Looks like a hunk of koa to me

Started by Poster, June 11, 2012, 10:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sour d

" When dry, koa ranges in weight from 2.7 pounds per board foot to 3.5 pounds per board foot. "
Over ten board foot in that guitar. Wow! Thinking about having AO make me a 137 pound strat style guitar from vermont granite. Mortar neck joint. 80 ounce magnets in the pickups. High tension power lines for strings. Should be EPIC!
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Heady Jam Fan

Don't forget to put casters on it.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

sour d

Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Heady Jam Fan

wanna grab my Mesa while your at it? Just 70 more lbs...

NPMD: New Pack Mule Day
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Poster

in all honesty I just know what the shipping weight was, so with case, packaging, box etc, it probably isnt nearly as heavy as I initially said it was. You can definitely do bicep curls with the thing though. Has to be at least 25 pounds.  Might put one of those artinger pressed copper boxes to shield the electronics just for the hell of it, but I havent had any issues yet. Wish I could figure out why this one is more quiet than all of those other hollowbodies I went through? Maybe next time do the super thick back and sides but use regular width top? Could also be something to do with the pups. But still not sick of it yet. Hmm the internal monologue and debate rages on

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Poster on June 15, 2012, 03:57:05 PM
in all honesty I just know what the shipping weight was, so with case, packaging, box etc, it probably isnt nearly as heavy as I initially said it was. You can definitely do bicep curls with the thing though. Has to be at least 25 pounds.  Might put one of those artinger pressed copper boxes to shield the electronics just for the hell of it, but I havent had any issues yet. Wish I could figure out why this one is more quiet than all of those other hollowbodies I went through? Maybe next time do the super thick back and sides but use regular width top? Could also be something to do with the pups. But still not sick of it yet. Hmm the internal monologue and debate rages on

Hmm, I hadn't heard about that copper box... that is a cool idea - is that only for solidbody guitars? I feel like it would take away from a hollowbody.

I was having some noise issues, but they seemed to have dissipated mysteriously (which I am ok with, as long as they dont come back, then I would like to know why). I definitely get more noise when the person who lives in the basement has their tv on, which is right below my rig, probably noise/interference from their tv or stereo. Lately I have been able to run my comp with the sustain at 12 o'clock if I want without excessive noise, though I usually keep it a bit lower. I figured the noise was from my Golden 50's, maybe wiring, but my guitar tech said he doesn't think changing that stuff would make a difference.

Poster

sure, Ill post some clips for the gang.

ill say this about what it sounds like to me, its much more jazzy, gibson archtop sounding when running clean. Those jazzy pups really keep it Elgin Park ish, but with some added sustain. Overdriven is does all the standard stuff a hollowbody does when pushed, but with a biting mix cutting chime on the bridge, the neck sounds like a hot buttered pussy.

Poster

copper box is an old pete townsend trick, reportedly utilized by the great Steve Kimock, artinger can make them, and no they dont do anything but shield your pots from the fholes. Youd need to have him press the box with your guitar there, and he probably couldnt do it unless you have a back plate, which you probably do. why not go for it. its cool and just adds to the durability, and reliability of your guitar.

Heady Jam Fan

Yea, no way to get a copper box in there.

fulltone1989

Quote from: sour d on June 15, 2012, 10:54:28 AM
" When dry, koa ranges in weight from 2.7 pounds per board foot to 3.5 pounds per board foot. "
Over ten board foot in that guitar. Wow! Thinking about having AO make me a 137 pound strat style guitar from vermont granite. Mortar neck joint. 80 ounce magnets in the pickups. High tension power lines for strings. Should be EPIC!

Oh man that things gonna sing!

Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Poster

meh, honestly, if anybody else were out there experimenting Id love to hear it. Seems like just Ive spent more time and effort trying to constantly improve. I dont have millions of mommies money, nor do I have a guitar workshop, but yet the quest for epic tone continues. So yeah, happy to share, but its like "i got this huge koa guitar" - "no you didnt your full of shit" *posts pics, get flamed for having said guitar. There is no win with some of your douches/ but hey, thats ok, maybe one day youll realize how much a pain in the ass it is to fuck with this stuff, and give a guy a break. sack of dicks or not. 

fulltone1989

Quote from: Poster on June 15, 2012, 08:52:43 PM
meh, honestly, if anybody else were out there experimenting Id love to hear it. Seems like just Ive spent more time and effort trying to constantly improve. I dont have millions of mommies money, nor do I have a guitar workshop, but yet the quest for epic tone continues. So yeah, happy to share, but its like "i got this huge koa guitar" - "no you didnt your full of shit" *posts pics, get flamed for having said guitar. There is no win with some of your douches/ but hey, thats ok, maybe one day youll realize how much a pain in the ass it is to fuck with this stuff, and give a guy a break. sack of dicks or not. 

If I remember correctly, you posted pics from the get-go. Sorry if some of us would like to hear how your guitar and amp sound together. There's no win from us because of all the bandwidth you've wasted with your belittling garbage, and from these recent threads nothings changed. My self included, people don't like getting talked to like a bunch of retards, this isn't PT.

I'm sure your signature series FUPA pickups sound wonderful, but it certainly doesn't do anything for us just reading about it. If you don't feel like sharing anymore "info" you've gathered, there's countless other fine folks on this site and others who happily would because we are grateful for it.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

sour d

MomaDan

"It was designed to be similar to a Paul Languedoc, but more durable, without the need for constant tune ups."

:D a 1k guitar thats BETTER than a real Languedoc. Sign me up
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Poster

yup I got a new guitar. very neat semi hollow showmaster with lollers. If anybody wants the hollowbody, its a beast. you can go here to check out sound clips if you want.http://bobmasseygroup.bandcamp.com/album/undertown-bandito

I actually have a decent amount of gear up on the bay now. Getting something more portable. Hate to say it, but combo is in the cards. for shame.

i also corrected those bends on maggie sour D. listening to feedback is good.

back to the hollowbody, if you wanted to, it could be converted to a ebony tailpiece float bridge. Some people swear by um, honestly, Id rather adjust the roller bridge.