Main Menu

New Pedal Search

Started by the_great_lemon, November 21, 2011, 11:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_great_lemon

Hey guys, this is my first post after following this forum for a good while (poster scared me off while he was still around...)  So I've been looking for some advice on some new pedals to splurge on...but first here is my current setup:

From a Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Old Boss Octave -> Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah (POS!) -> Boss Blues Driver (Low Gain) -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey (High-er Gain) ->Tuner ->MXR Carbon Copy
Into a Fender Blues Jr. NOS

The next pedals i was thinking about jumping on were (in this order) Silver TS-9, CMATMODS Compressor (3 knober), Mojo Vibe, Garmopatmods Vox Wah, and a Supa-Trem.  Let me know what you think about these or any other pedals that could help me reach the better tones my guitar and amp are capable of.

Note on the octave: i like to have it first in the chain because 1) it tracks better because it's kinda lame 2) with both the octave and my wah engaged, i can control how much of my regular signal vs. my octave-d signal is present.

Thanks guys!
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

fulltone1989

Quote from: the_great_lemon on November 21, 2011, 11:46:14 AM
Hey guys, this is my first post after following this forum for a good while (poster scared me off while he was still around...)  So I've been looking for some advice on some new pedals to splurge on...but first here is my current setup:

From a Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Old Boss Octave -> Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah (POS!) -> Boss Blues Driver (Low Gain) -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey (High-er Gain) ->Tuner ->MXR Carbon Copy
Into a Fender Blues Jr. NOS

The next pedals i was thinking about jumping on were (in this order) Silver TS-9, CMATMODS Compressor (3 knober), Mojo Vibe, Garmopatmods Vox Wah, and a Supa-Trem.  Let me know what you think about these or any other pedals that could help me reach the better tones my guitar and amp are capable of.

Note on the octave: i like to have it first in the chain because 1) it tracks better because it's kinda lame 2) with both the octave and my wah engaged, i can control how much of my regular signal vs. my octave-d signal is present.

Thanks guys!

Hmm well you sure have a TON of options to go with. I'd upgrade that wah first, and then possibly getting a supa-trem on the cheap on ebay or something.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Walker done done

TGL - welcome to the SD!  I think you're on the right track with everything, really depends on what you think you need for your own sound, but all those pedals that you're looking to acquire are great.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

picture_of_nectar

I'd ditch the wah first. Conside finding a used Teese RMC3. I love mine.

Also, I have a SupaTrem and love it, great pedal and easy to adjust on the fly.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

MomaDan

I just bought a RMC Picture wah  ;D will report back when I actually receive it next week
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

IamWILSON

I really like my RMC 6.  Only has 3 knobs, but you can achieve a wide range of sounds/tone as you tweak them.  I also think it seems much easier than trying to adjust the many components that make up the RMC3, and costs a little less.  Of course I prefer having effects and amps with less options so I spend less time fine tuning and more time playing.

And I'll never take my SupaTrem off my pedalboard!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Happyorange27

Lemon welcome. I be the advocate for you to get that BJ modified. Go get most of the Billm mods when money permits. If you like Hendrix/SRV keep that Jensen speaker. Too harsh for me. Otherwise swap for something warmer like a hemp speaker or similar. If you make your guitar and amp alone top notch, the rest will be icing on the cake.
I think your agenda looks good for pedals.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

the_great_lemon

Thanks guys!  I'll probably grab the wah first.

On an unrelated note: I was reading up on some other compressors today and i came across the barber tone press. Does anyone have any experience with these? Would you possibly recommend it over the CMATMODS Comp?
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper

sour d

Recently I got the chance to try out the danelectro cool cat drive and I would recommend it to anybody that wants a OCD but can't afford it. The pedal circuit has been confirmed to be a clone of the ocd and to my ears sounds pretty damn good for under $50. Also if you ever wanted a timmy overdrive the cool cat transparent overdrive is said to be a clone of that. I didn't believe it but then I heard it.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

the_great_lemon

Interesting find sour, but this was my thought process: if i am going to drop some serious cash on a new revamped pedalboard, id rather buy the right thing, rather than something that sounds close.  That's just me though.

@ Happy: besides a different speaker (cannibis rex?) what other mods would you recommend/which have you installed into your Blues Jr? Btw, that's one tasty looking circuit board!!

IamWILSON

Cool cat transparent overdrive huh?  Sounds like a good purchase I'll need to make.  As far as being exactly the same as the TIM, are we talking the v1 or v2?

TGL- as far as "the right thing, rather than something that sounds close," don't discount some cheaper knock-off pedals until you really try them for yourself.  Just remember the "opinions are like assholes...." statement and go down to the nearest GC and try it out for a week and form your own opinion.  If its not for you, return it before the 30 day guarantee is up.  If it is for you, return it anyway and buy it cheaper online from somewhere else!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Happyorange27

Lemon get the basic mods kit for sure and then the sparkle control and presence control. Then get any of the other mods that sound appealing. I also have clean boost, new filter caps and the high voltage mod. Also have the Hyperboer OT.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

the_great_lemon

Awesome, thanks Happy. I will definitely look into those.

Just ordered a Garmopat Fully modded Vox wah (dual inducters, 3 way tone toggle, etc.) and a voodoo labs pedal power to mount on my pedaltrain.  I'm super stoaked and Gary was very helpful when ordering the pedal.  I hope the wah is as good as the customer service...   ::). I'll report back with my findings soon

picture_of_nectar

nice, you picked a good wah!
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Walker done done

Quote from: the_great_lemon on November 28, 2011, 04:33:31 PM
Awesome, thanks Happy. I will definitely look into those.

Just ordered a Garmopat Fully modded Vox wah (dual inducters, 3 way tone toggle, etc.) and a voodoo labs pedal power to mount on my pedaltrain.  I'm super stoaked and Gary was very helpful when ordering the pedal.  I hope the wah is as good as the customer service...   ::). I'll report back with my findings soon

Don't worry, you're in great hands.  Gary makes a great wah (sounds like you ordered the same one I have) and you're right - he's a helluva nice guy taboot.  You'll enjoy the wah.  It has a ton of options; it can make it hard to dial in the perfect sound as a result but I encourage you to spend time with it and go all over the board with different settings to find what you like the best.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.