NO Chance he plays a GCB

Started by Stiles12, July 23, 2008, 10:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strangedesign

Quote from: cactuskeeb on July 30, 2008, 07:52:04 PM
That's why there's four of them in the rack, that is, four nano- or microverbs (the preference lies with the latter, as Trey has clearly demonstrated).  Trey often had systems on stage that contained multiples of the same effect (see below, for instance, which shows four verbs, two digi delays, and doubles of both the vibe and trem units). 

Very interesting! I have never noticed the duplicate setup before.
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Stiles12

Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

glide7575

Poster, you mention analogman is for noobs. I was about to purchase 2 ts-9s modded like Trey's from his site. Is there a better place to get those, or are you just referring to the truly custom "I want this,can you do it?" mods, as opposed to the off the shelf pedals modded the same for everyone?

Also I think maybe some of those extra delays, tremolo, vibes might just be backups (notice the extra amp that doesn't appear to have anything plugged in or mic'ed). I know The Edge's rig is a monster, and he actually uses multiple delays for his sound, but there are still backups in there. This pic doesn't show it but I saw another closer shot somewhere that shows all the spare units labeled.

Aren't you glade you're not shooting for his tone, that thing would fall through my bedroom floor ;D

I also think Trey probably likes to be able to take his rig wherever he goes, and removing backups (although I'm sure he has them on hand on tour) and having a small rack would make that a lot easier. Plus I think if his entire rack went out he could just go through the wah and the screamers straight to the Fender and I doubt people would get up and leave. The Edge on the other hand, could you imagine him playing "Bad" or "Where the Streets Have No Name" without his delays, it would sound like my first guitar lesson :) Not knocking The Edge or anything. I think he's great, just a lot of his genius lies in his use of effects.

BTW, a lot of Edge heads and others are raving about the Fractal Axe-FX http://www.fractalaudio.com/, claiming it's replaced almost all their effects and amps. Has anyone had any experience with one of these trying to duplicate some of Trey's effects, particularly the vibe, trem, microverb, and Deluxe Reverb? Just those effects and a Deluxe Reverb would run almost $2000. Just thinking I might be able to get those effects, and a load of other goodies at about the same price  ??? I know how strongly people feel about their vintage tube amps and effects. However, I've followed reviews closely on all the modeling hardware and software and they are usually split between people saying their new POD, amplitube or whatever is the shit, with the other half saying it sounds like shit and they would never give up their tube amp. With this thing I can barely find a bad review, with a few saying there was a slight difference but not big enough to say which was truly better.

Poster

well ive been saying it for a long time now garmopat mods does some of teh best work on wah wahs and tubescreamers. hes in extremely bad health these days so id visit garmopatmods sooner than later. and yes analogman is a noob website whos wait times and prices are laughable.

SoundLikeMyself

Hate to say it but all TS mods are the same.  To turn a TS9 into an 808 involves changing 2 or 3 resistors.  Anyone tries to tell you that they have special stock 4558's is pulling one over on you.  NJM=JRC.

How do I know?  I've built them from the ground up.

This Garmopat does seem to have better prices for basic mods but I don't see the Langdraf mods that Trey uses in his TS9's (aka the Silver Mod by Analog Mike).

raisingfreen

I agree with above posts the GCB does not sound close. Analogman does do some cool mods to the GCB though. I have one with a bad switch that I cant fix so I may send in. These boxes seem like hey can be used or modded to vary the rate of other items as well such as tremolo rate or depth. I believe this is what Trey is using to control his trem, or at least it seems that way.

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Poster

^ send it to garmopat mods instead. infinite possibilities, second to none build quality. mine has seen over 40 gigs now no problems.