Main Menu

O

Started by Poster, October 21, 2007, 12:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strangedesign

Quote from: \"posternutbag\"hey guys,
 i just had a moment of clarity and i think i might know what mystery effect this is. its really starting to drive me wonky, but ive listened to the recordings i have in which he uses whatever this thing is ive noticed a few things. 1) it doesnt take him but a split second to engage it 2) you never here it without wah wah 3) nobody has mentioned seeing a new addition to his rig recently, except for maybe the return of a compressor that used to be in there anyway

now after years of smoking tons of weed and watching sherlock holmes iam going to go out on a limb and say what if our mystery effect is the most obvious? in other words, if we always here this new gadget with wah, what if its simply a wah wah with adjustable trem pots, thats tweaked to sound super bassy with maybe a hint of octavia? my vox wah is getting modded right as we speak in CO somewhere so i can tweak the trem, have a DC jack, LED to know when its on/off, and getting all guts replaced with shiny new guts, oh and true bypass. its a very real option in my mind because you can do these mods to any old thomas organ, cry baby, or vox wah and you can really get any tone of them after the mod. what you guys think? puff* puff*  :roll:   :P
If that is it I wonder how he makes the adjustment from normal to muddy. Another possiblity might be the CAE Super Tremolo. yo can adjust the rate and DEPTH on the fly with the expression pedal. He could have the depth turned very low with the wha and maybe some overdrive.
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

strangedesign

That is it! It also looks like he walks over and push one thing and it stops. Just can't tell which one he pushes.

www.strangedesign.org

strangedesign

I was just looking arund on Tom Marshall's myspace page and found another pic with the effect on top of Trey's rack. There are actually 2 effects on top of his rack.

www.strangedesign.org

Stiles12

I just saw p groove in the New York this weekend, Brock butler is a very good guitar player, but, because of their lack of fans I was able to stand right in front of Brock as he played. He uses a lot of effects (a lot of standard effects) one effect he had was \"the Pog\" octave generator. I no trey does not have this thing jammed in the back of his rack but, Brock put on a moded DD-6 (analog) a little bit of the supa-trem, a very small amount of the Moog frooger, the POG and his dunlop adjustable wah. The sound that was coming out was surprising very similar. not perfect but the way the octave's tracked and rang out were very similar.
He has \"The POG\" which is a elctro harmonix product. the one with the sliders on the face, not just the stomp box. i have Brocks entire rig in detail if you guys ever wanted to know. he wrote me a letter one time with all his pedals and guitars and how he uses them, its pretty cool.
not see'in a lot of p groove fans out here, but i just hate the biscuits that much, and string cheese is gone, not a big umphreys guy, 10 dollar shows in bars seem to be the way to go for me.
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

strangedesign

Quote from: \"Stiles12\"I just saw p groove in the New York this weekend, Brock butler is a very good guitar player, but, because of their lack of fans I was able to stand right in front of Brock as he played. He uses a lot of effects (a lot of standard effects) one effect he had was \"the Pog\" octave generator. I no trey does not have this thing jammed in the back of his rack but, Brock put on a moded DD-6 (analog) a little bit of the supa-trem, a very small amount of the Moog frooger, the POG and his dunlop adjustable wah. The sound that was coming out was surprising very similar. not perfect but the way the octave's tracked and rang out were very similar.
He has \"The POG\" which is a elctro harmonix product. the one with the sliders on the face, not just the stomp box. i have Brocks entire rig in detail if you guys ever wanted to know. he wrote me a letter one time with all his pedals and guitars and how he uses them, its pretty cool.
not see'in a lot of p groove fans out here, but i just hate the biscuits that much, and string cheese is gone, not a big umphreys guy, 10 dollar shows in bars seem to be the way to go for me.

I love PGroove! If you have the details of Brocks rig please post it in the OTHER ARTIST RIGS Thread

http://forums.strangedesign.org/viewforum.php?f=35

Thanks!

www.strangedesign.org

Walker done done

Sweetness!  I'm gonna see if the local stores round here have one., may end up getting one, thanks for the hard work!

PS - check this out! http://www.noisefx.com/article/mxr_blue_box_mod

Now, I don't know JACK SHIT about wiring/electronics/modding, but this guy explains it so well, and with clear pics, that I may get one just so I can mod it myself and see what happens.  What do you think?
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

glide7575

I think I may have it figured out, or at least have a sound that's close enough for me to enjoy playing it.

My original thought was the Whammy, so I set it to drop an octave, which got it in the general area but was lacking the wah and just wasn't "it". So I fooled around a bit more, turned knobs, screwed with distortion, then started switching pickups. As soon as I switched to the bridge position humbucker it added that wah type sound not present in any other pickup position, but it wasn't crisp so I had to turn the tone knob all the way up. Then I noticed if I let a note sustain on lower pitched notes it quickly got garbled. There was nothing I could figure out to work around this problem.

I decided to take a look at the Live in Brooklyn DVD to see what was going on there, and I found a few things that support my theory.

1. Trey's pitch is much too low for the position on the neck he's playing at, indicating an octave drop.
2. He is killing the notes instead of letting them sustain, with the exception of the note he slides out of. I went back to test it and if you don't strike that note really hard it is at a high enough pitch as to not cause the garbled tone problem.
3. When he kills the effect he leans to his right (Whammy), then forward (turn off loop, or maybe channel selector for the Fender), then goes for the tone knob as soon as he gets the chance, which is what I had to do to remove the piercing treble after the pedal was set back up to normal pitch.

So, maybe so or maybe not, but it sounds good to me ;)

strangedesign

Here is an up close and personal view of Trey creating this sound

skip forward to 7:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-yucgRp5k4

www.strangedesign.org

cbrownecu

anybody know which pitch shifter setting on the Whammy Trey uses to get the tone used for the solo on Back On The Train?

strangedesign

i'm pretty sure that's same setting. whammy II set at 1 oct down + ts9 + wha

www.strangedesign.org

cbrownecu

hmm...I've listened to it a lot the last couple days, and to me it doesn't sound so much like a wah as it does the Uni Vibe. Check out the BOTT from the Live Phish 4 (6.14.00 Drum Lagos, Japan), he starts the solo and doesn't have the pitch shifter effect, then stops playing completely for a couple seconds, seemingly tweaks something, then comes back in strong.

I'm getting ready to pick up a whammy in the next couple days so i'll mess around with it and see.

rechemistry

i have the newer red whammy and am looking to get a whammy 2 if anyone is interested in letting go of one. i saw a post awhile back where someone was selling one...

strangedesign

i got mine off of ebay. I really can't remember what i paid. It was somewhere between $150-$250.

www.strangedesign.org

raisingfreen

Anybody ever tried using the slightest bit of a vibratone? That along with some ts9 can do alot. I think people are getting wha confused with his use of variable speed tremolo as well as various other things. Wha alone is to distinct to produce some of the sounds described. Also I wonder if the Nevermind sound that was mentioned earlier was actually Pages piano or clav going through a leslie. Is it possible there are other sounds that are happening that are not produced soley by Trey. Page does some stuff too.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux