Posternutbag's 2011 shanghai roundup

Started by Poster, December 31, 2011, 04:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poster

So what have I learned this year....

1) if you have an idea about creating a product, keep it to yourself, no matter how stupid, or how dead your forum traffic appears to be.
http://www.phredinstruments.com/
(I kid, I think this is hilarious!)

2) After doing a short tour, iam starting to think there is a phishy hollowbody dude in every mid sized town in America, playing in some sort of jam band. This year Ive encountered 2 equators, 1 bunker, and an authentic Doc out in bars throughout the south. Interesting! I used to only see stuff like this in New England. I can dig it.

3) Carr amps eat smaller fender amps. Well at least the 6v ate my Deluxe. Hard to describe, but they throw more of everything. Go try one! ( I did hear a modded Twin that was pretty awesome, so Ive downgraded the Carr to destroyer of only smaller fender amps! )

4) Mesa Boogie Thiele Cabs are great for these small hollowbody type guitars. Because they are ported enclosures they add a little earthy thwack to everything. So when Iam dialing out the annoying perceived bass from my Hollowbody on the amp, I cant turn it almost all the way off, and the cab has a nice round bottom end.

5) If somebody wants to start a guitar company with you, just say no!

IamWILSON

Poster-  Is a Thiele cab w/o a speaker for $335 a good price?  And would a cannabis rex speaker be a good choice speaker to put in it?
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

manicstarseed

Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

Poster

Quote from: IamWILSON on December 31, 2011, 04:58:43 PM
Poster-  Is a Thiele cab w/o a speaker for $335 a good price?  And would a cannabis rex speaker be a good choice speaker to put in it?

Good question. No. Those speakers are not well suited for a ported cabinet. In fact, Ive tried several different compliments and they all sucked. Including the stock boogie compliment they put in there now. The only way to go is an old vintage beast EV 12 L or a big Jerry JBL. Good luck finding one of those in good shape. Not being sarcastic! They are wonderful. Id also like to add that all fender amps have shitty bass. Its the circuit, or any circuit relating thereto. My Carr is basically a hot rodded fender circuit, so this would work for anything like. Itll add that non farting bass no problem.

(really speakers are very subjective. I like mine with super high wattage ratings 100w and up. I want to control the breakup with some degree of precision, not be held hostage by my speakers breaking up. For cab designed to add bass, these speakers may sound a little bright in another enclosure)