" to give his funk chords some bass...
--------------
--------------

for the most part he will just play the Am, he will just add on the ninth once in a while to change it up. sometimes he will start with the ninth and pull off to the Am and sometimes he will start with the Am and add 9

In that tube it breaks down to just trey noodling out those funk chords
the structure for these chords look like this

Em6   E5/B    Bm
--12---------------7
--12------12------7
--12-------9-------7
--11-------9--------
----------------------
----------------------

The E5/B chord is only used when it is just trey on his funk solo.... he just goes back and forth between the Em6 and the Bm for a lot of the jam.... Later he moves it back down to the Am again and just uses his pinky to do some pull offs to make it sound cool. He will switch it up on you though, sometimes he will play the last part in Am and sometimes he will play it as a Am/C

Sorry for the long post... also sorry if it is confusing... I hate using tab, becuase I cant show you the rhythms and timings of things, It makes sense to me right now becuase I hear it a certain way, but you might be reading it differently, Rest assure these are the chords, all you have to do is listen and time it out... but anyway that should at least get the ball rolling on your 12/29/97 tube jam.

Most guys on here play a lot, and could help you out.... Listen to Posternutbags song "Heart restart" (Shout out), he uses a lot of these techniques and chord structures in that song

my favorite funk jams are when trey plays a minor to a 9th chord, like in YEM 7/26/98... but i am not getting into that now  :D

Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

mcgrupperton

These I find work well for the crazy wah phunkness. This will be in A just for example. These are my favorite for the cowphunk.

-5--5-         this is another one 97 ish i         -7-     and this    -15--14-
-8--7-                                                      -5-                    -13--13-     
-5--5-                                                      -5-                    -12--12-
-5--5-                                                      -5-                    -14--14-
-7--7-                                                      -x-                    -12--12-
-5--5-                                                      -x-                    -----------

mcgrupperton

harrywood

im a big fan of am7 to D7(aka am6) in the fifth position (like in ghost), btw check out the live 11 ghost for some filthy funk ambiance. Stiles has a tremendously good point to guide the funk... its all about using both your right and left hand. may i add start playing on the up on frets. this might allow you to control the the tone and time better with your fretting hand. That is where I enjoy milking the funk from anyway.
This is Bruce...