From W/D/W to mono

Started by Heady Jam Fan, April 14, 2012, 02:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

Posted this at TGP, figured I would share here too!

Last night, I switched my rig from W/D/W back to mono just to try it out (and cuz I am broke and kinda wanted to sell off most of my wet section ;) ).

Benefits:

I can crank my tube amp more since the other 50% of amplitude isn't coming from my PA speakers.

Less gear, less money invested, less stuff to carry around if I gig/jam (and want to use the same rig I practice on).

Kind of a simpler sound, which was kind of satisfying in a weird way... I think I am a minimalist with lofty ideas, which often lead to complexity... I like the classic tones though.

Cons:

I lost that huge sound of stereo wet, and the clarity of only having dry effects on one speaker.

My sound is more dependent on precise settings on my wet effects; in W/D/W with an echo delay set at different times on different sides, the specific time set didn't feel off if it didn't match the songs rhythm, now I notice it more.

Reverb sounds terrible even on a slightly overdriven Fender, completely unusable. 

I also had more EQ control over the wet effects in a w/d/w rig, I had it set really dark and in the background, which I like (felt, not heard). Now, sometimes even a relatively dark delay setting sounds more "in your face" or present.

Just thought I would share!

Not sure what I will do, if I go back to mono for money and simplicity, I will have to put an effect loop in my old ('65) Bassman if I want to use the amp's overdrive and reverb at the same time (which is the only amp-like, transparent OD I have / really love and I use it for classic rock and blues, though if I play Jam, my dirt comes from Tube Screamers).
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

ShockedAndPersuaded

Several months ago I was using my MK III as a power amp for my effects.  I was coming out of the Direct Out from my THD HotPlate on my DR clone and going to all my wet effects and then to the Boogie. One day the Boogie died and I had considered getting one of the Electro-Harmonix 44 Magnum pedals.  It's basiclly a solid state power amp in a foot pedal.  (then my A.D.D. kicked in and I went with a completely diferent amp set up) It seems to be a pretty cost effective method and is WAY easier to tote around.  All you need is an extension cab or divide your current cab.  One side dry one side wet.  I'm with you on the sound of the effects being so much better when run in W/D/W.  I know this idea isn't the same set up but it's similar and a lot easier.  I'm assuming your amp has some sort of Line Out?  Sorry for the randomness.  Woke up this morning, there was stay kind all over my bed.  ;D
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

Heady Jam Fan

Lol - I know what you are saying!

I have a line out after my power section with a volume knob (which I tend to keep maxed anyway, but this setup passes the complete tone of the amp onto the wet section, including volume changes). It runs to an H&K Red Box speaker sim>modfactor set to killdry in stereo>Flashback Echo toneprint>Hardwire RV7>2 powered PA speakers.

The powered PA speakers plus the Red Box is a trade off to using 2 cabs and one or two power amps (one if the effects can handle that level, two if the power amps have to be after them). I suspect cabs might sound better since you can choose the enclosure and speakers, but the Red Box isn't bad when I can also use the EQ on my PA speakers. If I did it again, I might actually go with solid state guitar amps, mostly cuz the Red Box introduces a little noise.

I have seen the 44mag though and it looks cool.

I just thought this would be an interesting thought to post since I don't see threads often going from W/D/W to mono. One thing I think would be cool for a W/D/W is adding a mixer so that the modulation might be slightly more centered while the delay and reverb are hard-panned. When I was listening to a recent recording of my rig in W/D/W (micing the dry and running the wet to the interface rather than to the PA speakers), I felt like the modulation was panned too hard and mixed with the delay more than I wanted; a slightly more center-focused guitar tone while still maintaining some of the width provided from a stereo spread chorus (no audible modulation) and having the delay and verb really wide would probably sound best.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9