Looks like a hunk of koa to me

Started by Poster, June 11, 2012, 10:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poster

Poster

3 inch thick hunk of hollow koa ^ bumpty bump bump

Poster

she weighs in about 36-37 pounds. out of all the guitars I had made, shes the only one I kept, giving away the other protos to some of my session player pals in NOLA / Memphis. Yes for free, sans shipping, as I thought I was running this luthiers business, but he quit making stuff, starting just growing weed instead. Norcal lifestyle not conducive to a startup biz

Heady Jam Fan

Lol, not conductive, and not an easy job either necessarily.

That is ridiculously heavy, I wouldn't be able to stand and play that for more than a few songs I don't think. One of the reasons I sold my Les Paul and that was only 9lbs!

That neck joint looks legit though, that's always one of the first things I look at on a guitar.

What is the finish - stain than oil? Or is that like lacquer or nitrocellulose?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Poster

it really isnt as bad as youd think, its very balanced somehow. i also workout a bunch. I used to be big on ultra light guitars, but once you play out of a tree trunk there is no going back. It sounds incredible comparative to all the other guitars Ive had. You could also smash in a big foot skull with it and continue playing with no worries

Poster

needless to say that koa was not really obtained through authorized channels. its nearly impossible to get a piece that big/solid with a sick figure. neck joint was hand sanded down from a huge knob, and its like dolphin pussy now. german stainless fret wire, un stained ebony neck (also nearly impossible to obtain) combine into a sexual force of nature. and that neck wood / back plate is a blue vermont maple native to the poultney area where I used to live.

solid brass shaft pots, torres woman cap, hand made "magic knobs" with space marbles and more unstained ebony, hand wound pickups with oversized buttons for added complexity with my finger picking style. really neat.

i had a lot of those pups made for the protos, and i didnt like the other sets, these had some sort of mojo.

Heady Jam Fan

Haha, I'll request a Dolphin Pussy neck joint on my next build.

I don't workout, but I'm not a very small dude either. The Les Paul was terribly balanced though (which is why I have a headless guitar as well). I am not surprised it is balanced with such a heavy body honestly - the heavier the body the less likely the headstock is to cause it to slip - my headless has a steel hartail bridge (which weighs about 3 lbs itself) that keeps the body perfectly in place.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Poster

its really because there is sand in the epoxy around the graphite reinforcements. kinda like a japanese sushi knife handle. my idea. just wait in a week some queenie will be on ebay selling sandy necks. lol and i say go for it, that was incredibly difficult to workout. apparently you only get a minute to mix the shit in before things harden, its insane. but, the result is a very balanced, nearly indestructible neck, that generally only fluctuates between two spots on the truss. making maintenance a breeze.

its the culmination of many years of research and I love her. And not just because I wanted to love it, because I bred a whole family of guitars, and picked the sexiest of the litter. Ill ask Shane and Freeman if they can up pics of the others ones. Very very similar on the outside, but it whats inside that counts! (go fuck a nice fat girl)

Heady Jam Fan

Lol, nice, never thought about sand/epoxy. The headless I have has a graphite neck and I know the luthier who built the body does some sort of graphite reinforcement inside his wooden necks on either side of the truss rod. I think it is like graphite tubing or something, not sure. Graphite is durable as hell for something like that unless it gets too hot, or at least for the compound in my neck, I know I can't leave it in a hot car trunk (if not for the wood and metal anyway).

Poster

yeah leaving anything made out of wood in a car trunk is a sure fire way to fuck shit up. but really, righty tighty lefty lucy, learn your baby, shell play for you if you stroke her right, from the mountains to the seashore.

Heady Jam Fan

Thats true, I mean, an MIM Strat can sound great, but won't touch my Artinger, the way she touches me back ;)

Never named an instrument, but I was thinking Althea might be alright for her - just gotta settle back, easy Jim, there are things you can replace, others you cannot, I told Althea I am roving son, was born to be a bachelor, Althea told me, Ok, thats fine, now I'm trying to catch her.

And maybe Tela for the Mesa, born in a Vulgar castle of metal heads, shes the jewel of Wilson's foul domain. lol.

Poster

you know what I really want to get into these days, is retrofitting Epiphone es175 copies with the new bendetto ebony tail pieces / bridges. Ive adjusted the poles in those epi pups and they can sound pretty fucking amazing. Iam thinking with new pots, cap, tail, tuners, I could create something seriously funky

and you should call that thing Shiba.

Heady Jam Fan

I've heard good things about those bridges/tailpieces, never had the pleasure of trying one, but I love the one Matt has on my guitar. Its those little things that people overlook in a guitar - the bridge is the gait between the vibrations of the string and the body, a good connection makes a huge differences in getting that resonance going through the whole thing. IMO, that and a neck joint can make or break a guitar, sonically.

Poster

well few know how to ground them properly. I know David at equator couldnt. And not just on mine, I encountered a mini a year or so ago that hummed like a toothless whore.