Use of the Compressor?

Started by Mound1, June 11, 2009, 10:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mound1

I have seen a handful of pics of Trey's recent setup and I'm glad to see the compressor has made its way back.  Has anyone noticed if he's using it as much as he used to?  His tone seems a bit different, but, of course, that could be due to the new 'doc he's been using.

Thanks!

mcgrupperton

It seems like he is, but maybe they are all playing that well together and even his raw tone is working :P

JHe's def using it alot now, squirming dividedskyalishiouslfluffheadly etc ly.

Poster

Quote from: mcgrupperton on June 11, 2009, 11:16:16 PM
It seems like he is, but maybe they are all playing that well together and even his raw tone is working :P

JHe's def using it alot now, squirming dividedskyalishiouslfluffheadly etc ly.

nope. i just hit a few shows trey side, the ross is cranked to max on volume and 12 on squeeze all the time. he only turns the overdrives on and off and uses the volume knob on his guitar

mcgrupperton

Damn you got close. I never got closer than mid-back orchestra. Glad to know hes re-aquainted with his compressor. So you're saying he's using it ALL the time again? Gravy stuff.

ColForbin

Quote from: posternutbag on June 12, 2009, 12:27:51 AM
nope. i just hit a few shows trey side, the ross is cranked to max on volume and 12 on squeeze all the time. he only turns the overdrives on and off and uses the volume knob on his guitar

Sorry for being stupid, but by "squeeze" do you mean the sustain knob? 
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Poster

dopaphrit

Man I personally don't get down with all the compression. I do like it, but not too much of it. Like in the 93 Roxy shows, I can barely hear some of his lines b/c its so overcompressed that it just gets muddy. On the flipside, I liked the super raw '03-'04 tone, but I felt like it wasn't right for him, & it was often too harsh & his Deluxe verb seemed to be cranked too loud to have any clean sound left . I thought the Hampton reunion tone was a a very happy medium between the two. I'm gonna go out on a limb & say that the sound of his guitar at those 3 shows is some of my favorite Trey tone.

ColForbin

I'm listening to the Knoxville show right now and loving Trey's tone, it's dandy.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

mcgrupperton

Knox sounded real nice. PYITE and the second composed section of Bowie really stood out...really in the pocket and kickin.