Main Menu

Rig Help

Started by gone phishing, June 12, 2012, 07:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiles12

what kind of guitar are you using
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

webephishin

schecter csh-1....its a semi-hollow body
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

fulltone1989

Quote from: webephishin on September 02, 2012, 10:29:48 PM
I figured this post would fall under this category of a thread....could someone give me some tips on how to reduce this nasty, ear-piercing feedback i've been getting ever since i threw in a 2-knob keeley compressor to my rig?  I keep the sustain knob at about 8-9 oclock and the level is at about 3-4 oclock.  I don't know if I'm just standing too close to my amp or if its just the amount of drive i have going when both ts-9's are on.  Even after sustaining a note for too long (an example would be during the long notes in 2001) the high pitched feedback comes in relatively quick.  You can hear when trey plays it that the feedback comes in at a perfect time...could it be because my volume knobs are cranked on my guitar?  Because when I turn those down, I can't get the desired length of sustain out of my notes...help?!

The compressor will amplify any unpleasant sounds that are in front of it. Have you tried ABing w/ and w/o the comp or any other pedals in your rig? See how just the two TS' and the comp sound in the chain then maybe plug in the wah and q tron? Those are buffered and will play a role as well w/ tone for better or worse.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Stecks

Quote from: webephishin on September 02, 2012, 10:29:48 PM
I figured this post would fall under this category of a thread....could someone give me some tips on how to reduce this nasty, ear-piercing feedback i've been getting ever since i threw in a 2-knob keeley compressor to my rig?  I keep the sustain knob at about 8-9 oclock and the level is at about 3-4 oclock.  I don't know if I'm just standing too close to my amp or if its just the amount of drive i have going when both ts-9's are on.  Even after sustaining a note for too long (an example would be during the long notes in 2001) the high pitched feedback comes in relatively quick.  You can hear when trey plays it that the feedback comes in at a perfect time...could it be because my volume knobs are cranked on my guitar?  Because when I turn those down, I can't get the desired length of sustain out of my notes...help?!

Here's the thing about TS9's... they're noisy as hell.   You might also want to make sure you don't have any shorted cables, or blown pots, etc...  

And yeah, bring your compressor down... With compressors, a little goes a long way.  Is it at the end of your sequence?   You might want to try turning your AMP up and your PEDALS down... my advice.   Think if you were playing through Trey's rig - that fucker is loud.   You can go easy on the pedal levels.  

I just read about your rig... wow you and I have a very similar setup.. I'm a Schecter dude, I play through a 71 Twin.  I play through the vibrato channel usually with the bright switch OFF.   Schecters can lack on the low end and get REALLY bright/pitchy, I usually have to throw my tone to about 5 or 6 on the guitar...   Since we have a similar thing going on, this is my advice on the feedback...  Keep your guitar volume up all the way.  Invest in a volume pedal.   How proficient are you with switching between your pickups?  My C1 classic is REALLY heavy and feeds back like a motherfucker - especially on the bridge pickup.  Its all about finesse.. maybe try heavier strings.   A trick I use somewhat because of how I use my tone knob is that I turn my Twin's Treble up pretty high to about 8-9 and then when I really want to get nutty I blast up my tone knob.  Do you usually play with your reverb on?   You can use your compressor or wah pedals to control your feedback pretty well - I generally don't gain any volume when I throw on my Ross, but I DO get more feedback.... 

But then again, don't believe anything I say... if it sounds good to you, then it IS good :)  You really CAN'T do anything wrong, which is why I love playing :)
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

webephishin

I, like you, played through the vibrato channel with the bright switch off.  To be honest, I don't do much puttsing around with my tone knobs...I usually just use my volume knobs.  I am pretty good with switching between my pickups.

I honestly think that high end I was getting was 90% of my '73 Twin.  I went to the guitar store and played on a mint condition (but used) Fender HR Deville 410 and it sounded much better.  It fits what I was looking for as far as tone goes.  So, I ended up selling my twin and replacing it with the deville and I am the happiest camper as of right now.  I get a much more driven, mid-range, and sustainable tone through the deville compared to the Twin.  I like to put it: the deville is much more rock and roll than the Twin!!

To answer your other questions, I do indeed play with reverb on all the time.  Ever since I started playing with it I haven't found a reason to ever turn it off...I love that fender-wet reverb.  I also picked up a Black ross a while back and I have that in my rig instead of the keeley.  The keeley can barely match the level- i have to keep its level around 3-5 oclock which I didnt' really like.  The black ross match's the level even around 12-1 oclock.  I keep it at 1-2 oclock with the sustain at about 10-11 oclock. 

Like i said, the deville and the black ross have been making me sound better than ever before and i love it. I LOVE MUSIC!!! hahaha
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Heady Jam Fan

Awesome dude, glad you happy with your rig! I always focus better on playing when I am happy with my rig.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Stecks

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on November 24, 2012, 01:19:48 PM
Awesome dude, glad you happy with your rig! I always focus better on playing when I am happy with my rig.

Whenever I'm playing out on someone else's rig, I feel like I'm cheating on my girlfriend with someone else's girlfriend
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ