Big Daddy Freen Rig

Started by raisingfreen, August 01, 2012, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raisingfreen

Umm... Just wanted to show what can happen when the kids finally get to bed, the wife is out at karaoke, Daddy's in the man cave and there is no cable TV (seriously, ever). With this new board/rig I can finally play both kinds of music — Country and Western.

Powered by Pedal Power 2 Plus. (Very cool for effects that benefit 12v such as Repeator, Ts9 and Ross, just switch the dip switch) Plus isolated individual outputs.
Courtesy outlet used for Nanoverb (slow rotory setting) Footswitch is for Nano Bypass.
Cables courtesy of AO Guitars. All I know is they are blue and work really good.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

IamWILSON

Nice board Freen!  A nice small grab and go board of all the essentials.  And how 'bout them Good Ol' Blues Brothers...Boys!  If necessary you could probably add a small (not too tall) pedal on top of the Nanoverb too! 
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Heady Jam Fan

Sweet, how do you like the Nanoverb?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

raisingfreen

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on August 02, 2012, 09:00:20 AM
how do you like the Nanoverb?

I love it for the one thing I use it for. With the mix set semi low I can dial in just the right amount of slow rotory/leslie (wet) sound for chords or passages. Just ads a different flavor for some things. I could have probably mounted the footswitch on top of the nano. I like it how it is however.

The nano's rotory setting is a very decent emulation and with the mix knob it can get even more convincing or become its own thing. It can be set at fast or slow so just two options. For the price they are wonderful tools.

Heady Jam Fan

Thats sweet, no need to move the footswitch unless your dying to put another pedal on there.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

raisingfreen

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on August 02, 2012, 11:07:13 AM
Thats sweet, no need to move the footswitch unless your dying to put another pedal on there.

Actually, I would really like to try either the stacked overdrive thing or just have the room for when the Black Cat Vibe arrives. In ether case I could just move the Boss switch to the top of the nano. I have another Ts9 that I have been too lazy to send in. Need to get some more cables made from AO as well.

BTW...Found this link to Vibrolux mods (that you can do your self) http://fenderguru.com/amps/vibrolux
and have been loving the extra gain by removing the V1 tube and changing the (PI) V6 to a 12ax7 (Most people use channel 2 anyway). Basically just move V1 to V6. There is also one in there about changing the V3 to a Au7 instead of At7 to get more range on the reverb. Worked perfectly.

Now I could use some cool 10inch speakers. I still have the original CTS Ceramics in the amp.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: raisingfreen on August 04, 2012, 12:20:03 AM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on August 02, 2012, 11:07:13 AM

Actually, I would really like to try either the stacked overdrive thing or just have the room for when the Black Cat Vibe arrives. In ether case I could just move the Boss switch to the top of the nano. I have another Ts9 that I have been too lazy to send in. Need to get some more cables made from AO as well.

BTW...Found this link to Vibrolux mods (that you can do your self) http://fenderguru.com/amps/vibrolux
and have been loving the extra gain by removing the V1 tube and changing the (PI) V6 to a 12ax7 (Most people use channel 2 anyway). Basically just move V1 to V6. There is also one in there about changing the V3 to a Au7 instead of At7 to get more range on the reverb. Worked perfectly.

Now I could use some cool 10inch speakers. I still have the original CTS Ceramics in the amp.

Hmm, interesting... Acknowledging the coolness of the Black Cat, but moving on to the amp. A 12AX7 has more headroom than an AT7 that I suspect was in the V6 (PI) and the AX7 passes less current to the power section (in my limited understanding). Do you mean gain as volume or overdrive? Gain means volume, but often is used as a term for overdrive when discussing pedals (because pre-clipping stage volume knobs are labelled gain; as they increase volume, they increase clipping). I don't know much about the Vibrolux aside from the fact they are cool, IIRC SRV used one at some point. Also don't know what the V3 is in a vibro, but  I could look it up, but an AU7 that would also decrease volume and headroom despite the common conception that it does the opposite. Just depends on your needs and what tone you like. A 5751 might be worth looking into, and I also heard interesting thing about 12BZ7 if your experimenting; I forget the details, but IIRC a BZ7 is almost like at AT7 fucked on an AX7.

Stacked OD: talking about 2 TS9s? If I am honest, I almost never use the higher gain TS9 any more. I could probably get by with only one, but no rush to sell my 2nd. I think it is the lead channel on the Mesa that makes the difference. Any good midrange boost pedal might do the trick, just set the gain(;))/OD at noon on the TS, I don't find a lot more overdrive after that, more side-effects.

On that note, I play with a drummer pretty often, lot of jammy improv, and I invited a bass player tonight who brought his Fender Ultimate Chorus, which I had never heard of. It sounded decent (for what it is) with a guitar, but terrible when he played the bass through it (I think the bass was rattling the reverb tank, but he didn't believe me). Anyway, I said we should switch amps cuz his 'reverb tank' was having diarrhea and the MKIII took the bass fine, but setting up his Ultimate Chorus, almost seemed Mesa influenced; had a second channel with a mid-boost option (not comparable to the mids on a Mesa) and an Effect Loop on not common on a Fender in general. Cool amp (more than I expected), he tried to sell it to me for $300.

Sorry, once again, ETOH stream of conscious.